• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first foray into original art... Fastball Special

9 posts in this topic

If you are planning to hang it in your living room, don't expect it to set the mood for a romantic date. And if you are married, I would definitely get approval of your other half first.

Everything boils down to what you like and what you can afford.

In general, commissions don't appreciate much (if at all). Furthermore, I didn't see any of this artist's pieces for sale in CAF, HA or eBay. So, it's not possible to get a sense of whatever you are paying is fair. 

Taking a different angle (irregardless of the artist) I would be very hesitant to frame and hang any piece of marker-based artwork. This looks to have a lot of marker shading, even if the linework is not done in marker, and it's hard to say if it is from this shot. Marker is notorious for fading, and being about the least archival-friendly drawing medium. I've stopped buying any marker art whenever possible, and I'd certainly never buy such a piece with framing in mind.

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Taking a different angle (irregardless of the artist) I would be very hesitant to frame and hang any piece of marker-based artwork. This looks to have a lot of marker shading, even if the linework is not done in marker, and it's hard to say if it is from this shot. Marker is notorious for fading, and being about the least archival-friendly drawing medium. I've stopped buying any marker art whenever possible, and I'd certainly never buy such a piece with framing in mind.

Thank you. This is the type of stuff i need to learn. the piece was not expensive ($150) as a novice i wanted to dip my toe in on something that appeals to me from a character and visual standpoint but not knowing the ins and outs. This is good info.

15 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

If you are planning to hang it in your living room, don't expect it to set the mood for a romantic date. And if you are married, I would definitely get approval of your other half first.

Everything boils down to what you like and what you can afford.

In general, commissions don't appreciate much (if at all). Furthermore, I didn't see any of this artist's pieces for sale in CAF, HA or eBay. So, it's not possible to get a sense of whatever you are paying is fair. 

Thank you- again this is all about learning for me so the info is much appreciated. 

12 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thank you. This is the type of stuff i need to learn. the piece was not expensive ($150) as a novice i wanted to dip my toe in on something that appeals to me from a character and visual standpoint but not knowing the ins and outs. This is good info.

You can also take this piece to a "kinkos" type copy place, have it copied in greyscale, than go to Aaron Brothers (they're going out of business, bankruptcy I hear) and pick up a nice cheap frame, and hang it up, then keep the original stored away safely.

If you like it and you want to see it then frame it and hang it in your living room.  I wouldn't collect art just because you think it will go up in value, although that often is a nice perk.  I do frame my good art and hang it because I want to enjoy it, not look at a reproduction or a print or have a stack in my closet that I never look at.  If it makes you happy and brings you joy then congratulations!  

20 hours ago, oldwhy said:

What a great commission! Huge congrats!

Thank you! 

53 minutes ago, Peter L said:

If you like it and you want to see it then frame it and hang it in your living room.  I wouldn't collect art just because you think it will go up in value, although that often is a nice perk.  I do frame my good art and hang it because I want to enjoy it, not look at a reproduction or a print or have a stack in my closet that I never look at.  If it makes you /happy and brings you joy then congratulations!  

Hahaha- isn't that the point of this stuff to enjoy it? Thank you for the reassurance, but being an avid comic collector I kind of feel original art is the natural progression but i think at this time I will put off the covers and splash pages of published art that catch my eye and rather invest that into holes in my comic collection and just enjoy my simple commission...lol