• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old links fixed!

27 posts in this topic

• Administrator

:news:

The boards host implemented a fix for old broken links on the Chat Boards. While most types of old links were already redirecting to the equivalent URL on the new boards correctly, links to SPECIFIC POSTS on the old boards were not redirecting reliably until this fix was made.

For example: if you click links in this old post, you'll wind up on the correct page of the new boards even though the links point to old URLs: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/89717-updated-probation-list-only-no-discussions/?do=findComment&comment=7306829

If you notice issues related to old links, please let us know by replying to this thread! That could be anything from links bringing you to the wrong place, redirects being slow, or any errors you might see (thumbsu

---

A couple quick notes:

• There ARE situations where old links will not redirect to the content you expect, such as deleted posts or threads. Not much we can do about that.
  • You may encounter links that bring you to the NGC Chat Boards or PMG Chat Boards, if that's where the relevant content now resides.
  • We noticed emoticons are not displaying correctly in many old posts. We're working with the boards host to see if this can be resolved, so stay tuned.

Scott

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

I get random 502 errors when clicking on some old links. I'll try to provide some examples

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Examples would be great!

Once you encounter a link that errors, it would be interesting to know whether it errors consistently or inconsistently for you. For example, if you click the link again after seeing the error, does it error again?

I'm guessing you'll find that it's inconsistent. I think those errors are more a symptom of general boards performance than something being "wrong" with redirects.

Changes have been made recently to boost performance (particularly for logged in users), but there is still room for improvement and we're actively exploring several options.

Scott

• Administrator
2 hours ago, thunsicker said:

I noticed quite a few when I did a google search for old threads that would redirect to the home page of the boards.  

Are you saying you used to see this? Or you still do now?

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Used to.  Haven't tried recently.  But almost every time I used google (with site:boards.collectors-society.com or site:www.cgccomics.com/boards) it would take me to the home page of the boards.

Cool. Let me know if you still have that same experience moving forward.

Our testing showed that links in search engines and on the boards are redirecting much better now, but I'm sure there will still be a few links here and there with issues (as described in OP).

Looks like Andy has the "old" board url (http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=50&PHPSESSID=) rather than the new one (https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/).  I'm assuming it was just cut and pasted from old contest.  Not sure why the photo which doesn't show up in a quote of the post shows up when you linked above.

7 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

I'm assuming it was just cut and pasted from old contest. 

Ahhhh, that makes sense.  I didn't bother to look at the URL in his post.

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

This is weird as it's a "new" link.

Check out the first link in the first post of this thread:

Like @thunsicker mentioned, it looks like the content of that post is copy/pasted from old iterations of that thread. If you look at the 5th annual thread, 4th annual thread, 3rd annual thread, etc you'll see that they point to the same old URL. That URL may have been valid when it was initially created, but its an atypical URL structure and the redirect engine doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

I've updated the link in the 6th annual thread to point directly to the correct place on the new boards, so this won't be an issue in future years :)

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Also, that GIF isn't present in the post.

It's not present in the OP, but it's present in a different post in that thread (halfway down on the 1st page)

When you post an embedded link to a THREAD / TOPIC, the preview seems to pull an image from within that thread (not necessarily the 1st post). I'm not sure of the exact logic it uses to determine which image to use.

If you post an embedded link to a specific post, the preview doesn't seem to include an image even if that post included one. Ex:

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

These were the errors I was getting for the last ten minutes:

error444444.thumb.jpg.79a01f3e067657c3ff0bdedbd7c80ef3.jpgerror555555.thumb.jpg.e6d67788a5312b60ae764bf52f515166.jpgerrrrror3333.thumb.jpg.3522d2eb3f45637736a450d2ba97a98d.jpg

Thanks! I saw the same errors, and entered a support ticket for the boards host. I don't think this is related to the redirects.

They say it's fixed now. Let me know if you see anything else.