• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBay coupon until 7pm pt tonight CODE: PICKDADSGIFT
2 2

105 posts in this topic

Guys.... what do I buy? Help!

Want an ASM 50, but not sure I want what's available... and the rest of my current list are large purchases I'm not going to make now. I NEED TO SPEND MONEY! Quick, ~$600 budget and I am a big SA Thor/ASM/Avengers fan. Need ideas!

Edited by SilverSniper

7 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

Want an ASM 50, but not sure I want what's available... and the rest of my current list are large purchases I'm not going to make now. I NEED TO SPEND MONEY! Quick, ~$600 budget and I am a big SA Thor/ASM/Avengers fan. Need ideas!

Avengers 8, JIM 114, Thor 165, plus countless ASM options...

8 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

step 1: cut a hole in a box

step 2: don't spend more than $500, the max discount is $100

step 3:  get white pages

step 4:  get the best 9.8 you can of main character vs main character cover or 1st appearance.

12 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

I'm liking this one but there is some risks.  It's a white pager at a bit less then 90 day GPA with free ship and the front looks good.  Bit of a miscut and the back may be a bit fugly but if front is key for you it looks good:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spider-Man-50-1st-appearance-of-Kingpin-Wilson-Fisk-CGC-6-0/222986970659?epid=85445700&hash=item33eb0f2623:g:NmEAAOSwjh5bAvv5

ASM 50.jpg

Also there is a 9.6 Giant Size Spider-man 4 which is the 3rd appearance of the Punisher, there are some 9's options of ASM 135 the 2nd appearance of punisher....

check census if you need to, to find out how many there are in grade....

just options

15 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

I'm liking this one but there is some risks.  It's a white pager at a bit less then 90 day GPA with free ship and the front looks good.  Bit of a miscut and the back may be a bit fugly but if front is key for you it looks good:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spider-Man-50-1st-appearance-of-Kingpin-Wilson-Fisk-CGC-6-0/222986970659?epid=85445700&hash=item33eb0f2623:g:NmEAAOSwjh5bAvv5

ASM 50.jpg

Ha I have a message out to that guy for better pics. It is tempting, especially with those white pages, but I'm afraid of buying based on one out of focus pic. Plus the cover looks better  than a 6.0, which has me worried about what the back/inside looks like...

I was mostly joking, but appreciate the suggestions. Hard to help someone if you don't know what they already have... but I am having a hard time. I just grabbed an 8.5 W JIM 86 and thought I was done for a bit.. but the coupon is pulling me back in.

Saw this deal earlier this morning in my email.  Promptly added a 5-Shelf Steel shelving rack and a lot of 10 CGC Storage boxes to my cart.  Now I have a place to store my growing collection of graded books! :applause:

Couple of pro-tips for those wanting to take advantage of the coupon.

1)  As others have pointed out, this is a one-time use coupon.  Make sure to add everything to your cart first before using the coupon and checking out.

2)  Shipping costs are not included in the 20% off.  You'll have to play with the numbers, but make sure you choose options where there is free shipping to maximize your discount.

For instance, if you have a seller offering an $80 item with $20 shipping, but you find another seller with the same item for $101 + Free shipping, go with the 2nd seller.  The original price is $100 (Seller A) vs $101 (Seller B), but the discounted price is $84 (Seller A) vs $80.80 (Seller B).

29 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

2)  Shipping costs are not included in the 20% off.  You'll have to play with the numbers, but make sure you choose options where there is free shipping to maximize your discount.

For instance, if you have a seller offering an $80 item with $20 shipping, but you find another seller with the same item for $101 + Free shipping, go with the 2nd seller.  The original price is $100 (Seller A) vs $101 (Seller B), but the discounted price is $84 (Seller A) vs $80.80 (Seller B).

Or if you wanted to be really slick, message Seller A in this case and try to convince him to increase his price by $20 and offer you free shipping.

Again, just make sure to play with the numbers to maximize your discount.

And yes, I know I just quoted myself here...

Not an overly deep question but is E-bay just eating all of these $100?  They get 9-10% of each sale but it's still a big chunk of lost income and they seem to be doing it pretty regularly (every 3 - 4 months or so).  Does it reek of desperation?

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

Not an overly deep question but is E-bay just eating all of these $100?  They get 9-10% of each sale but it's still a big chunk of lost income and they seem to be doing it pretty regularly (every 3 - 4 months or so).  Does it reek of desperation?

They are doing big "ebay bucks" days as well.

Just had an 8% day last week. 

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I was wondering the same thing as well. They seem to do nothing to help the situation either. I am not sure how many of you guys sell on there, but they just changed the Top Rate Seller requirements to offer free 30 day returns.

Edited by maraxusofkeld

4 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I thought about that too. In my mind, they must get kickbacks from advertisers.... for as many give away coupons as they have supporting different stuff.

idk, I don't want to be "blind", but surely it makes fiscal sense to them somehow, 20% off and the resulting ebay bucks next month... etc it is kinda O.o 

Spoiler

SHHH don't complain lol 

9 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

For sales like this one (store wide), ebay eats the cost, whatever that nets in the end (obviously it's not actually the full 20%.) It's a marketing campaign and there is value in getting more people to use the site, even if it eats into the marketing budget a bit. When you see coupons that are limited to specific sellers, the seller eats the cost.  Reference: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying-Selling-Basics/Who-pays-for-ebay-s-20-Off-Sale/qaq-p/28219569

Edited by SilverSniper

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

eBay makes about 10% off of each transaction for both the sale of the item PLUS the shipping costs.  On top of that, I know that they do make money off of each shipping label that gets printed from their system (how much exactly has never been disclosed).  That is important to note, as that pushes their margin percentages (potentially) significantly higher than 10%.

In the case of 20% off coupons, they're likely eating some of these savings.  However, it's likely much less than you're expecting.

It does appear to be giving sales a jump start but after looking at the books (Silver, bronze and copper) over the last few hours it looks to be the usual key books flying off the shelves.  I'm sure it does help some of the 10% over GPA books to sell but if they keep doing this there will definetely be a surge in GPA prices since people are willing to pay 10% over GPA during these sales.