• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUICIDE SQUAD: THE JOKER starring Jared Leto (TBD)
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Warner Bros. is looking to expand on Jared Leto’s version of the Joker, which debuted in 2016’s “Suicide Squad,” with a movie of his own. Sources tell Variety that Leto is set to star and exec produce an untitled standalone film, paving the way for future movies branching from “Suicide Squad.”

Plot details are currently unknown, but the studio’s idea is to expand on the world created by “Suicide Squad” and tie into future installments of that property. Warner Bros. already announced that Margot Robbie’s version of Harley Quinn would be getting her own movie with a “Birds of Prey” feature, and the next goal was setting up a film for Leto’s Joker.

When Warner Bros. announced last fall that it was developing a Joker origin tale from Todd Phillips, the studio emphasized that this did not mean the end for Leto’s Joker. Rather, Phillips’ film would fall under a new origins banner that would be separate from the current cinematic DC universe. This new banner would allow multiple actors and versions based on the same character with no overlap, and WB has already tapped Joaquin Phoenix to star in Phillips’ Joker pic.

Leto’s Joker, as fans noted, was almost a glorified cameo in “Suicide Squad.” The Oscar-winner had made it clear following the film’s release that he hoped to expand on the character in future films in a more substantive, if not starring, role.

Edited by Bosco685

I'm in for anything with the Joker. I wasn't crazy about Suicide Squad, but I thought Leto did okay with what he had to work with. It's just a shame that Heath is gone, and that Jack is too old.

48 minutes ago, paperheart said:

couldn't possibly be worse than Suicide Squad, could it?

This.

And so now we've got two different Joker stand-alone films coming out?

Is DC just annoucing 2-3 projects at a time and then opting to pick whichever one fans seem to like more?

I mean -- done right, they both could work. But I'm more excited for a Joaquin Phoenix take than a redux of Jared Leto -- Granted - he was one of the better parts of the turd that was Suicide Squad, but his voice seemed off for the character.

Did not like Suicide Squad but Leto is a monumental actor.  His Joker was outstanding even though I didn’t care for the lame tattooed look.  Heath has been the benchmark though and I’ve been waiting for a comic book film to exceed The Dark Knight for a long time and still remain disappointed.

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

It's the first solo Joker movie...almost impossible to mess up.

Aren't we still expecting the Joaquin Phoenix solo Joker movie first?

You know - the one directed by Todd Phillips and produced by Scorsese?

13 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

wait, i thought the Harley/Joker love story by Ficarra & Requa was up first

21 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

6 minutes ago, paperheart said:

wait, i thought the Harley/Joker love story by Ficarra & Requa was up first

I take back everything I said in my previous post.  This entire Joker thing is going to be a cluster :censored:.

If people on this forum are confused then the general public has no chancelol.

***I still like Leto's Joker(thumbsu

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
"are" instead of "is"

11 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

.almost impossible to mess up.

That's like saying "it'll never go down in value".

It can absolutely fail.

On 6/7/2018 at 7:43 AM, bane said:

Yawn.

Didn't like Leto as Joker even in the extended edition of that turd of a movie. Will give this a massive miss.

The extended edition was worse than the theatrical, unlike the directors cut of Batman vs. Superman, which I thought was a big improvement. Suicide Squad suffered from a really bad villain and the tedium leading up to the wretched final confrontation. But I did like the Batman cameo and some of the characters.

DC Fans: "PLEASE fix the DCEU - make it brighter, give us more Wonder Woman and a hopeful Superman again..."
DC:  "Here's our darkest, most twisted character - twice. By two different actors...shhhhhhhhhh...just like it"

:facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Thawk said:

DC Fans: "PLEASE fix the DCEU - make it brighter, give us more Wonder Woman and a hopeful Superman again..."
DC:  "Here's our darkest, most twisted character - twice. By two different actors...shhhhhhhhhh...just like pay to watch it"

:facepalm:

4 hours ago, Grails said:

Leto’s talents were wasted in Suicide Squad due to bad writing/--script. Wish Scorsese or Nolan were directing him. 

probably true, but his "take" on the character just didn't push my buttons.  i found a youtube clip of "all joker scenes in ss" and watched it this morning. simply found it hard to watch, sure don't want to see 2 hours of it [but I'll go if critically well-received].  it's got to be a real dog for me not see a comic flick at the theater--supe 4, catwoman, elektra, punisher war zone, ghost rider 2, and the f.f. reboot are the only big-studio ones I can think of.  i'd like to have had my money back on some others, for sure.