• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about prescreen service

11 posts in this topic

First time I’ve ever used the prescreening service for a submission.  Glad I did because based on the number of rejects I am clueless about grading.

At any rate, I set the prescreen level to 9.8.  According to the invoice I received today, one of the books graded 9.6 (no graders notes) and was slabbed.  Is this a common occurrence...to have a comic book that falls below the selected prescreen level still get slabbed and charged the full price?  If it is a common occurrence, that would seem to defeat the purpose of prescreening.  Could it be a label error?

I'm not sure, but here's what may have happened. The prescreen is done by a prescreen grader. From your submissions, he picks what he thinks qualifies. Later, the subsequent graders may find something and not assign the prescreen grade to a specific book. In this situation, since the grading was performed, you are charged. 

I sort of figured that could be what happened.  Reading through CGC’s prescreen information on their website, it doesn’t mention that this could happen.  Maybe I missed it, but it would seem there should be a disclaimer or something.  Was just curious about whether this is a common occurrence.

On 6/6/2018 at 5:03 AM, walclark said:

I sort of figured that could be what happened.  Reading through CGC’s prescreen information on their website, it doesn’t mention that this could happen.  Maybe I missed it, but it would seem there should be a disclaimer or something.  Was just curious about whether this is a common occurrence.

I really don't know if it happens that often but I have heard of it. I have heard of whole submissions bypassing the prescreen because the notation was missed. They used to tell you to be sure and write it on every page of the submission form. I used to write it on the top and bottom of every page. You can call but since they did the work, the book is encapsulated, and your CC has already been charged I'm not sure what they would do. (shrug)  

29 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I really don't know if it happens that often but I have heard of it. I have heard of whole submissions bypassing the prescreen because the notation was missed. They used to tell you to be sure and write it on every page of the submission form. I used to write it on the top and bottom of every page. You can call but since they did the work, the book is encapsulated, and your CC has already been charged I'm not sure what they would do. (shrug)  

They said the book shouldn’t have been graded and encapsulated and refunded the grading fee, then added the $5 rejection fee.  It was easier than pulling the shipment (hadn’t been picked up by FedEx yet), removing one book, and repacking.  I use the online submission form, so there’s only one page, and it does list prescreen.

Mistakes happen.  Was just curious about the frequency with which this particular mistake happens.  Apparently, based on the lack of responses, it doesn’t happen often.

Have 27 for prescreening myself...actually trying out quick press for the first time as well. They are back from ccs, Have an invoice date of May 1st and went verified on 5 Jun. Mind if I ask your invoice date? 

1 hour ago, gregwynn said:

Have 27 for prescreening myself...actually trying out quick press for the first time as well. They are back from ccs, Have an invoice date of May 1st and went verified on 5 Jun. Mind if I ask your invoice date? 

Invoice date of April 24 and shipped yesterday.

It's never happened to me (pre-screened probably 300 books) but I can imagine it's a fairly common mistake considering all the other mistakes we occasionally see getting thru QA/QC.  But in the grand scheme of things I'd say it's rare.

A somewhat related question...when does CCS/CGC charge your credit card on a CCS press + CGC modern submission w/prescreen?

I've submitted moderns with prescreen directly to CGC before, and my credit card was charged a a couple weeks before the books were graded, as opposed to almost immediately upon verification without prescreen. I'm hoping that the pressing and grading fees are also charged much later with the prescreen option.