• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBay coupon until 7pm pt tonight CODE: PICKDADSGIFT
2 2

105 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, SilverSniper said:

Guys.... what do I buy? Help!

Want an ASM 50, but not sure I want what's available... and the rest of my current list are large purchases I'm not going to make now. I NEED TO SPEND MONEY! Quick, ~$600 budget and I am a big SA Thor/ASM/Avengers fan. Need ideas!

2 hours ago, SilverSniper said:

Guys.... what do I buy? Help!

Want an ASM 50, but not sure I want what's available... and the rest of my current list are large purchases I'm not going to make now. I NEED TO SPEND MONEY! Quick, ~$600 budget and I am a big SA Thor/ASM/Avengers fan. Need ideas!

The is a really nice CGC 6.5 JIM 89 for $429.00 .  I wold be all over that if I wasn't going on vacation so soon.

9 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

This also moves stagnant inventory.

Precisely. eBay isn't collecting any Final Value Fees off of stuff that's just sitting around unsold. If a 20% sale gets a bunch of stuff to move that wasn't going to sell otherwise, eBay is sitting pretty.

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I'm liking this one but there is some risks.  It's a white pager at a bit less then 90 day GPA with free ship and the front looks good.  Bit of a miscut and the back may be a bit fugly but if front is key for you it looks good:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spider-Man-50-1st-appearance-of-Kingpin-Wilson-Fisk-CGC-6-0/222986970659?epid=85445700&hash=item33eb0f2623:g:NmEAAOSwjh5bAvv5

And it's mine! Happy father's day to me.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Precisely. eBay isn't collecting any Final Value Fees off of stuff that's just sitting around unsold. If a 20% sale gets a bunch of stuff to move that wasn't going to sell otherwise, eBay is sitting pretty.

Not sure how that math works.  Give a 20% discount and collect a 10% final value fee, plus PayPal's cut if you want to count that.  Seems like eBay is losing money on every sale.  I'm sure they think this will get some buyers back to using eBay, but I sure don't see it.

8 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:

And it's mine! Happy father's day to me.

WTS ASM 50 6.0 W $600

1 hour ago, Von Cichlid said:

The is a really nice CGC 6.5 JIM 89 for $429.00 .  I wold be all over that if I wasn't going on vacation so soon.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I have that one already, though only a 4.5 (a very nice looking 4.5 though.)

well, made an offer with caveat that it expires at 7 pm pst. now the waiting.

I also messaged a buyer who was a little lower than I liked and told him maybe we can do it now that ebay will subsidize 20% of the purchase price. Hopefully that happens but not holding my breath. 

23 minutes ago, somewhereintexas said:

Not sure how that math works.  Give a 20% discount and collect a 10% final value fee, plus PayPal's cut if you want to count that.  Seems like eBay is losing money on every sale.  I'm sure they think this will get some buyers back to using eBay, but I sure don't see it.

I mean, you could be right, but this isn't the first time they've done this, and I'm sure they spend a lot of money on marketing and post-analysis.  I assume they have information we don't which shows it's a net positive.

Edited by SilverSniper

3 minutes ago, SilverSniper said:
26 minutes ago, somewhereintexas said:

I mean, you could be right, but this isn't the first time they've done this, and I'm sure they spend a lot of money on marketing and post-analysis.  I assume they have information we don't which shows it's a net positive.

they make it all back on the best offers accepted AFTER the end of the sale.

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

Ugh. Wading through acres of overpriced listings is a chore.

It is, though I've had great luck throwing offers out. I don't know why people consistently list them at ~10% above THE HIGHEST PRICE A BOOK EVER SOLD FOR. Looking through sold listings they almost never sell for that much anyway and you're not moving inventory while you hope for a sucker to cross your path. For example, I did not pay $550 for my ASM 50 today, though it took ~5 emails to get a good (great with 20% off) price.

35 minutes ago, somewhereintexas said:

It's a loss leader. They're hoping people see other stuff they just HAVE to have.

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
38 minutes ago, somewhereintexas said:

It's a loss leader. They're hoping people see other stuff they just HAVE to have.

don't forget that they almost certainly sell your data.  so any traffic, even you searching has value.

7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Exactly. And it encourages listings as well. In trying to figure out how they justify this I assumed some must come from a promotional budget. But they have been running coupons for a while and you have to think they crunch the numbers and have found this an acceptable loss in the overall scheme of things.

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Me: Watermelons are so cheap in Georgia.  Knowing that, there has to be a way we can get rich.  Let's drive up there, buy them at $1 each and fill up the pick-up truck.  Then drive back to Florida and sell them two for $2!  We will be rich in no time!

Friend: Wait a minute!  It will take forever for us to make any money that way!

Me:  As usual, you are right...  We need to get a bigger truck!