• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay's latest stupidity
3 3

199 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

just because i am on a eBay rant ,..i am also disgusted with my cable company..

my bill went up this month from $190 a month to $225 a month(cable internet and a land line i don't use and won't save anything if i cancel) and when i call to get it lowered they said no and that i am saving $55 a month already as it is (all lies and i am really considering cancelling everything for a couple months so i won't be on the chat boards if i do...)

We were paying a lot for a bundle through Centurylink for land line, internet and Dish Network.

We switched to Spectrum, and got it all for a little over 1/2 of what Centurylink was charging, or $145 a month.  The internet and TV is way better too.  

11 hours ago, DC|Marvel said:

I must be missing something. I just went into my Purchase history. Clicked on a listing I won today. Had to scroll down a little, but the entire listing is still there. Same thing for a listing I won last week.

Same for item I bid on, but did not win. Went into my Bid/Offers section, clicked on multiple items in the Didn't win section, and the end price with listing specs are still there. 

Good i'm not the only one not having problems. What Windows version do you have?

Just now, Ride the Tiger said:

Good i'm not the only one not having problems. What Windows version do you have?

I actually did not even realize this til you posed that question. All apple and one chromebook on my end, so no windows/PC.

To clear up some confusion, there are TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT screens that people are getting. One of them is this one:

1479999347_hyperlinknolongeravailableebay.thumb.png.f944c09fdb758750b76aa78dcf92e064.png

This was for an ASM #320 that I bid on yesterday. It contains a hyperlink to click on the original listing. 

Here is the OTHER type of screen:

793625778_nolongeravailableebay.thumb.png.84a83c7e030a30184764dd9fce3bcdae.png

There is NO hyperlink, nor anywhere I can see to take you to the original listing.

As well...as the listing ends, the eBay software is AUTOMATICALLY taking you to a totally separate listing if you didn't win the one you were looking at. This is a royal pain.

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I see eBay slowing down in the future for sales because people can now buy brand new stuff from China that is cheaper than second hand stuff from America sellers.

I was shocked at how cheap brand new stuff is from AliExpress. It is significantly cheaper and not just saving a buck or two.

Once most Americans figure out they can buy brand new stuff cheaper than buying second hand stuff on eBay than eBay will be in a world of hurting.

Add also into the factors that the majority of children(younger generation) don't want their parents(older generation) old stuff to buy and digital products is the prefered choice now among the young will find eBay about to get a reality check in the future that the game is changing when it comes to selling second hand stuff.

Wow.  Never heard of AliExpress but after checking out their site I have to agree.  A lot of the items I looked at even included free shipping to the US.

13 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think this is a Windows issue.

When I saw this thread yesterday, I was experiencing the same issue as others - being directed to current alternative auctions instead of seeing the details on the sold item. I am using a current Windows version.

I took the cobwebs off an older computer I still have with Windows XP (!!) and started it up and was experiencing the same issues.

Funny, today I was checking the sold listings on something, and on an auction that ended last night, I was able to get into the sold items details fine, but on the next sold auction, which ended a couple of days ago, sent me to a current alternative auction. Makes no sense.

37 minutes ago, HighRadArt said:

Wow.  Never heard of AliExpress but after checking out their site I have to agree.  A lot of the items I looked at even included free shipping to the US.

It is a gamechanger. Why buy second hand stuff from Americans when you can buy that same stuff from China brand new and much cheaper? lol.

Once many Americans get wise that they can go to many more places like AliExpress and others like it,than I could see eBay sales going way down.

Basically AliExpress and other sites like it cut out the expensive middleman.

So not only does eBay got instant digital products to compete with,but now these brand new China products that are much cheaper with free shipping.

Hopefully, comic books, video games, sportcards, and action figures are immune from this because they are niche.

A good number of other not so niche categories look like to take big hits.

Good luck to the people who sell sunglasses, sneakers,knickknacks,electronics or other mass produced merchandise. :insane:

4 hours ago, comicwiz said:

It's a clickbait scam. What used to take two mouse clicks from a result array has at least doubled the task. AND I'm certain if you increase the number of examples, you will find that it doesn't always show you the full and "original listing." Instead you get a page which says the item is no longer available.

Pumyra.thumb.jpg.11752c5de40390be3bc95fb9d68e5924.jpg

The above showed up in the results array when searching on sold items, with an auction sale date of May 2nd, so it's not like the item is over 90 days old.

The wierdest thing is not a single one of the suggested items is even remotely close to what I am looking-up, so it's bound to frustrate users, and possibly irritate them enough that they won't consider buying anything that's suggested to them. I know I won't.

You're absolutely correct. I tried it again today on a variety of "sold" items. I was repeatedly taken to a page where I had to click on the word "listing" (which was highlighted in blue) which took me to another page where I had to click on "see original listing" which took me to the original listing for the item I wanted to look at. So it's at least one more click than it used to be and it probably took 5 seconds longer than it used to. Oh My God, what next?   ???

51 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I want to do a test. Someone pick a comic, any comic that you can see in finished items. Do not give me a link. Tell me description, title, selling price, seller and date so that I can find it on my PC.

Do a search on "sold" items using the keywords "Hulk 181 CGC" - what I got was the first two results, showing accepted offers below BIN, ending on June 2nd. Those are the most current past sales, and then it shows one on June 1st, and older.

When I clicked either of the two that ended on June 2nd, I was shown an auction for a current listing at $810 with 43 watchers!!!, but if you look just above that auction, it says "the selected item is no longer available."

Hulk181.jpg.ec9ba4ef3ab08113233a6f7979774387.jpg

Clicking either of these sends me to a page showing this:

Hulk181_no_longer.thumb.jpg.4a2e037b7cbeb1cfbf5515aa0ecdab3b.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

The more frustrating part of this is that you have no real intuitive way anymore to find out what the accepted offer was on those listings, BECAUSE you can't even go to original listing page to get an item number.

Instead, you have to hover over one of those two listings (showing a strikethrough amount in green) and when you do that, you will see at the bottom of your browser the full url for the listing which contains the item number. If you right mouse click and select "copy link location", copy the link on notepad, isolate the item number, select it and copy it on your clipboard.

Hulk181_results.thumb.jpg.3bb5526e9d0dcbf0f202d5917a612556.jpg

Once you've done this, go to Watchcount's website and past the item number into the search field and press the "Show Me" button

Hulk181_watchcount.jpg.ad67071179b1974c03dfcd4b04f152f1.jpg

Once you get to watchcount, click the "History" link, which will take you to eBay UK's site, which will provide a summary of offers (in this case, there was just one"

Hulk181_accepted.thumb.jpg.12e44670ef67d9e0fdf02dfff8ca9e49.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

8 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It is a gamechanger. Why buy second hand stuff from Americans when you can buy that same stuff from China brand new and much cheaper? lol.

Once many Americans get wise that they can go to many more places like AliExpress and others like it,than I could see eBay sales going way down.

Basically AliExpress and other sites like it cut out the expensive middleman.

So not only does eBay got instant digital products to compete with,but now these brand new China products that are much cheaper with free shipping.

Hopefully, comic books, video games, sportcards, and action figures are immune from this because they are niche.

A good number of other not so niche categories look like to take big hits.

Good luck to the people who sell sunglasses, sneakers,knickknacks,electronics or other mass produced merchandise. :insane:

Few things to highlight when buying directly from China.

1. Items from China will be more expensive over time as production costs keep increasing.

2. China currently has preferential postage charges with many countries. Those agreements will expire and upon re-negotiation will become more expensive for China sellers. Also - because distributing packages from China is loss making for most postal organizations - they get lowest priority in shipping and therefore can take a long time to receive.

3. Many products are fake or inferior. Be careful what you buy as there are not the same quality controls or requirements. As an example - never buy cosmetics (for your other half :) ) from China. You don’t know what is in it incl any cancer advancing ingredients

4. If you know what to buy - you can get some great deals though.

41 minutes ago, Poka said:

Few things to highlight when buying directly from China.

1. Items from China will be more expensive over time as production costs keep increasing.

2. China currently has preferential postage charges with many countries. Those agreements will expire and upon re-negotiation will become more expensive for China sellers. Also - because distributing packages from China is loss making for most postal organizations - they get lowest priority in shipping and therefore can take a long time to receive.

3. Many products are fake or inferior. Be careful what you buy as there are not the same quality controls or requirements. As an example - never buy cosmetics (for your other half :) ) from China. You don’t know what is in it incl any cancer advancing ingredients

4. If you know what to buy - you can get some great deals though.

On top of that a lot of Chinese sellers are being caught selling the stolen items / fake items that they have centered their business on.

Look... I buy some stuff from a guy that I am pretty sure is stealing straight off the assembly line from the Hasbro plant.  He is still active.  However, Lego has taken a very strong and active approach to removing the countless fake Lego minifigures that are out there.   Those sellers get their accounts banned within a week of listing their items.  So unless you are quick you are not getting the bootleg Lego Fantastic Four figures you so covet. 

Yes, this is crazy.  I was just bidding on an item, and submitted the high bid with about 10s to go...counted all the way down until 0, then automatically switched to another item since it was no longer available!  I think had to click (one or two times?) to see the original listing and to see whether or not I had won (unfortunately was sniped).  Dumb!

Edited by Cozmo-One

6 minutes ago, Cozmo-One said:

Yes, this is crazy.  I was just bidding on an item, and submitted the high bid with about 10s to go...counted all the way down until 0, then automatically switched to another item since it was no longer available!  I think had to click (on or two times?) to see the original listing and to see whether or not I had won (unfortunately was sniped).  Dumb!

I can see a lot of bid retractions being blamed on this and eBay siding with the buyer...

19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

To clear up some confusion, there are TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT screens that people are getting. One of them is this one:

1479999347_hyperlinknolongeravailableebay.thumb.png.f944c09fdb758750b76aa78dcf92e064.png

This was for an ASM #320 that I bid on yesterday. It contains a hyperlink to click on the original listing. 

Here is the OTHER type of screen:

793625778_nolongeravailableebay.thumb.png.84a83c7e030a30184764dd9fce3bcdae.png

There is NO hyperlink, nor anywhere I can see to take you to the original listing.

As well...as the listing ends, the eBay software is AUTOMATICALLY taking you to a totally separate listing if you didn't win the one you were looking at. This is a royal pain.

There are two different ebay pages for each listing, and this is not new. The first one from above is normal, desktop listing information.

The second is a special version of the page that I get only when googling an item and opening that item through google search results. It is less informative and disorienting since I'm so used to seeing the "normal" desktop version.

I would say make sure you are searching ebay through ebay, and not in a google search bar.

Edited by GM8

1 hour ago, GM8 said:

There are two different ebay pages for each listing, and this is not new. The first one from above is normal, desktop listing information.

These are being generated from feeBay's own links, not something I've mined external to the site.

In addition, there have been situations where I have performed a search on "sold" items, and when clicking one of the results in the array, it would take me to a "recommended" item or current listing, with the blue banner and link saying the listing is no longer available. When clicking the listing link contained within that blue banner, it takes you to a preview page of that listing.

You click the "original listing" link from the preview page to see the full listing, and feeBay decides to take you to another stupid "recommended" listing instead of the original listing, and you have to cycle through the madness by clicking at least 6 times before you finally get to a past listing that used to take one or two mouse clicks.

There is nothing normal about it, and this is all happening on their site. And I've been working for the past month on an appraisal assignment, researching at least 3 comparables for anywhere from 25-50 items a day in a 600+ piece collection. This has only started happening over the weekend.

Got my subscription to worthpoint. I used to think I was fine researching using feeBay, but this is absolute madness and if feeBay is monitoring these discussion, what you've done here is insulted both sellers and buyers intelligence with this move. You did it to pad views on listings no one would care about clicking or even checking, but because you're forcing people to look at them, you're artificially creating a "views" metric for your buyers to believe your site is driving activity to their listings.

This will catch up with you the same way clickbait scams have caught up with others.

Edited by comicwiz

So is this still hit or miss, because I'm seeing zero issue on my end. I'm able to search sold items, get a long list of them, and open up their listings without issue. I'm able to look at the complete listing for items I purchased several weeks ago. I'm using Chrome, running Windows 7 Enterprise on an ancient HP Prodesk desktop PC.  As of this morning, eBay is looking at acting exactly as it always has for me. What am I missing?