• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! (and other Kurtzman mags)

26 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2018 at 12:29 AM, OtherEric said:

Onto another Kurtzman edited book.  Humbug was, until the last two issues, printed at slightly smaller than comic book size.  But in terms of content it's very much a magazine in the vein of Mad or Help.  Unlike Help, I've only got a couple issues, and my copy of #1 is in storage in who knows which box.

Humbug_05.jpg

So interesting looking at each and every stamp , magazines were so interesting and hours of reading back then , same as comics , it took a goo 45 min to read a comic many years ago , now it takes five minutes to read a comic or magazine ????

On 6/5/2018 at 10:05 PM, Robot Man said:

Fun and Games is a real obscure Kurtzman effort. It is full of mazes, dot to dot, crossword puzzles and a lot of Help like photo gags. Not one of his best efforts but real scarce.

While I have it handy, I’ll post this undercopy of Trump #1. Very art heavy with great art by Elder, Davis, Jaffee and others. It includes one of Elder’s best pieces. A full color fold out spread of “Our own epic of Man”. If you look close, Alfred E Neuman is pictured with a woman’s bra as an ear warmer!

Published by Hugh Hefner at 50 cents it only ran two issues. A very quality and lavish book, it cost what two issues of MAD or one issue of Playboy cost at the same time. Too bad it failed because it is Kurtzman at his prime.

269BF509-A6A2-4EB9-BFDF-0918E63AD8BB.jpeg

E450775F-1A05-49F6-8DED-BAAAA697C8AE.jpeg

98461357-C6E3-4C07-A5CD-F9BAA92AB8AA.jpeg

E606A559-E460-41AE-BC5B-959907088801.jpeg

Amazing artwork that kurtzman could sure draw , must have take 8 hours just to do some of those individual pages ??‼️ And funny content too ??‼️ So funny?