• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Byrne fake on eBay....

9 posts in this topic

The only thing that may be original work on this piece is Superman's cape but it is certainly not drawn by Byrne.  The art is on thin paper.  Sounds like tracing paper to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282990308463?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Has anyone seen this and reported it to ebay?

3 hours ago, supermanfan said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282990308463?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

You're welcome to try. I did that twice on other pieces and got nowhere.

Let me suggest you notify Bryne and see if he will follow up. It should have more clout if the artist denies authorship. Try him at Byrne Robotics. He has an active forum board there and you could start a topic thread.

5 hours ago, supermanfan said:

The only thing that may be original work on this piece is Superman's cape but it is certainly not drawn by Byrne.  The art is on thin paper.  Sounds like tracing paper to me.

Has anyone seen this and reported it to ebay?

To that end, does anyone think this is a legit Mignola sketch? 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Mike-Mignola-SKETCH-Hellboy-ART/113029062670?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180213162448%26meid%3D39c40ec8889f4be3bc347a775cd39d08%26pid%3D100930%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D282990308463%26itm%3D113029062670&_trksid=p2056116.c100930.m5375

25 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I do not have the expertise to comment on whether it is legit or not, but I saw Mignola at the recent MOCCA selling one like it. But his price was something like $600. Would anyone want to sell it at such a loss so soon?

For a sketch like that, it is hard to tell if it is legit or not.  Seeing the construction lines in the drawing and reviewing the seller's other auctions of artists' sketches, I would lean towards it being legit.   Whoever wins this just may get a great deal if that is going price for Mignola head sketches.

The Byrne fake is no longer available on eBay!   Looks like someone did report it and eBay took it down.

2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I recognize the seller, he is very reputable.

And even if it was priced at $600, it's not priced at a loss, it's an open auction.  As my own 1 cent auction shows, what the price is halfway through the auction is meaningless.

Malvin

5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Honestly, it does look pretty good. The sketch doesn't have the telltale signs of poor tracing, hesitancy and disproportionate body parts you sometimes see. Mignola also draws in that style. So yes, it may well be legitimate. 

But, don't be surprised if it shoots up in price later.

33 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Honestly, it does look pretty good. The sketch doesn't have the telltale signs of poor tracing, hesitancy and disproportionate body parts you sometimes see. Mignola also draws in that style. So yes, it may well be legitimate. 

But, don't be surprised if it shoots up in price later.

May well be? The seller is as reliable as the they come. 

Malvin 

1 hour ago, malvin said:

May well be? The seller is as reliable as the they come. 

Malvin 

Even sellers can get fooled. But if it's a fake, it's a terrific fake. Mignola's style can't be easy to duplicate.