• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tim Vigil

20 posts in this topic

That looks like a pen and ink example. I've owned one convention sketch of Tim's done in pencil. If he knows he's doing a pencil-only piece, then he'll do a tight drawing with shade--something that is not meant to be inked.

I know what you mean by "underrated," but in what respect? Anyone who knows Tim Vigil's work and who likes detailed art puts him in the rank of Master. I know I do. But if you're wondering why there isn't more hoopla about him, it's because he's never drawn for the Big Two, which is why he doesn't have wider recognition (re: demand). 

If you love his stuff, then go for it. Take this free advice for what it's worth: I've been less enthusiastic about his superhero work. Tim really excels in horror. If you go for something in the superhero genre, I'd try to stick close to horror/grotesque as possible, e.g. WWBN, The Joker, Killer Croc. You know, monster looking stuff. Lastly, I've seen some female hero stuff of his that didn't do it for me. 2c

1 hour ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

That looks like a pen and ink example. I've owned one convention sketch of Tim's done in pencil. If he knows he's doing a pencil-only piece, then he'll do a tight drawing with shade--something that is not meant to be inked.

I know what you mean by "underrated," but in what respect? Anyone who knows Tim Vigil's work and who likes detailed art puts him in the rank of Master. I know I do. But if you're wondering why there isn't more hoopla about him, it's because he's never drawn for the Big Two, which is why he doesn't have wider recognition (re: demand). 

If you love his stuff, then go for it. Take this free advice for what it's worth: I've been less enthusiastic about his superhero work. Tim really excels in horror. If you go for something in the superhero genre, I'd try to stick close to horror/grotesque as possible, e.g. WWBN, The Joker, Killer Croc. You know, monster looking stuff. Lastly, I've seen some female hero stuff of his that didn't do it for me. 2c

I'm thinking of going with a classic 40's/50's style Moldoff Hawkman. Just insane detail on the wings and a savage look to him.

I would love to know the story behind him not working for DC or Marvel.

Whenever I think of Vigil, I laugh. Can't help it.

As an older kid, I thought Grips was the gnarliest book I'd ever seen. As a young adult it was adolescence gone wild. But that's fine. The reason I end up chuckling to myself is that for a while in the 90s at least, I remember Tim doing cheap ($50-60 bucks) drawings for folks. But if it was a character he wasn't into, he'd have "fun" with them. "Can I get you to draw Cap?" might yield you a Captain America with a shield and hard-on. "Can I get Batman?" might result in the biggest Bat boner anyone's ever seen. Hyper-detailed throbbing veins, the works. It seemed if folks asked Tim for a non-Vigil character, and it wasn't one he cared for, you got what you got, and he got a laugh. I was half expecting my Deadman drawing to come back to me with a major bone. But it was in fact just a cool Vigil take on Deadman. I think I'd have been fine if it had been the other though, just because the goal of all my commissions was to have the artist's personal take on the character, and if that was his take, so be it. I suspect he'd just get bored to death doing the same drawings of the few characters over and over again, and was just amusing himself. And if you didn't expect a screaming rod, then he figured you hadn't read his work or something.

Of course in these days, the "commissions" didn't amount to much cash, and the folks that walked away pissed didn't seem to give him too hard of a time. I think someone told me once that he only refunded one dude for what he drew him, but most folks were too intimidated by him and his attitude to challenge him on them, even if they were bummed out. Hah.

Doesn't anyone else remember this proclivity?

For all I know, he'd only ever done a few this way, and the legend of it had just spread among the art collectors, making it seem more prevalent than it actually was... pre CAF by a number of years, and very early web days. So most everything was word of mouth, after all.

That's just how I think of Tim, because of those stories getting tossed around back then. :)

Edited by ESeffinga

49 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

As an older kid, I thought Grips was the gnarliest book I'd ever seen. As a young adult it was adolescence gone wild. But that's fine. The reason I end up chuckling to myself is that for a while in the 90s at least, I remember Tim doing cheap ($50-60 bucks) drawings for folks. But if it was a character he wasn't into, he'd have "fun" with them. "Can I get you to draw Cap?" might yield you a Captain America with a shield and hard-on. "Can I get Batman?" might result in the biggest Bat boner anyone's ever seen. Hyper-detailed throbbing veins, the works. It seemed if folks asked Tim for a non-Vigil character, and it wasn't one he cared for, you got what you got, and he got a laugh. I was half expecting my Deadman drawing to come back to me with a major bone. But it was in fact just a cool Vigil take on Deadman. I think I'd have been fine if it had been the other though, just because the goal of all my commissions was to have the artist's personal take on the character, and if that was his take, so be it. I suspect he'd just get bored to death doing the same drawings of the few characters over and over again, and was just amusing himself. And if you didn't expect a screaming rod, then he figured you hadn't read his work or something.

Of course in these days, the "commissions" didn't amount to much cash, and the folks that walked away pissed didn't seem to give him too hard of a time. I think someone told me once that he only refunded one dude for what he drew him, but most folks were too intimidated by him and his attitude to challenge him on them, even if they were bummed out. Hah.

For all I know, he'd only ever done a few this way, and the legend of it had just spread among the art collectors, making it seem more prevalent than it actually was... pre CAF by a number of years, and very early web days. So most everything was word of mouth, after all.

That's just how I think of Tim, because of those stories getting tossed around back then. :)

Yep! The year was 1991 - don't remember if he was still working on wrapping up Faust at that point but I got him to do a commission for me at NYCC - I asked for Rogue...I got Rogue "skinny dipping" in the sky.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1445808&GSub=186361

Ok so I ended up scratching my itch by just buying an old school Wolverine of his. Never bought from this dealer, any reason to think this is not the real deal? Looks like classic 90's Tim V.

wolvhvvjhv.jpg

If he had kept it clean in the late 80's and early 90's and became "company man" do you think he would have had a run on some major characters for Marvel, and DC? Would his name have been spoken today in the same breath as McFarlane, Liefeld, Lee and Silvestri?

I loved Vigil back in the late 80's/early 90's. I pretty much got onboard with Grips at or near the beginning. I remember it being valuable because it was so controversial and violent, so I had to check it out. Then I got into Faust when it came out and followed it for as long as possible (did that series ever wrap up?! I really don't know.) Met him once or twice and got some books signed at cons back in the day. I really know zip about him, though, but I just can't see his style working with DC or Marvel, nor do I imagine he would want to be confined within their structure as far as content or deadlines. Also, TBH, sometimes his anatomy and gesture just seemed a little.... off. It just wasn't quite there, to me. Seems like it was the necks that looked out of whack, but can't remember exactly. Not really a knock on him as, again, I really liked his work.... some artists you can tell just have a weak spot here and there.

Love all the art posted, guys! I was excited when I saw he'll be at HeroesCon, might have to stop by his booth and see what his rates are like.

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

Ok so I ended up scratching my itch by just buying an old school Wolverine of his. Never bought from this dealer, any reason to think this is not the real deal? Looks like classic 90's Tim V.

wolvhvvjhv.jpg

That looks like Tim's work. Besides, I don't think anyone would dare try to counterfeit his work--it's too detailed. 

I don't know the exact reason why Tim never drew for the Big Two. I can only speculate that he's too much of an independent spirit to work with "meddling" editors and deadlines, much like Martin above states. And like Martin S. says, his anatomy was off back in the day, though now he's a master. And yes, the Eric's anecdotes about Tim's runaway eroticism holds true, but fear not of throbbing phalluses on your commissions, Tim has toned it down nowadays with conventions becoming family events. He will, however, draw you some real nasty s***t upon request. 

I'm attaching a pic of a sketch cover that Tim drew for me four years back for reference. I don't own it anymore.

The Joker by Tim Vigil.JPG

7 hours ago, r100comics said:

Any ideas what this is worth ?

I got it years ago among some other artwork so don't know anything about it, other than it looks like a commission.

2114888829_BatmanCatwomanTimVigil.thumb.jpg.ae54adc7094c43747f95246cfcd2bdb1.jpg 

That's bad azz . Not sure you would ever get the commission price back on this unless it was truly unique. What size is it? $300-$500 would be my guess.

Edited by Blastaar

I do want to give a plug for a seller on the bay that I was in contact with recently. He has a great collection of stuff he is putting up that he needs to part with that is at a fantastic price. $50-$120. I didn't snag anything as I tend stick with known hero characters. He is longtime friends with the Vigils apparently. Below is some stuff listed.

fdggsdatdt.jpg

esgfsdgsd.jpg

gfcgcjgc.jpg

egtewtterq.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

That's bad azz . Not sure you would ever get the commission price back on this unless it was truly unique. What size is it? $300-$500 would be my guess.

11 x 14 inch but it's not really my cup of tea.

I'd be happy to trade it for a Pollard Thor panel page if anyone's interested.

On 6/4/2018 at 3:45 PM, ESeffinga said:

Interesting. The question that immediately came to mind when reading this was "does he require payment before or after the art is completed?" ... not sure how I would feel if I paid for a happy Hulk unbeknownst