• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The rise of Instagram sellers
12 12

239 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Every once in a while, I catch myself getting jealous of books that others post.  I just remind myself of the collection that I have and think that there are a lot of people out there that would love to have just one of the books that I own (that is definitely not meant to sound braggy).  When that happens it's a good reminder for me to be thankful for what I do have.  Just food for thought I suppose.  

You've got nothing to be jealous of Doc.  Plenty of people out there for different collecting styles/budgets/interests.  I see people posting stuff all the time that just blows my little stack away.  The initial reactions is jealousy, disdain, saltiness, whatever you want to call it, but I've gotten fairly friendly with a few of the younger guys on IG, and find them to be just as passionate about collecting as any of us here.

22 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Other than these boards, I'm not really a "social media" person. I am not on Facebook or Twitter. I have no need to brag to others. I like my life just fine the way it is. I signed up for Instagram on a whim because a couple of my junk picker friends are on it. I haven't gottom much further than just scrolling down endless photos and videos. I will have to figure it out a bit to access the comic book angle.

I hear all the time how Golden Age books are out of many people's focus because of the price. Sure, if you are looking for the big superhero books and keys. But the beauty of GA is the diversity. There are so many other very cool titles and genres to explore if you are open to it. And if you can live with lower grade books, many can be quite affordable to most. It is the most interesting and challenging era in the hobby and very affordable if you have an open mind. 

I agree with you about Golden Age :) but the problem could be "awareness", which I fear for SA then BA and so on. I could hang out in the GA forum here, but I feel that I wouldn't be able to gain the specific knowledge of lesser known or other criteria of less expensive GA books... it's a bit intimidating (thumbsu 

I've used IG to buy and sell. Not as much as eBay though. My thoughts:

- Most of the books I want on IG can be found cheaper with better photos on eBay

- Moderns sell very well

- Selling multiples of cheap books is a major pain in the butt. Example: I post a pic of a pile of comics and say "Hey, I just bought a whole run of ASM 500-600." Then there will be a long back and forth of want lists, prices, and a long PayPal invoice with each comic entered manually. At the end of the transaction I almost yearn for eBay's 10% fee just to use their invoicing system.

- I have met some of my best customers through IG. International customers are there looking to buy and want to meet people who will sell to them. 

- Austin Reece is on the ball for @reecesrarecomics and has followed up to DMs long after business hours are over

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Hang out there and you will gain a ton of knowledge. There are threads about all the GA publishers. There are genre related threads like crime, horror, romance, teen humor, western, funny animals and many more. There are VERY high end guys there as well as many folks that swim in the shallow end. Nothing wrong with it either way. Nobody judges. Get over the big key, high grade superhero stuff if it is out of your wheel house. Collect within your means and I guarantee you will meet other liked minded collectors there. Don't be intimidated and leave your ego at the door. You will have fun and get a lot of good info there if you are willing to put yourself out there. 

Thanks! I appreciate the encouragement, I've just put in a bit of work to get some of the other genre's and "ages" down to where I feel comfortable. When I'm ready to put in a little work and effort, I'll be sure to check it out! It does sound enjoyable :cloud9:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Every once in a while, I catch myself getting jealous of books that others post.  I just remind myself of the collection that I have and think that there are a lot of people out there that would love to have just one of the books that I own (that is definitely not meant to sound braggy).  When that happens it's a good reminder for me to be thankful for what I do have.  Just food for thought I suppose.  

Don't get jealous. There is always some one with more money and better books no matter who you are. Although, I could care less about a lot of what you guys consider "grails", it is just a personal decision. You have some pretty killer books in your sig line that a lot of people are equally jealous of I suspect.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks! I appreciate the encouragement, I've just put in a bit of work to get some of the other genre's and "ages" down to where I feel comfort. When I'm ready to put in a little work and effort, I'll be sure to check it out! It does sound enjoyable :cloud9:

GA is the best section of these boards. No drama or hassles other than good natured funnin around. I have seen your "likes" over there. Jump in the pool and make comments, ask questions and participate more. Don't be shy!

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks! I appreciate the encouragement, I've just put in a bit of work to get some of the other genre's and "ages" down to where I feel comfortable. When I'm ready to put in a little work and effort, I'll be sure to check it out! It does sound enjoyable :cloud9:

So when are you going to get on Instagram? :baiting:

3 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I think we have plenty of sellers on IG. Actually plenty of sellers everywhere in the comic book world it seems.... :sorry:

Your probably right ha. I'll have to give it a shot sometime (thumbsusee what's all the hubbub bub. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
11 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I think we have plenty of sellers on IG. Actually plenty of sellers everywhere in the comic book world it seems.... :sorry:

Your probably right ha. I'll have to give it a shot sometime (thumbsusee what's all the hubbub bub. 

It would be nice to get pics of more collectors issues, the boards are great but thanks to photo-bucket the threads have been skimmed. I'm still a bit new but sometimes I'll check images of threads past :foryou: sometimes also images are easier to remember titles of, to enjoy.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Don't get jealous.

I definitely stop as soon as I realize I’m doing it.  I’m really thankful for the collection I have.  It’s not a big collection at all, but it contains the books that are special to me.

By the way, your sig line is righteous!

9 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Ugh - now you have me remember how much work those things were.  You had to constantly be pimpiing the number of spots left - filling in the list since people always wanted their lucky numbers.  And then there was a ton of stress when running the raffle because if you messed up and didn't follow the procedure the raffle was thrown out and redone.  The winner of course was not happy since they just won a $500 book for $20 and they have a very small chance of rewinning it.  My stress levels are much lower now.

Plus it's illegal (tsk)

My primary channel for interacting with the comic community is on Instagram. But I head to boards to get real deep into the GA weeds and have more in-depth discussions :) 

Instagram is a great platform because it's visual, so scrolling through your feed and seeing everyone's collections is a fun experience, and of course interacting with the community is great. Just like any platform (the boards included) there are very trustworthy sellers and there are shady sellers who get called out quickly. It's relatively new for the comic community, but some of us have been on Instagram for 4+ years and have developed a good reputation, and there are constantly new collectors joining Instagram. 

At the very least, you can just follow a bunch of collectors and hashtags and see endless pics of comics :x

I’ve posted books on Instagram and Facebook but primarily as promotional photos for what I will have for sale at an upcoming show. I like to sell in person. I like interacting with folks more than I like just “selling” a book. I constantly get pms from folks wanting to buy but that’s just not my thing. I don’t sell on eBay , I don’t sell on my website, heck, I rarely sell here on the boards (been 4-5 years since I’ve had a meaningful sales thread). I’ve just found the person to person sale to be my preferred way. 

But I suspect that sooner or later I will go back to over the internet selling. And IG seems to be a great potential platform 

On 6/4/2018 at 4:01 PM, entalmighty1 said:

It's not as "Wild West" as you think it is really.  Most of the people I've gotten to know through IG have been extremely friendly, passionate collectors just like most everybody here. 

Just stay away from those ridiculous raffles.  That's the one thing I can't wrap my head around.  These guys are raffling off books, charging for spots in the raffle.  The only problem is, they're collecting 150-200% FMV for each book they raffle, sometimes more.  Sure, some collector is getting a decent deal, but the person running the raffle is making out like a bandit.  I have no idea why anyone indulges that practice.

It's the same insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who participate in sportscard breaks.  There are gamblers who can't help themselves.  A fool with their money