• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Investment?

15 posts in this topic

Can someone please provide me their opinion on whT to best invest money?  The commission of a sketch comic by a well known artist or have a rare 70's or 60's comicbook signed by the artist/ creator?  Both would be CGC.  :)

Not sure anyone said this yet, but welcome aboard!

This should be a fun hobby, not a formal investment product that you are planning on contributing to your retirement portfolio. If you got money that you could throw away, then a 60's/70's key with a well placed and applicable signature is likely the closest to an investment you can make in this hobby. I'm personally not a signature guy and wouldn't pay a premium for it. Original Art is also an option depending on the format of the media you prefer.

As always- just collect what you like!

-bc

1 hour ago, bc said:

As always- just collect what you like!

Words to live by.  I hate the term 'Investment' on comics, collectibles etc.  it's very 1990's.   

(Blue Chip books like Action #1, Tec #27, AF #15 or some of those older keys are a different story).

2 hours ago, Brooklynmet said:

Can someone please provide me their opinion on whT to best invest money?  The commission of a sketch comic by a well known artist or have a rare 70's or 60's comicbook signed by the artist/ creator?  Both would be CGC.  :)

I would keep it simple and buy a high grade key comic already in a CGC slab. It is much easier to price and track the value. 

Thank you all for your advice.  I recently had Neal Adams do a sketch at the Orlando Megacon of Superman on a blank Action Comics 1000.  I was offered $100 over what I payed.  I had it witnessed and brought it to CGC.  Just was looking for a direction to go to. Original art or key comics.  Thanks

1 minute ago, Brooklynmet said:

Thank you all for your advice.  I recently had Neal Adams do a sketch at the Orlando Megacon of Superman on a blank Action Comics 1000.  I was offered $100 over what I payed.  I had it witnessed and brought it to CGC.  Just was looking for a direction to go to. Original art or key comics.  Thanks

Do both !!

On 6/4/2018 at 9:55 PM, Brooklynmet said:

Oh, yeah, that cover was very nice! After all, he is Neal Adams, Mothereffer! If you are the same guy I met in line, then you get the joke. 

Grab what you like! If there's something you like, then its a good chance someone else likes it too. There's a reason why ugly covers have low demand!

I’ve collected both comics and original art for a very long time. Ever since becoming aware of Overstreet in the 1970’s I have made my purchases with an eye towards investment and taking advantage of opportunity. . My best advice is to not use money you may need to live.  Also,  buy what you know and like. If you follow this advice for the next 30 years I guarantee you will make up for any losses with volume. 

Find out waaaaay in advance when a movie/tv show is coming out featuring an obscure character. Buy a 9.6 or higher first appearance slab of said character, sell within a week of show/movie debut, profit.

Find an industry in the Midwest or South, or South East that isn't doing too well.  Find or write articles (with or without proper fact checking or good faith) that show how it is the fault of US allies or federal regulations that those industries aren't doing well.  Keep tweeting those articles at Fox News, Breitbart or members of the federal government and/or administration.  When certain heads of state inevitably make comments on those industries, wait until US stocks for those industries go up, AND THEN SHORT THEM for 2-3 months later for when the price settles down.

** You might be thinking, "Is this political?"  Well honestly its just business.  There's a LOT of people who have made a LOT of money  betting on/against this stuff in the last couple years (some of those people might be here on the boards).  You can do your own deep dive on google to see how.

Edited by revat

On 6/5/2018 at 10:13 PM, Robert_L said:

Oh, yeah, that cover was very nice! After all, he is Neal Adams, Mothereffer! If you are the same guy I met in line, then you get the joke. 

Grab what you like! If there's something you like, then its a good chance someone else likes it too. There's a reason why ugly covers have low demand!

I am that guy.  Lol