• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOO Sentimental to sell......
3 3

97 posts in this topic

I have many,but i'll name a few.

First,the Contact book in my sigline.That's a book my dear uncle Joey(board member Ghost Rider) bought 'from under me' when I didn't quite have the money about a decade ago.He let me keep it in my boxes(we had tonnes of each others comics),but always teased me it was his.He's gone now,and the friendly arguments we had over that book make it far more valuable to me than any of his others I have,light years ahead of the AF15 ect.RIP Joey.

Number two,a silver,is the sweet TTA 93 I bought from 'new old backstock' from my local mag and comic shop way back when I was twelve in 1989.Still a pretty NM- even after my papa and I read and reread it.That is the first comic that got me into old back issues seriously,before that it was what turned up at yard sales ect.I blame my hoard on that one!

The next are some copper age Conans my dad bought for me from a local depaneur.137 is the earliest comic I remember ever having from a store,and that and the 172 are all the books I have from him from childhood.I'll always thank @cheetah for hooking me up with the 9.8s that go with my rags.RIP Papa

And these two.First comics I ever remember buying at a yard sale with my grandfather,likely around 1982.I loved dinosaurs,and that Steve D cover scared me for years!RIP Umpa

(not my copies)

boris.jpg.8229ad3f376f5bddc42f0650f9504bb5.jpg5a9c94e2e19b9_.jpg.75d553348c7b09e26932c43f6ee59c7c.jpg

Richard of Bedrock City is a guy that buys and sells books that most people only dream of .........Pedigees ……..Mega Keys ……… rarities ….. and is a dealer I greatly admire for all his visits and information sharing on this very forum. So many guys want to just take the money and run, but not Rick Bedrock ….. he comes round and slums with the rest of us :x …… anyway, I'm a huge Neal Adams fan and this issue that is my "Bedrock Comic", isn't a high grade Gerber white space book or a Mile High..... it isn't even actually a SA book..... It's a Bedrock 9.2 that I still can't really find anything wrong with it.... and it came out in the early to mid 70's, when it was way to late for me to escape the gravitational pull of comics fandom...GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

DSCN6640.JPG

….. I also have another Bedrock Book ……. this one was also speculated to be by a "young" Neal Adams ….. I saw him at a show and got him to sign a couple of GL/GA books for Judy and I showed it to him..... he said, "My God.... I had forgotten about that, I think I was 19 when I did it...." ……. case closed. GOD BLESS...

4icduPO.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

PS,Jim,I highly,highly doubt i'll ever let that Menace#4 I got from you when I first joined up here!One of the first books I purchased online,my first precode Atlas horror,and the start of a long friendship,although we have not met yet.

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

PS,Jim,I highly,highly doubt i'll ever let that Menace#4 I got from you when I first joined up here!One of the first books I purchased online,my first precode Atlas horror,and the start of a long friendship,although we have not met yet.

…..I'm no where near as handsome as you likely imagine I would be..... but I would spring for a soft serve cone at the purveyor of your choice...…. GOD BLESS...

…… some of that Atlas PCH is just disturbing ….. oh, how I love them.

Edited by jimjum12

37 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

This one is especially prized ….. and it cost me exactly nothing. It's appeal began many, many years ago, when my Aunt, then a rookie High School P.E. teacher, pulled into my Grandparents yard and popped the trunk of her Chevelle to unleash piles and piles of old comics that her students had donated to send to the troops in 'Nam. It turned out that the postage for them all would be WAY more than she could possibly afford, and the kids told her to just find someone who wanted them.... I guess they had all discovered girls or something. Anyway, that's where me, my sister, and my two cousins came in..... we split 'em up. Every now and then I'll see a comic that was in those piles that I haven't seen since that day in '67 and it really opens the old nostalgia floodgates. This is one of those books. I saw it in a paperheart thread and made a comment about it and how I really wished I cold afford it. Lo and behold, several days later a package arrived and this was in it. I contacted Mike and told him it might be a while before I could pay, only to learn that it had been bought FOR me. I found out later who did this..... an infamous Archie collector who I had once bought a book from, requesting to please not let any Archie comics touch the book I was buying..... so he sends it sandwiched between TWO Archie comics lol@143ksk …… this book is also, SO not for sale...… GOD BLESS....

Comic book people are the best! I got the feels...

9 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

This one is especially prized ….. and it cost me exactly nothing. It's appeal began many, many years ago, when my Aunt, then a rookie High School P.E. teacher, pulled into my Grandparents yard and popped the trunk of her Chevelle to unleash piles and piles of old comics that her students had donated to send to the troops in 'Nam. It turned out that the postage for them all would be WAY more than she could possibly afford, and the kids told her to just find someone who wanted them.... I guess they had all discovered girls or something. Anyway, that's where me, my sister, and my two cousins came in..... we split 'em up. Every now and then I'll see a comic that was in those piles that I haven't seen since that day in '67 and it really opens the old nostalgia floodgates. This is one of those books. I saw it in a paperheart thread and made a comment about it and how I really wished I cold afford it. Lo and behold, several days later a package arrived and this was in it. I contacted Mike and told him it might be a while before I could pay, only to learn that it had been bought FOR me. I found out later who did this..... an infamous Archie collector who I had once bought a book from, requesting to please not let any Archie comics touch the book I was buying..... so he sends it sandwiched between TWO Archie comics lol@143ksk …… this book is also, SO not for sale...… GOD BLESS....

ACTION 344.....9.4.jpg

That is a great story, and an awesome show of generosity from a great boardie. I've never seen this one, because I would have a copy of it if I did. Great cover, and I love how Batmania seeped into nearly every DC book in '66 and '67.

Edited by Larryw7

9 hours ago, Larryw7 said:
18 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

ACTION 344.....9.4.jpg

That is a great story, and an awesome show of generosity from a great boardie. I've never seen this one, because I would have a copy of I did. Great cover, and I love how Batmania seeped into nearly every DC book

...I finally met Steve in Baltimore last year and was just too overwhelmed to think to invite him to dinner with Lewis and I …….. He's awesome...even before the free book. I hold him in the highest regard... GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

This isn't a SA book, but it is the one book that I will never sell. When I was really sick a few years ago, a wonderful boardie had a book I wanted to buy from her. As I got sicker and sicker, she said she'd send me the book when I was home from the hospital. True to her word, this was waiting for me when I came home after a heart transplant. For free. bR0CXf.jpgHow can you not love Sharon?

I'd literally have that placed IN my coffin some day..... but not TOO soon. GOD BLESS....

On 6/5/2018 at 12:19 PM, Jerkfro said:

I really don't consider anything too sentimental to never sell. I suppose I did when I was younger but not now. However, the two most likely candidates would be my copies of OAAW 83 and Richie Rich 1

Cool pics!