• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Ghost Rider #2

7 posts in this topic

I'm guessing this isn't an overly valuable comic, but I have always loved this cover art as well as the opening page. Am wondering what you all thought, and if this issue is worth getting slabbed, thank you.

IMG_6535.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

IMG_6545.JPG

Edited by Ak49

Is that a scratch running across Ghost Riders' leg? The back cover looks like it needs pressed. I'm guessing in it's current condition it's a $65 comic from what I can tell. That line across his leg is what I'm curious about. Can't tell from the pic. 

8 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

Is that a scratch running across Ghost Riders' leg? The back cover looks like it needs pressed. I'm guessing in it's current condition it's a $65 comic from what I can tell. That line across his leg is what I'm curious about. Can't tell from the pic. 

It's a fold. You can see it on lower portion of first page as well.. Prices for me are subjective, but I would like to know what you thought about it's grade, and if you had an opinion or not as to it being worth getting slabbed? Thank you!

With that minor color breaking crease I don't think you can get higher than a 7.5. Pressing should fix the back cover but I don't think that grade could go higher. Even at an 8.0 the value doesn't look to change on that book. It looks really nice. I wouldn't put $ into this book. I would keep it & enjoy it or sell it as is. I always liked that cover!:)

10 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

With that minor color breaking crease I don't think you can get higher than a 7.5. Pressing should fix the back cover but I don't think that grade could go higher. Even at an 8.0 the value doesn't look to change on that book. It looks really nice. I wouldn't put $ into this book. I would keep it & enjoy it or sell it as is. I always liked that cover!:)

Awesome, thanks for your thoughts!  Yes, if someone gave me $65 I'd take it (it's for sale currently) but considering taking it down and actually framing it cuz I love the cover as well. I thought hanging it as a slab, but you're right, with the few I have slabbed I almost wish I hadn't spent the money as none of them came back in the 9's, and that seems to be where today's slab collector's spend their money (unless it's something insanely rare).. I wrote this on another thread as well, but grading has developed into something very different from when I collected. Every comic in my collection I purchased in the 70s and 80s. And this particular issue of Ghost Rider would have been considered a "great" copy by the standards of my friends and fellow collectors at the time. The words "color breaking crease" didn't exist for us, we might have said "Yeah, there's a tiny fold" and the other guy would've replied, "That's not much of a fold. Hell they come off the shelf like that sometimes!" And we would have agreed we got a great copy. Bad copies had tears, missing pages, split spines, and Kool-aid spilled on the cover :)   Just my experience and opinion, not against the current ways, but realized what I thought were great books aren't in the condition people look to spend money on today.. And I do appreciate your thoughts!

10 hours ago, Ak49 said:

Awesome, thanks for your thoughts!  Yes, if someone gave me $65 I'd take it (it's for sale currently) but considering taking it down and actually framing it cuz I love the cover as well. I thought hanging it as a slab, but you're right, with the few I have slabbed I almost wish I hadn't spent the money as none of them came back in the 9's, and that seems to be where today's slab collector's spend their money (unless it's something insanely rare).. I wrote this on another thread as well, but grading has developed into something very different from when I collected. Every comic in my collection I purchased in the 70s and 80s. And this particular issue of Ghost Rider would have been considered a "great" copy by the standards of my friends and fellow collectors at the time. The words "color breaking crease" didn't exist for us, we might have said "Yeah, there's a tiny fold" and the other guy would've replied, "That's not much of a fold. Hell they come off the shelf like that sometimes!" And we would have agreed we got a great copy. Bad copies had tears, missing pages, split spines, and Kool-aid spilled on the cover :)   Just my experience and opinion, not against the current ways, but realized what I thought were great books aren't in the condition people look to spend money on today.. And I do appreciate your thoughts!

I know what you mean about how grading has changed. I remember going to a comic show in my local mall when I was little and seeing books marked as "pretty nice copy" lol. It wasn't until quite a few years later that I learned that "pretty nice" wasn't an official grade :bigsmile: