• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you feel about Rob Liefeld charging $40 for a signature and $80 if key issue?
1 1

76 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thank you, I didn't think it was him, and having read the 98, it seems to me Deadpool didn't become Deadpool right out of the gate.

That can be said about every character.  They all evolve.  Yes, Deadpool was shaped by Kelly and McGuinness.  He's been shaped by just about everyone who wrote and drew the character.  To not recognize that is like saying that Bill Everett doesn't exist because Miller made Daredevil the character we all associate him being today.

14 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

That can be said about every character.  They all evolve.  Yes, Deadpool was shaped by Kelly and McGuinness.  He's been shaped by just about everyone who wrote and drew the character.  To not recognize that is like saying that Bill Everett doesn't exist because Miller made Daredevil the character we all associate him being today.

All characters evolve but the analogy with DD is not the point I'm getting at. Some characters are intro'ed as a fully formed idea from their creators (and yes they evolve over time) and some seem like a throwaway, only to be more fully created later. Deadpool seems to fit the latter more so than DD. With DD, Lee clearly had a story to tell. Miller and others of course evolved it over time. Deadpool seemed in 98 like he could easily never be seen again, but clearly someone (Nicienza?) had fuller ideas that allowed him to evolve rather than fade to a one-appearance mercenary. 

11 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

All characters evolve but the analogy with DD is not the point I'm getting at. Some characters are intro'ed as a fully formed idea from their creators (and yes they evolve over time) and some seem like a throwaway, only to be more fully created later. Deadpool seems to fit the latter more so than DD. With DD, Lee clearly had a story to tell. Miller and others of course evolved it over time. Deadpool seemed in 98 like he could easily never be seen again, but clearly someone (Nicienza?) had fuller ideas that allowed him to evolve rather than fade to a one-appearance mercenary. 

Sounds just like Wolverine.  If not for Byrne’s love of the character, he may very well have been thrown away.

11 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Anyone who was reading anything that Liefled "wrote" in the '90s is aware that Liefeld's "characters" are a name, a costume, and a power set, and that's about it. Any personality of character that those characters exhibit is a result of actual writers that worked on them. 

On 6/21/2019 at 7:37 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Nor sure I understand this correctly.  How does Rob prevent people from submitting the books he signs for SS?

I would assume if a CGC rep. would come up to the table to witness he would tell them he would not sign or has just gone to them directly and said don't bother trying to witness.

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I'm lost.  Yep, Stan had a story.  A story that Miller threw a huge wrench in with Matt's dad becoming a drunk who beat Matt, Stick being introduced, and turning Matt into an antihero.  Matt evolved but his origin and what he got turned into are nothing like Stan's and Bill's starting point.  The same can be said about what Kelly and McGuinness did with Deadpool.

Please note that I enjoy the Deadpool that Kelly and McGuinness brought forth.  That look and writing of the book are Deadpool to me.  Just as Miller's Daredevil is Daredevil to me.

1 minute ago, Lucky Baru said:

I'm lost.  Yep, Stan had a story.  A story that Miller threw a huge wrench in with Matt's dad becoming a drunk who beat Matt, Stick being introduced, and turning Matt into an antihero.  Matt evolved but his origin and what he got turned into are nothing like Stan's and Bill's starting point.  The same can be said about what Kelly and McGuinness did with Deadpool.

Please note that I enjoy the Deadpool that Kelly and McGuinness brought forth.  That look and writing of the book are Deadpool to me.  Just as Miller's Daredevil is Daredevil to me.

I'm sorry for any confusion. I'm just saying that Deadpool in NM98 did not seem intended as any more than a throwaway, one and done character.  

12 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I'm sorry for any confusion. I'm just saying that Deadpool in NM98 did not seem intended as any more than a throwaway, one and done character.  

I don't think that is true at all.  He was one of the 5 cards you got in x-force 1, none of the "throwaway" characters got that!

5 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

I don't think that is true at all.  He was one of the 5 cards you got in x-force 1, none of the "throwaway" characters got that!

That's a good point, and I don't know offhand  how many months there were between NM98 and X1 but I don't think it's too many, so there must have been plans for him. I just recall reading it and it didn't seem like a big character rollout. He just seemed, in that issue, like a mercenary who could have not showed up again. I just didn't get that "big plans for this guy" feel from the story. 

Just a kind of humble beginning for a character who turned out to be widely popular. I read it much later as a back issue, so he was already established, so maybe that had to do with my expectation of a "Look! Here he is! Our newest sensation!" kind of story. I was expecting that kind of first appearance (eg -- like reading Nova 1 or Darkhawk 1 -- that feel of here's a new guy we have plans for) and I just got the feel from that story that he was rolled out in a rather minor way. 

Of course, he has turned out bigger than a lot of characters that were obviously rolled out with big plans, but that's the neat part. 

On 6/25/2019 at 3:48 AM, Readcomix said:
On 6/24/2019 at 9:43 PM, Pete Marino said:

That's a good point, and I don't know offhand  how many months there were between NM98 and X1 but I don't think it's too many, so there must have been plans for him. I just recall reading it and it didn't seem like a big character rollout. He just seemed, in that issue, like a mercenary who could have not showed up again. I just didn't get that "big plans for this guy" feel from the story. 

Well, that was followed by the cover story app on XF 2.

On 6/10/2018 at 9:28 AM, oakman29 said:

Rob Lefield is an artistic hack.

Just had to get that off my chest, thamks 

Although I bought some of his books in the 90s, his characters he drew were disappointing and predictable fast!  Major X?  Major Waste!