• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOO Sentimental to sell......
3 3

97 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Roy and I have been friends a while now....and he has an uncanny resemblance to an old friend, now deceased, who once hotwired a steamroller to drive home from the bar when he was too drunk to walk.

lol  I've had a few friends like that myself...you have some very colorful stories!  

3 hours ago, flashlites said:

Nice! I also like the fact that all those classic comics were in the trunk of a classic car. It just makes for...well a really classic story?

….. this will probably be too much to handle..... but the Chevelle was also a convertible :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Unfortunately, much like the Gerber PhotoJournals, my "TOO Sentimental To Sell" collection has it's white spaces, i.e., books that aren't there because the friend is a black hole collector and never sells books.... like William, Lewis, and Greg..... perhaps one day their resolve will weaken. GOD BLESS...

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

@VintageComics

Speaking of tight graders who sell on the boards..... here's my "Roy Book" ….. aka VintageComics…… I bought my first comic on the boards from Roy …. he was known as r1970d back then and the book was one of my favorite comics of all time, Fantastic Four 13..... a scintillating CGC 8.0. It came all the way from Canada and I didn't know Roy from Adam back then...so I was a bit nervous to say the least. It may have been my first International purchase. That book is long gone, but this one is also a fave, though not SA. For a long time Roy collected books that featured gals wearing green dresses, which this one coincidentally has. It also features a Bill Everett cover and story.... plus a Wolverton story to boot. I've owned as many as five copies of it at the same time, which is funny.... because before I ever saw one in person, the cover didn't really grab me. Roy and I have been friends a while now....and he has an uncanny resemblance to an old friend, now deceased, who once hotwired a steamroller to drive home from the bar when he was too drunk to walk. Anyway....the energy of this cover just grabs me and makes me remember that …. GOD BLESS....

JIUW 14.jpg

Jim, that is a very special book.

What I remember the most about it was how fresh it felt and smelled.

Thanks for the kind words. I can also reciprocate and say that it's great to have a friend like you on the boards as we move special books back and forth amongst each other.

Here is one of mine! The artist and character started in the Golden Age and both returned in the Bronze Age, so that averages out to Silver Age!

C.C. Beck was the featured guest at the 1975 HoustonCon. After his talk, Mr. Beck signed autographs and gave out black and white drawings. (I don't recall if there was a charge for the drawing, but I don't think so.) Everyone else wanted either Captain Marvel or his nemesis Dr. Sivana. But not me! I wanted a drawing of Mr. Mind! Mr. Beck was so impressed with my choice that he asked if he could color it in! Absolutely! He then asked me my name and wrote down that it was drawn for me! I'm pretty sure I was the only person who received a color drawing from him that weekend. Needless to say, I will never forget Mr. Beck's kindness and generosity!

To this day, Mr. Mind remains one of my all-time favorite comic book villians!

Thank you, Mr. Beck!!!

Mr Mind by CC Beck.jpg

Edited by PRTeckie

11 hours ago, PRTeckie said:

Here is one of mine! The artist and character started in the Golden Age and both returned in the Bronze Age, so that averages out to Silver Age!

C.C. Beck was the featured guest at the 1975 HoustonCon. After his talk, Mr. Beck signed autographs and gave out black and white drawings. (I don't recall if there was a charge for the drawing, but I don't think so.) Everyone else wanted either Captain Marvel or his nemesis Dr. Sivana. But not me! I wanted a drawing of Mr. Mind! Mr. Beck was so impressed with my choice that he asked if he could color it in! Absolutely! He then asked me my name and wrote down that it was drawn for me! I'm pretty sure I was the only person who received a color drawing from him that weekend. Needless to say, I will never forget Mr. Beck's kindness and generosity!

To this day, Mr. Mind remains one of my all-time favorite comic book villians!

Thank you, Mr. Beck!!!

Mr Mind by CC Beck.jpg

:golfclap:

… just what I'm talking about ! …. as for era, who really cares ?....I chose SA Forum because I had a bunch from then and grew up in those days, but I've posted a few GA items and certainly won't tattle if someone else does. GOD BLESS...

On 6/3/2018 at 5:45 AM, jimjum12 said:

Any of you have a stack of books that you always liked and ALSO came from people you really like or respect.... too much to ever sell the book. I started this thread in Silver, because most of mine are from this era that I grew up in. I'll start with a few to give you an idea what I'm talking about.... feel free to share your own...or just let the thread die a quiet death. I have more to add later ... GOD BLESS...

That describes most of my collection. The early part anyway. Each book seems to have a story or memory...

I was thinking about this thread, and Jimbo’s boardie books.

I recalled the Hulk comics I got from my great friend John. That memory brought back a bunch more; books just perfect for this discussion; all way too sentimental to sell.

I sold them all decades ago, of course, but it was fun to think about ‘em.

These books are recent pick ups from the esteemed boardie drbanner. Mike has been here for a while, and I've had some spirited debates about pressing and such in some of the ubiquitous threads devoted to that subject. I've never laid eyes on him …. for all I know he has one eye in the center of his forehead. He's still someone I hold in high regard. He's also one of those guys who grade so incredibly tight that one would be foolish not to buy from him. I always keep a few Banner Books in my "special" stack. GOD BLESS....

4MsAfnJ.jpg

gVQ8FLr.jpg

JPQnvaG.jpg

hdlt9iW.jpg

These two are from Bender's Books and my friend Dave. I remember when he just worked the store( it was just books, newspapers, and magazines then) and had an agreement with the owner to sell back issue comics from behind the counter. He sold enough comics to buy the place. When I first discovered the place I was in my early 20's and was buying high grade single digit ASM's for $ 30 -$ 40. Dave had a beard down past his chest and hair equally as long.... now he doesn't have any hair. It's been a long time. I remember once needing to use the bathroom, it was up a flight of VERY rickety stairs. On the back of the toilet was a Human Torch 2(#1) that someone had been reading. I bought my first PCH book from him... a Fine copy of Weird Chills 1 for $ 50, wish I still had it. These two are common books and not very pricey... but I love 'em….. not for sale. GOD BLESS...

a9.jpg

ASM 004 RAMOS.jpg

DARKCHYLDE LEGACY.JPG

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/10/2018 at 9:54 PM, jimjum12 said:

.....This is my Buttock book......... Dan is a fellow lover of all things Atlas.... one day out of the blue he asked me if I might be interested in some of his undercopies, he was almost apologetic about asking...... I was like, "HELL yeah.....".....I bought a few from him, but those are gone now. This one, however, which he tossed in for free, is a permanent keeper. In the back of the Mylar, I've also got one of those Marvel chase cards that had actual sketches of Marvel characters by famous artists.... this one of Sgt Fury by the esteemed Ayers .... I used to not care for the cover of this one, but after seeing it in hand, fell in love with this intricate Heath masterpiece .... GOD BLESS....

wSyYsXG.jpg

NOW WE ARE TALKING !!