• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Iron Man #18

10 posts in this topic

Going through my older comics I came across this and had forgotten I had it! As I've mentioned in other threads I'm old to collecting but newer to grading. After a few early mistakes where I submitted books to be graded/slabbed that came back far below what I had guessed, I've begun to study my books in more detail. I have a grade in mind for this book, which I will admit to after I've received a few back (I will be honest, even if I was way off :)  Thank you

IMG_6580.JPG

IMG_6581.JPG

IMG_6582.JPG

IMG_6583.JPG

IMG_6584.JPG

Nice book! I'd give it a 7.5. That color rub/scratch on the upper left blue above Marvel Comics Group keeps it from being an 8.0 I believe. Have any more you forgot about?:smile:

I'm missing something (shrug)

Edited by Not A Clone

Well that's been 3 replies (thank you all by the way!) so I will now fess up.. In my limited grading experience I definitely went higher and put it at Very Fine (old scale), or an 8 (number scale). I have no doubt all of your experience is much greater than mine, so I'm guessing I'm off.

I used two tutorials for my grading analysis: Heritage Auctions site, and MyComicShop. The Heritage site actually led me to believe that the color rub that Not A Clone mentions could still allow it to fall at an 8. Also, when I compare my book to others I found on eBay, and looked at their photos and their grades, I could immediately see that the sheen and color of mine was better than many, but this does not come across in my pics because I don't have a scanner, just an iPhone :) 

So, I am holding hopefully at an 8, but completely open to any of you telling me why it's really more of a 5/ very good.

Thanks again!

20 minutes ago, Ak49 said:

Well that's been 3 replies (thank you all by the way!) so I will now fess up.. In my limited grading experience I definitely went higher and put it at Very Fine (old scale), or an 8 (number scale). I have no doubt all of your experience is much greater than mine, so I'm guessing I'm off.

I used two tutorials for my grading analysis: Heritage Auctions site, and MyComicShop. The Heritage site actually led me to believe that the color rub that Not A Clone mentions could still allow it to fall at an 8. Also, when I compare my book to others I found on eBay, and looked at their photos and their grades, I could immediately see that the sheen and color of mine was better than many, but this does not come across in my pics because I don't have a scanner, just an iPhone :) 

So, I am holding hopefully at an 8, but completely open to any of you telling me why it's really more of a 5/ very good.

Thanks again!

I would like to know too :) I'll stick with my 7.5

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm not sure why there is such a difference of opinion on this book, but based on what I can see, I'd give this at least a 7.0...

Thanks everyone.. And, Not A Clone, if I get it graded professionally I'll let you know the grade. I'm at the point of my learning curve that so far my slabbed books would have been better off left alone if I want to sell, by the time you factor in FedEx etc. Wish they had a convention closer I'd just show up and get 'em done in person :)

Yeah probably not worth slabbing for the $$$, but I kind of want you too just to see how it comes back. :bigsmile: 

Looks like at a 7.5 it's about a $40 book. Slab would eat all of that up. :S

Edited by Not A Clone