• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOO Sentimental to sell......
3 3

97 posts in this topic

On 6/17/2018 at 4:32 PM, jimjum12 said:

This one is especially prized ….. and it cost me exactly nothing. It's appeal began many, many years ago, when my Aunt, then a rookie High School P.E. teacher, pulled into my Grandparents yard and popped the trunk of her Chevelle to unleash piles and piles of old comics that her students had donated to send to the troops in 'Nam. It turned out that the postage for them all would be WAY more than she could possibly afford, and the kids told her to just find someone who wanted them.... I guess they had all discovered girls or something. Anyway, that's where me, my sister, and my two cousins came in..... we split 'em up. Every now and then I'll see a comic that was in those piles that I haven't seen since that day in '67 and it really opens the old nostalgia floodgates. This is one of those books. I saw it in a paperheart thread and made a comment about it and how I really wished I cold afford it. Lo and behold, several days later a package arrived and this was in it. I contacted Mike and told him it might be a while before I could pay, only to learn that it had been bought FOR me. I found out later who did this..... an infamous Archie collector who I had once bought a book from, requesting to please not let any Archie comics touch the book I was buying..... so he sends it sandwiched between TWO Archie comics lol@143ksk …… this book is also, SO not for sale...… GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

ACTION 344.....9.4.jpg

Thanks for the many great stories behind those books. I met several great dealers in the 70's that helped steer me in the right direction. I wasn't in a good location to see many nice ASM come to town, so much of my original collection was hit and miss mail order buys. Lots of crooks back then, the new age of CGC is much better for the newer collectors.

For memorabilia, I could take some pictures of the old Marvel Value Stamps, but I don't think anyone wants to admit they cut up 100 comics. I was 9-10 back then, I didn't appreciate comics yet.

6 hours ago, Peter Loves Gwen said:

Thanks for the many great stories behind those books. I met several great dealers in the 70's that helped steer me in the right direction. I wasn't in a good location to see many nice ASM come to town, so much of my original collection was hit and miss mail order buys. Lots of crooks back then, the new age of CGC is much better for the newer collectors.

For memorabilia, I could take some pictures of the old Marvel Value Stamps, but I don't think anyone wants to admit they cut up 100 comics. I was 9-10 back then, I didn't appreciate comics yet.

I'd be happy to see anything that would be harder to sell due to sentiment..... it could just be a really nice copy of your favorite issue from your favorite title.... or your value stamp collection.... it doesn't necessarily have to be Jim Morrison's copy of Silver Surfer 1 that he gave you right before he moved to Paris ….. Sentiment can mean different things to different people. GOD BLESS.... 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:59 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

This is the only thing I own that my wife really likes, because it is just like a conversation we would have.  I know it’s not a silver age comic but it’s the only comic related thing I have that is too sentimental for me to sell. 

DDD96064-52BE-416F-930F-3B0C0607D04D.jpeg

…… that's a fine example..... I put it in SA because it had to go somewhere, and a lot of mine were in this era …… but my "Rick" book is a GA beauty. GOD BLESS....

…… this is one of the books that first caught my eye when I got my first set of Gerbers back in the 90's …. it's from a run of Comics that have NO issues broken out as Classic Cover by OPG …. a glaring oversight in my opinion …. and this is one that should be. 

EBAY 23.JPG

Edited by jimjum12

7 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

…… that's a fine example..... I put it in SA because it had to go somewhere, and a lot of mine were in this era …… but my "Rick" book is a GA beauty. GOD BLESS....

…… this is one of the books that first caught my eye when I got my first set of Gerbers back in the 90's …. it's from a run of Comics that have NO issues broken out as Classic Cover by OPG …. a glaring oversight in my opinion …. and this is one that should be. 

<a href='https://www.ebay.com/' class='notreplace' title='' target='_blank'  style=EBAY 23.JPG">

And it’s the Rockford copy

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, jimjum12 said:

This came from my pal Jerry Ringi (R.I.P.) ……. one of only a couple of folks I actually knew who owned an Action Comics #1. His leopard gecko, "Elton" still lives with me, as his wife Kathy would cry when she sees it. This book is the last book I own from the RJ Long collection ….. this collection walked into Jerry's shop...… the first were a couple of hat boxes full of old Gene Autry's and Roy Rogers comics... the old guy figured they were worth the most.... he'd bought them off the rack at, IIRC, his pop's Pharmacy. He was having some health issues and needed some money..... hoping Jerry might give him a buck a piece for the 2000 books that he had. Jerry, not exactly overjoyed at the idea of adding a pile of old westerns to his inventory told the fellow to bring them all in and he'd see what he could do. A few days later Jerry got around to finally going though all the hat coxes and Apple cartons.... and started noticing how nice condition they were.... and began hitting some Super Hero books..... 10 cent D.C.'s...… some war books......then he came to the ASM 1 at the bottom of one pile..... then the JIM 83, the TTA 27, the AF 15, etc, etc.... Jerry was always a good guy, and told the fellow there was no way he could give him 2 grand for the books.... they were just worth way more than that. Mister Long, impressed by his honesty, agreed to consign them to him..... the keys ended up in what I think was the first Heritage comic auction. The ASM 1 came back a CGC 9.2. GOD BLESS...

DSCN6641.JPG

Great story, man...  :headbang:

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, jimjum12 said:

I used to not care for the cover of this one, but after seeing it in hand, fell in love with this intricate Heath masterpiece

Any Heath is good Heath!  lol 

On 7/5/2018 at 12:05 PM, frozentundraguy said:

This starts out  back in the 60's when I was pretty much buying Mad Magazine every month. My next door neighbor was a couple of years older than me, and shared some of his Mad's from about the 1958 to 1961 time frame. For years I kept my collection of 25 issues or so .... until I traded them for a early S.A. Flash comic book.  Then 2 or 3 years ago I found a few nice issues of Mad at a nearby antique store, and quickly bought them up. Of those I intend to keep issue #94, as it was my fav of my original collection. It's also quite likely in a lot better condition than the book I traded. lol

MAD_94.jpg

I loved Mad! Remember in the 70's they reprinted the 50's comics and had them as inserts in the magazine?

15 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Yes, I have about 3 of them, and just picked this one up at the LSC a week ago.  "Hah! Noon" is the lead off story. 

scan0899.jpg

So great to see them again brings back memories! I was just starting to collect comics then and was fascinated that mad was a comic before it was a magazine. I'd love to have one again. I remember it being kind of hard to pull them out of the magazine. 

18 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Here's another …… also a book that I first saw from the trunk of my Aunt's Chevelle.... although that copy had been read almost to pieces. It was the first low grade comic I ever saw, and oddly enough, something about this cover almost makes it MORE striking in low grade. This copy is pretty nice.... from boardie David_the_David …. my first purchase from him. He called it a 7.0 and I was sure he must have sent the wrong book, because I've gotten 9.0's from major dealers that weren't any better.... so I bought more from him and sure enough, he always sent real eye openers. He's become a friend and is possibly one of the tightest graders on this site. GOD BLESS....

DSCN6700.JPG

Nice! I also like the fact that all those classic comics were in the trunk of a classic car. It just makes for...well a really classic story?

58 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

He called it a 7.0 and I was sure he must have sent the wrong book, because I've gotten 9.0's from major dealers that weren't any better.... so I bought more from him and sure enough, he always sent real eye openers. He's become a friend and is possibly one of the tightest graders on this site.

Wow...this looks pretty sweet for a 7.0. ^^