• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just got a Todd McFarlane Sketch back...

32 posts in this topic

The book signing was on my birthday - went through the line the first time, he said no to the sketch.  Waited for everyone to go through, and came back to the end - told him it was my birthday and asked again - and he was nice enough to draw it for me.

Todd McFarlane signing 12-11-12 018.jpg

On 6/4/2018 at 4:45 PM, Bronty said:

I get you, but at the same time if he's giving out something for free that gets resold, I think it becomes difficult for the artist not to feel taken advantage of.    

That's the way Paul McCartney looks at his autograph and why he dislikes the dealers on eBay who sell them.  In a documentary, he talks about the situation after a radio station event that he signed some autographs for the people there and the ones that followed him when he left.

7 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

McFarlane's son has started to sell books that his dad signed again.  They come with a funny note from Todd (on a backing board) that you can have customized if you like.  Most have sold for under a hundy.

Do you know his sons ebay name?

On 6/6/2018 at 11:27 AM, Lucky Baru said:

That's the way Paul McCartney looks at his autograph and why he dislikes the dealers on eBay who sell them.  In a documentary, he talks about the situation after a radio station event that he signed some autographs for the people there and the ones that followed him when he left.

Jim Lee's been doing sketches on his twitch streams and routinely gives away 2 sketches everytime.  Early on, a few of those giveaway pieces found their way onto eBay for whatever the perceived market value was (probably $1000+).  Since then he's occasionally told people not to post on eBay.  And he's also changed so that the more detailed drawing is either auctioned off or given away to paid subscribers.  He still gives a freebie away, but it's usually a head shot or bust of some sort.

On 5/29/2018 at 5:31 PM, Blastaar said:

.....sort of. Sent two comics directly to McFarlane Productions close to a year ago with a note 

aboutwhat a huge fan of his I am. Today I got both comics back with the following on one of the backing boards!!! I know that he doesn't sketch often for fans so was super pumped to get this, also noticed he signed it "Toddy", never seen that before. I know it's just a Spider but this is cool right??? What should I do with it? Frame it, can/should I CGC a backing board? What a great guy!!

20180529_161750_HDR.thumb.jpg.277a46372e0fd24fa43d9c7f084bb642.jpg

That's awesome.  I'd absolute get it framed and put it up on your wall.  The thank you note is a fantastic idea, and even better would be throwing in a photo of you posing with the framed pic behind you.