• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scanning CGC slabs

6 posts in this topic

I've been trying to scan slabs for my inventory, but they just aren't scanning very clearly. Is this normal? My regular comics scan great. Any tips or tricks or should I just stick to regular photos for the CGC books? (shrug)

It is probably due to the type of scanner that you are using.  What scanner do you own?

Depending on the type, it may be a CIS or CCD type of scanner.  Basically, a CCD scanner is able to focus to a deeper depth than a CIS scanner.  CIS will only focus to a relatively narrow depth (unslabbed books).  Slabs are thicker and so the scanner may not be able to focus to the required depth of your slabs.

This causes your scan to look out of focus.

Here is a link to a nice discussion and comparison of CCD versus CIS scanners:

Legal Size Scanner Thread

Edited by chevalmeow
correct grammer

On 6/2/2018 at 3:59 AM, Not A Clone said:

yep it's a CIS. I'll just take it back and look for a ccd. Thanks!

New CCD scanners start at close to a grand. Used is your friend here so eBay and Craigslist.  Look at the thread that was linked above. Lots of good suggestions. My own is an HP Scanjet 8300. They were built like a tank, sold in large numbers to businesses and government agencies.  HP has kept the drivers up to date.  ch

On 6/5/2018 at 10:35 PM, Tony S said:

New CCD scanners start at close to a grand. Used is your friend here so eBay and Craigslist.  Look at the thread that was linked above. Lots of good suggestions. My own is an HP Scanjet 8300. They were built like a tank, sold in large numbers to businesses and government agencies.  HP has kept the drivers up to date.  ch

You can buy a new Epson V370 CCD scanner for just over $100 online. They aren't big enough to scan the full slab, but 11X17 CCD scanners are always going to be expensive. I have one, and it takes decent scans, though I think I liked my old 3970 Scanjet better until it started streaking, and the software stopped being updatable. 

With normal size scanners you either need to scan book and label separately, or crop the label off some. 

This is an image of a comic and label scan stitched together using the V370

cowrom12.thumb.jpg.35109eea936194e40666dccdbb05f179.jpg

On 6/16/2018 at 2:43 PM, rjpb said:

You can buy a new Epson V370 CCD scanner for just over $100 online. They aren't big enough to scan the full slab, but 11X17 CCD scanners are always going to be expensive. I have one, and it takes decent scans, though I think I liked my old 3970 Scanjet better until it started streaking, and the software stopped being updatable. 

With normal size scanners you either need to scan book and label separately, or crop the label off some. 

This is an image of a comic and label scan stitched together using the V370

cowrom12.thumb.jpg.35109eea936194e40666dccdbb05f179.jpg

Great information and even better picture!