• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's more rewarding? Spec scores or Finds in the wild

55 posts in this topic

As Hector said - one is just luck and the other is basically foretelling the future which involves a lot of skill and a little luck.  If I can foresee a hot book and stock up for cheap I love it a lot more then stumbling on a cheap key.  But in the long run - found money is found money no matter where it comes from.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

As Hector said - one is just luck and the other is basically foretelling the future which involves a lot of skill and a little luck.  If I can foresee a hot book and stock up for cheap I love it a lot more then stumbling on a cheap key.  But in the long run - found money is found money no matter where it comes from.

Both this & @jsilverjanet post parallel my thoughts. I suspect that the majority have experienced AMAZING finds. Where the minority have experienced AMAZING spec wins. Which is why we don't hear from them here. 

A little bit of both gets the job done. But predicting the future is truly a skill and it does involves a few risks. The more you're at it, the better you get. 

Sometimes there are risks buying collections/books you have no knowledge about as well. I risked spending a grand on some anime books which came across my way. Not only did I flip them for over 3 x my investment money. But it also happened in a few short days. 

Finding stuff in the wild has a LOT of luck involved. But there is often speculation involved as well. There is also the years of knowledge and research that it takes to know what to buy and what to leave when you do get "lucky". Market trends also factor in. Then there is the massive amounts of time you have to put in to "get lucky". Doesn't happen every time. Your odds increase when you arrive real early and the more shows you go to. Nothing quite getting rewarded well for your efforts and when you least expect it.

Oh, and there is often considerable "luck" in speculation as well...

Edited by Robot Man

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Finding stuff in the wild has a LOT of luck involved. But there is often speculation involved as well. There is also the years of knowledge and research that it takes to know what to buy and what to leave when you do get "lucky". Market trends also factor in. Then there is the massive amounts of time you have to put in to "get lucky". Doesn't happen every time. Your odds increase when you arrive real early and the more shows you go to. Nothing quite getting rewarded well for your efforts and when you least expect it.

Oh, and there is often considerable "luck" in speculation as well...

While I agree, still, at the very basic level, any person can walk to a garage sale and find a Batman Adventures 12 for a song. The probability of that happening is much higher than someone speculating on the same book and getting it right. 

Everyone talks about it being luck finding books in the Wild and sometimes it is. 
I don't know about others, but I do a lot of research in areas I am looking. I eliminate places by calling
and looking at their Facebook sites.My time is valuable I don't want to waste it especially if I am driving
a good distance. That's not luck.

2 minutes ago, kdoginohio said:

lucky finds are great, but I enjoy a good hunt for something rare.

I can only find that on eBay. No way will I ever be able to come across a rare book I wanted in the wild as easy as on eBay. May take a while but I always find it there eventually 

My definition of "in the wild" is finding a valuable comic in a time/place where it's not supposed to be. If there's a garage/estate sale with silver age books, I don't consider that in the wild. If I put in the time (finding the sale, going there early etc) that to me is "part of the job" aka the work involved. I expect to find something of value there.

On 6/3/2018 at 12:33 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Spec wins or finding keys in the wild?

This line to me suggests something that comes up, unexpected, an anomaly. To me that's luck especially when I haven't been the first one through the door, or in the box etc.

Luck plays a factor. I never said it's the only factor but it plays a part. Knowledge, hard work help tip the scales in your favor. If I happen to go into HPB on a random day, and on that day i find a book worth more money that it's priced I attribute luck to that. Yes my knowledge played a factor in me identify the book.

Luck isn't a 4 letter word. hm

18 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Luck plays a factor. I never said it's the only factor but it plays a part. Knowledge, hard work help tip the scales in your favor. If I happen to go into HPB on a random day, and on that day i find a book worth more money that it's priced I attribute luck to that. Yes my knowledge played a factor in me identify the book.

Luck isn't a 4 letter word. hm

Well sure, but luck plays a factor is pretty much everything.