• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The rise of Instagram sellers
12 12

239 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Such as?

The biggest books I own might be from raffles. But I wouldn't admit that of course. hm

I find it wonderful to look at a collectors homepage on IG which contains dozens and dozens of images of their prized books. Many of them are not for sale.  Nevertheless, I’ve been able to make deals to purchase a number of them. Similarly, I’ve posted books on IG to show off - with no intent to sell - and I was approached with stupid money offers to sell. Would have never placed those books up for sale here.

9 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

No price tag bothers me more than anything else.  If you list a book for sale, don't say "accepting offers."  Just list a price you're comfortable with, and go from there.  You're selling the book, so you should be the one to list a price.  If you go to Home Depot to look for a lawnmower, the employee isn't going to tell you to give him your best offer on it.  There's a price tag, because they're selling it.  That's how that works in every other instance, so I don't know why comics would be different.

Now if I inquire about a book that you don't necessarily want to sell, it's completely acceptable to request an offer.

Agreed - if you're selling, it's up to you to put an opening "price" to start negotiations. It's Negotiating 101 that whoever offers the first price is at a slight "disadvantage" - if you're the seller, the buyer may have been willing to pay more for it. If you're the buyer, the seller may have been willing to sell it for less. So whoever puts up the first number is either setting a ceiling (if seller) or a floor (if buyer). 100% agree that if someone wants to sell, it's their responsibility to put a number out there and start with that disadvantage. And similarly, if book is not for sale and buyer wants it, 100% agree that it's up to the buyer to start with an offer and thus start at a disadvantage.

Any seller that only says "accepting offers" on a book they're offering for sale is trying to pull a fast one and turn the tables of negotiating power.

On 6/12/2018 at 9:36 AM, entalmighty1 said:

Interface notwithstanding, the information you can get from the people on these boards versus the endless stream of hashtags from Instagram isn't even comparable.  You have huge nationwide dealers talking about pricing models, the history of the hobby, what books are starting to pick up, what's cooling off, etc.  You have folks that have been in this hobby for 50+ years giving you first person reports of what the first SDCC was like, who the movers and shakers were, and griping about how much things cost now.  The relevant insight available here is unreal.

It's two different things, and both of them have their merits and I enjoy both for different reasons.  

I try not to get into the whole "what I collect is cool, what you collect sucks" mentality, but I can only take seeing mid-grade bronze/silver "HUGE KEYS" so many times before I fall asleep from boredom.  There are a few users on Instagram that I can't wait to see what they post next, because it's not always just comic books.  @Sardo Numspar comes to mind immediately, with his oddball collection of WWII propaganda/toys/games.  I absolutely love that stuff, but he doesn't post it on the boards, so I would never see it if I didn't use Instagram.  @streyouttacomics and @october also post some stunning books on IG that don't always make it to the boards.

That being said, you aren't getting a lot of meaningful information beyond visual stimulation.  So then you can come to these forums and read a 50 page thread about the history behind the Okajima pedigree, or a thread dedicated to one specific topic, artist, title, whatever.  The sales forum here is also 100 times more developed than Instagram.  

Like I said, two different things, both are useful and enjoyable for their own reasons.

Thanks my man! I’m glad you enjoy some of those items. I try to include a detailed background for most of them.

IG and the relatively small g/s/b age collector group has really matured over the past couple years.  at first it scared the mess out of me getting offers to buy or trade.   but the bad apples get weeded out and if you follow it for a few months you will know who is legit.  its a nice quick way to view some incredible books and take your mind off things for a few minutes here or there.  selling/trading is in all honesty much easier through instagram than it is the boards and waaay easier than ebay.  some of us in LA/OC area had a meet up last week and it only enhanced the sense of community.  i believe a lot of board members are on it now and i would encourage anyone to check it out if you havent yet. (thumbsu

Edited by rainmaker

On 6/14/2018 at 5:44 PM, rainmaker said:

IG and the relatively small g/s/b age collector group has really matured over the past couple years.  at first it scared the mess out of me getting offers to buy or trade.   but the bad apples get weeded out and if you follow it for a few months you will know who is legit.  its a nice quick way to view some incredible books and take your mind off things for a few minutes here or there.  selling/trading is in all honesty much easier through instagram than it is the boards and waaay easier than ebay.  some of us in LA/OC area had a meet up last week and it only enhanced the sense of community.  i believe a lot of board members are on it now and i would encourage anyone to check it out if you havent yet. (thumbsu

I disagree with this, if for nothing more than the image quality available.  I can't zoom in on Instagram pictures, and trying to grade raws when the seller refuses to even put a ballpark on it is a pretty big challenge.  I've bought a couple of books from people that have been disappointing.  Once a seller declined to mention that the cover was detached, which you'd think would be noteworthy.  Also, most people there demand F&F payment through Paypal, which doesn't usually give me warm and fuzzy feelings.

That being said, I've been satisfied with most of my transactions there, although the sample size is pretty small.  Just my two cents. :foryou: 

23 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

I disagree with this, if for nothing more than the image quality available.  I can't zoom in on Instagram pictures, and trying to grade raws when the seller refuses to even put a ballpark on it is a pretty big challenge.  I've bought a couple of books from people that have been disappointing.  Once a seller declined to mention that the cover was detached, which you'd think would be noteworthy.  Also, most people there demand F&F payment through Paypal, which doesn't usually give me warm and fuzzy feelings.

That being said, I've been satisfied with most of my transactions there, although the sample size is pretty small.  Just my two cents. :foryou: 

You can zoom in on pictures from most smart phones using the pinch out method. I remember when this was first introduced. Very handy.

Not disclosing a detached cover is pretty shady. I'm not sure why a lot of IG sellers get stuck on F&F for payment. I use to send a paypal invoices all the time. No big deal. 2 - 3% isn't that much.

32 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I don't need another online means of buying comics in my life, and if the experience is anything there like or it is on Facebook, I'm definitely not interested. But if it means shortboxed or october books....

I think Shortboxed might sell on there, but I just post collection books...for now.

4 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

You can zoom in on pictures from most smart phones using the pinch out method. I remember when this was first introduced. Very handy.

Not disclosing a detached cover is pretty shady. I'm not sure why a lot of IG sellers get stuck on F&F for payment. I use to send a paypal invoices all the time. No big deal. 2 - 3% isn't that much.

There is no way I would send someone I don't know FF payment. Too many shady folks out there. And buying raws on IG seems pretty risky anyway. No grade or description is just sloppy and will get none of my money. Even if I know you, and god forbid you got hit by a truck, I would have no recourse to get my money back if I sent payment FF. 

I’m on ig and raffle my books and other collector’s books and also sell directly to buyers.  GPA is used as a guide and I try to stay at 90 day average or latest sale plus 10% to 15%.  Some books like hulk 181 CGC 7.5 closed at $2700 in the raffle and 90 day avg is ~$2500 and latest sale at ~$2700.  So it is hardly a 200% markup, but I have seen those type of raffles.  I understand why some don’t like raffles, but for others it is an opportunity to get a big book for a fraction of the cost.  I raffled a fantastic four 1 4.5 last year for $5k, which was GPA 90 day average at the time.  Ooops?!  But I know the collector that won and he is ecstatic he was able to get a key for a fraction of the cost.  I’m happy for him and we still talk about his win and when he is ready to sell the book back to me.  Lol.  

Other good thing with IG is selling books without the auction house/ebay fees.  There are reputable people on there that trade or do cash/trade deals where both parties are happy.  I sold a turtles 1 9.0 this year to a ig member.  I got on IG to try and move books without paying crazy ebay fees and avoiding scams or fake buyers.   

15 hours ago, Chickenwings said:

I’m on ig and raffle my books and other collector’s books and also sell directly to buyers.  GPA is used as a guide and I try to stay at 90 day average or latest sale plus 10% to 15%.  Some books like hulk 181 CGC 7.5 closed at $2700 in the raffle and 90 day avg is ~$2500 and latest sale at ~$2700.  So it is hardly a 200% markup, but I have seen those type of raffles.  I understand why some don’t like raffles, but for others it is an opportunity to get a big book for a fraction of the cost.  I raffled a fantastic four 1 4.5 last year for $5k, which was GPA 90 day average at the time.  Ooops?!  But I know the collector that won and he is ecstatic he was able to get a key for a fraction of the cost.  I’m happy for him and we still talk about his win and when he is ready to sell the book back to me.  Lol.  

Other good thing with IG is selling books without the auction house/ebay fees.  There are reputable people on there that trade or do cash/trade deals where both parties are happy.  I sold a turtles 1 9.0 this year to a ig member.  I got on IG to try and move books without paying crazy ebay fees and avoiding scams or fake buyers.   

If only there was another place to do the same thing. :baiting: 

On 6/19/2018 at 4:30 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

I don't need another online means of buying comics in my life, and if the experience is anything there like or it is on Facebook, I'm definitely not interested. But if it means shortboxed or october books....

I've only bought a small handful of books from people, mostly just to test the waters.  Some I've been happy, others not.  I will say that I constantly get messages from people wanting something I've posted, whether it's for sale or not.  Seems like a lot more solicitation than you get from the boards, at least in my experience so far.

6 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:
16 hours ago, Chickenwings said:

If only there was another place to do the same thing. :baiting:

If you're talking about here, the big difference is that in Chickenwings post he mentions GPA 90 or last sale as a general rule for pricing.   That's a tougher sale here, generally speaking.  

4 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

If you're talking about here, the big difference is that in Chickenwings post he mentions GPA 90 or last sale as a general rule for pricing.   That's a tougher sale here, generally speaking.  

I guess I thought the GPA reference was for the raffles, but he could have meant sales in general too. (shrug) 

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

I've only bought a small handful of books from people, mostly just to test the waters.  Some I've been happy, others not.  I will say that I constantly get messages from people wanting something I've posted, whether it's for sale or not.  Seems like a lot more solicitation than you get from the boards, at least in my experience so far.

I have noticed the same thing....but I post scans of books WAY more on there than I do here. 

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

I guess I thought the GPA reference was for the raffles, but he could have meant sales in general too. (shrug) 

You may be right.  I took it to mean all, but it does seem to be in reference to raffles.  

I haven't sold anything on IG, but I've sold plenty on the boards over the years.  I usually try to price around GPA, leaning more towards the "under".