• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOO Sentimental to sell......
3 3

97 posts in this topic

Any of you have a stack of books that you always liked and ALSO came from people you really like or respect.... too much to ever sell the book. I started this thread in Silver, because most of mine are from this era that I grew up in. I'll start with a few to give you an idea what I'm talking about.... feel free to share your own...or just let the thread die a quiet death. I have more to add later ... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I’ve gone thru 3 kids and umpteen nieces and nephews, and NOT ONE wanted to go do nerd stuff with me.

My 31 year old nephew has on-line geek tendencies, and says he’s in, but he lives in Minnesota and is always busy.

?

...anyway, I’m jealous of your moment with your daughters! ?

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I’ve gone thru 3 kids and umpteen nieces and nephews, and NOT ONE wanted to go do nerd stuff with me.

My 31 year old nephew has on-line geek tendencies, and says he’s in, but he lives in Minnesota and is always busy.

?

...anyway, I’m jealous of your moment with your daughters! ?

They are probably still too young and just enjoy spending time with me wherever that may be. I will get back to you when they are in their teens and update you whether they still think its cool. 9_9

8 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

jimjum12 - congratulations for having the intelligence to have Stan sign that Spidey #6 at the bottom of page 1 as opposed to having the signature deface the cover (thumbsu

We had three books done..... it was $ 55 per back then, and we were so blown away by meeting him we forgot to say splash page and he fired off the first signature on the cover of Hulk 6..... the placement couldn't have been worse. I traded it to the LCS and it took him months to finally sell it. I love sigs on the splash page and have several...... I had a Weird Science that my friend William (R.I.P.) had signed by each artist on the story that they did..... Robert ended up with that one. GOD BLESS....

7 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:48 AM, jimjum12 said:

OEtQw2R.jpg

Hope you got lizards2 permission before you posted his picture

.....I got him drunk..... he didn't even know where he was......... GOD BLESS....

I don't have the actual signed book anymore, but I remember going to 7-11 with the rest of my neighbor friends when I was little to meet Spider-Man. He signed the #162 that was on sale at the moment. Every time I see that cover with Spidey, Nightcrawler & Punisher it reminds me of that day. Good times. Would CGC have verified that this was the REAL Spider-Man had they been around at the time and not just a clone?(shrug)

17 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

I don't have the actual signed book anymore, but I remember going to 7-11 with the rest of my neighbor friends when I was little to meet Spider-Man. He signed the #162 that was on sale at the moment. Every time I see that cover with Spidey, Nightcrawler & Punisher it reminds me of that day. Good times. Would CGC have verified that this was the REAL Spider-Man had they been around at the time and not just a clone?(shrug)

Spiderman was at 7-11?

i remember going to 7-11 in the early 80s and there was a video game there we all played. Targ? One day the back had popped open and I looked in while my buddies played and I thought with all those wires and screws if I pulled one wire what could happen? I did and sparks and smoke blew out. We ran. 

Speaking of being by things that pop open, I should tell you guys the story about the time I was a kid visiting the graveyard in Baltimore visiting Edgar Allan Poe’s grave and suddenly a crypt door from the 1700s? of a nearby crypt broke and fell open. I immediately ran in to see old caskets laying haphazardly around and people outside began to seriously freak out. Church officials came running out and were screaming at me so I came out. In the confusion that followed I snatched up the rose that the mystery person puts down on Poe’s grave on his birthday (which was the day I was there) and ran. 

I wouldn’t trade that rose which I still have. It’s not a comic but it’s something I have sentimental value so it’s still kinda keeping on topic. 

Edited by NoMan

That was one of my oldest Spidey back issues growing up (I also had a coverless copy of #2). I think it was missing 1 non story page and purchased from Howard Rogofsky. I always have loved that cover as one of the best in the Ditko run...

782F498D-AA8A-46CF-90FF-89C70514E318.jpeg.20d23c2fab5ec27e013e68163bde0be7.jpeg

Nice, solid copy you got there, sir.

Edited by N e r V

On 6/6/2018 at 3:25 PM, N e r V said:

Couldn’t wait for this. Can’t remember if I had the comic or figure first but both didn’t disappoint.

FF7B817D-5C19-498F-881A-A36D019EC6C4.jpeg.601a4d2ed7aab394027efa3fb3035bb2.jpeg

CBDA5746-1F54-4A90-A701-0D81CB6830CD.jpeg.68722873e12b4bbd6d7ad02ec3be50a7.jpeg

B797D762-4AA6-400C-9359-DFD81567B578.jpeg.51bb371f46ea6c12284a8c76beb27b80.jpeg

I remember having Hulk, Spidey & Lizard. I used to have Hulk and Spidey beat the out of Lizard and it showed. That doll was so beat up lol. My Robin was also the target of many failed Batmobile ramp jumps. I had to tape his top half to his bottom half quite a few times.:bigsmile:

8 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

I remember having Hulk, Spidey & Lizard. I used to have Hulk and Spidey beat the out of Lizard and it showed. That doll was so beat up lol. My Robin was also the target of many failed Batmobile ramp jumps. I had to tape his top half to his bottom half quite a few times.:bigsmile:

I think they both got back at you for that today...

Item Description
8" poseable figure in window box ©1974 Marvel Comics Group. Box is variety with six Marvel characters on sides and no faces on front. This is the type 1 solid wrist lizard. Complete with removable lab coat. Unique sculpted head, hands and feet along with fabric-stuffed tail. Box has lt. wear and window firmly attached. Very nice example and Exc. Figure NM in box. Comes with acrylic case. Rick Whitelock Collection.

Winning Bid:
$762.93 (Includes 18% Buyer's Premium)
Bids:
Bidding Ended:
Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:00:00 PM Eastern Standard Time
Time Left:
Ended
Auction:
Auction #221 - Part II

Value Code:
H - $200 to $400 HelpMini.gif

The original Robin the Boy Wonder figure released by Mego in 1973, which featured a removable mask before the painted on facemask became standard, is presently the most desired and, thus, most expensive figure in Mego’s World’s Greatest Super-Heroes toyline. Like Batman and Superman, Robin figures were produced throughout the entirely of this superhero toyline’s existence from early in 1973 until sometime in 1982. Its previous ubiquity however hasn’t in any way hampered this figure’s desirability among collectors today.

Aside from the standard 8-inch Mego figures, 9-inch, 12-inch Robin figures were also produced and all can be found among the most expensive Mego Superhero figures. But the highly sought after Kresge cards are still at the top of the list for collectors and a removable mask Robin on a Kresge Department Store card recently sold at auction for an astonishing $7,357. Holy most expensive toys ever, Batman!

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:48 AM, jimjum12 said:

I had a next door neighbor when I was a kid who taught me how to draw and got me up to speed on Marvel.... I was in the first grade and Phillip was in sixth..... we had a little gang in the neighborhood, we built a treefort, played war, read comics.... and then Phillip discovered girls a couple years later and we moved away. This FF was one I first saw in his stack and it just blew me away.... this one and ASM 50, which I still need a keeper copy of. Ironically, both of those were on the stands at the same time.... a few months before I started buying off the rack. This copy came from Paperheart and set me back the princely sum of $ 75. I also have another copy from Claudio, also NFS..... GOD BLESS...

fnwM20k.jpg

......this one came from boardie BrianR ..... a good buddy when I was newer here.... we both shared a love for Kirby westerns  and adventure type books.... this was a character I discovered in one of those DC Giants from the early 70.s and fell in love with..... I had seen Kubert's war  books, but his character made me realize just how good he really was.... GOD BLESS...

75jkT5g.jpg

.....this is the last Sid's Luncheonette book I still own.... got it straight from Harry (burntboy)....as a kid,this was the first "old" FF that I ever had..... my Mom brought home a stack of comics from a Church bazaar that Iwas too lazy to go to with her..... there was a room full of comics at 20 for a dollar....I still wonder how many Action 1's were in that room.... GOD BLESS...

bfcyDM0.jpg

..... this one came from Goldust40 when he still had a website..... man he had some fantastic inventory. I always loved lizards and this was one of the stories on the Spidey cartoon back in the 60's and when I finally read the actual comic in an issue of Marvel Tales, I wasn't disappointed. Judy and I stood in line over an hour at Baltimore 2011 and got Stan to sign it :cloud9: ... the guy behind us in line had the original art to the newspaper strip were Peter marries MJ.... This book cost more than a hundred ....GOD BLESS....

KIKrna7.jpg

KuHQDXO.jpg

....... I have a local comic buddy  that I've known for over 25 years. I was still drinking and partying heavily when I met him and he had been sober a few years.... for a long time he was my only lifeline to normalcy. Awhile back he asked me to sell some of his books to supplement his income..... just recently he confessed to me that he needed the extra money because he had started drinking again after 20 years ...he sold everything before he finally "woke" up. This is the only book of his that I kept, but it's kind of bittersweet, considering the circumstances. As a kid, I LOVED the Vulture and always wanted his first...... so thinking Marvel Tales 4 contained that story (...after seeing it in a house ad...) ...it became my first mail order purchase back in the late 60's..... I loved the story  but realized it was his second appearance .....still one of my favorite ASM's to this day... GOD BLESS...

rlneITL.jpg

.....this came from an original owner collection that went through the store my friend Mark owns....called Comic Cubicle. Mark's been a friend for over 20 years also. He started doing shows in the 80's and finally opened a shop around the time of The Death Of Superman..... Mark has a mind blowing collection, whenever a collection comes in he upgrades what he has if a book is nicer. The book here is from the group that yielded those Doctor Strange books ..... from the Lady Physicist. I skipped these SHIELD books as a kid.... thought they were TOO weird, but my tastes evolved. GOD BLESS....

XOak0r3.jpg

..... this one came from my friend Wayne.....owner of Zeno's Books. I've known him almost 40 years...bought high grade Ditko ASMs from him for 25 bucks each in the 80's ..... one time he went to a show and set up. Afterwards he couldn't sleep so went to the Hotel bar and Jack Kirby, a guest, was there tossing a few back. They talked and Wayne told him he had every GA Captain America except #2..... about a month later Wayne got a package from Jack that contained Jack's personal copy of Captain America 2, and he autographed it to boot. I told Wayne that Judy and I wanted a nice Fantasy Quarterly with the first Elf Quest and he said he might be able to help. At the next show, he brought two of the Pini's file copies.... one autographed to him by Richard and Wendy. I kept the autographed one... and a board buddy got the other.  GOD BLESS...

AutgbyH.jpg

.....this is a Gene book and a Harvey file copy,,,, Judy and I fell in love with it and decided to keep it. I've known Gene for almost 30 years .... he comes down from DC with a truck full of comics for trading every few months. We were laughing the other day about how we were looking forward to dinner at Sal's more than the trading. I was admiring some of his Dell Western photo covers .... a Gunsmoke I think.... and he asked me if I wanted a set.... I  said, "a full set of Gunsmoke ?".......and he said, "No, a full set of ALL the Dell photo covers." ..... and he was serious. GOD BLESS...

qIXD3rb.jpg

...another Paperheart book ...... this was the second Ditko ASM I ever read, although it was in an issue of Marvel Tales again. I loved Romita, but I looked forward to those Ditko reprints the most.... and back then they were all new to me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

JMeEuzB.jpg

OEtQw2R.jpg

Awesome post! And that's a nice lizard, too...