• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 50 variants
2 2

199 posts in this topic

I know I started this mess, but in reality I wanted a collection of what was coming.  There are a few I want because I just like them, I have sold books, but I have never flipped books.  When I buy variants I buy knowing I will be stuck with them. 

I have not pulled the trigger on any of these, because the prices have gotten stupud.

45 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

It honestly just looks like he randomly cut and paste a bunch of solo drawings onto one big one. Not a fan of that one at all.

Yes, exactly. Sorry to say, but it's almost like he just dug out some file drawings rather than put effort into it. The characters aren't relating to their surroundings/each other in the least, just dropped into the scene randomly to preen, strut or flex. Seems more like he was designing some half-hearted DC Presto-Magix.

Edited by Martin Sinescu

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

Funny since that's partially what the side conversations have been about.  Wait a few months, the prices will ultimately come down.

The other thing is there is somewhat of a difference between an official variant and a store variant.  To me the official variant has the potential to have added value, as it is 100% a product of the publisher.  These store variants are a very different story most of the time.  Both DC and Marvel are happy to put whatever cover you want on a book as long as you are willing to buy X number of copies. The publisher does have the right to say yes or no as to what cover is used, but it is not truly their official product. Furthermore, there store covers are specifically created to be "collectibles" and that market is by nature artificial. 

The publisher copies are purchased by fans to be read and collected.  Store copies are only purchased for the cover, and "exclusiveness". 

Edited by drotto

10 minutes ago, drotto said:

The other thing is there is somewhat of a difference between an official variant and a store variant.  To me the official variant has the potential to have added value, as it is 100% a product of the publisher.  These store variants are a very different story most of the time.  Both DC and Marvel are happy to put whatever cover you want on a book as long as you are willing to buy X number of copies. The publisher does have the right to say yes or no as to what cover is used, but it is not truly their official product. Furthermore, there store covers are specifically created to be "collectibles" and that market is by nature artificial. 

The publisher copies are purchased by fans to be read and collected.  Store copies are only purchased for the cover, and "exclusiveness". 

Agreed, to me the book with the biggest potential is the 1:100 Jim Lee.  Judging by fan reactions, it is a very striking cover.  The rest of the covers are for personal collections only.  Any other illusions about store exclusives is pure speculation and subject to buyer beware as it could easily be half the value in 6 months time.

43 minutes ago, drotto said:

The situations that make comics valuable are when there is global appeal, when there aren't a lot of copies for sale, and when most existing copies are in unknown locations (distributed widely, decades ago, without being part of dealer overstock).

Store variants violate all those qualities. They don't have global appeal, because printing "That Store You Never Visited" logo on there is a reminder you have little or no personal connection. They aren't distributed widely... they're usually packed in one geographic area.  They are usually available in bulk from the store, and everyone knows exactly who to go to if they want a copy.

Over time, these things could change, but I think at least a couple of these peculiarities will always hurt store variants vs the widely distributed variants available to all retailers.

Edited by valiantman

So, as I said earlier, I don't buy most variants, but I do buy Batman. To be more accurate, I buy the variants that DC themselves put out (the "Cover B" variants) but I don't buy store variants and stuff like that. However, I do like being something of a Bat-completist. So, what are the chances that I'll be able to pick all of these stupid variants up for a few bucks in a year or two? Do they normally hold value, or increase? Gah, it's all so gross and dumb.

PS: @RockMyAmadeus I'd love to see that Rai 9 pick, it sounds sad/hilarious. Did a quick Google but didn't come up with anything.

31 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

So, as I said earlier, I don't buy most variants, but I do buy Batman. To be more accurate, I buy the variants that DC themselves put out (the "Cover B" variants) but I don't buy store variants and stuff like that. However, I do like being something of a Bat-completist. So, what are the chances that I'll be able to pick all of these stupid variants up for a few bucks in a year or two? Do they normally hold value, or increase? Gah, it's all so gross and dumb.

PS: @RockMyAmadeus I'd love to see that Rai 9 pick, it sounds sad/hilarious. Did a quick Google but didn't come up with anything.

D015B920-1FFC-474D-87F5-B76B2D920B9B.gif.de228c09904367c346668ea84b0d9904.gif,

F35C28B1-40C8-4919-AB6D-3C0B7CBA859F.gif.ba882bd9f61518611817d390a28c2da9.gif.

Edited by IntoAnother

38 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

http://www.nealadamsstore.com/

Neal Adams is selling some with different COA's ..... ??? 

anyway, :shy: 

Well, at least he offers up the opportunity to send it in to CGC for proper Signature Series grading.  (shrug)  It drives me nuts that someone as big and renowned as JSC doesn't do this.

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Well, at least he offers up the opportunity to send it in to CGC for proper Signature Series grading.  (shrug)  It drives me nuts that someone as big and renowned as JSC doesn't do this.

yeppers lol 

5 hours ago, IntoAnother said:

D015B920-1FFC-474D-87F5-B76B2D920B9B.gif.de228c09904367c346668ea84b0d9904.gif,

F35C28B1-40C8-4919-AB6D-3C0B7CBA859F.gif.ba882bd9f61518611817d390a28c2da9.gif.

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

image.png.2350d6ff2dd237cd6cec736877d644fe.png

Ok, good to know! I'll just wait a few years until no one cares any more and pick them up at that time. Relieved!

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

It's because JSC has been fed the lie by unscrupulous "facilitators" that anyone and everyone slabbing is doing it for "phat stacks of cash", and he thinks that's unfair to him.

He is as anti-slabbing as it is possible to be, and still be willing to tolerate it.

No one's bothered to explain it to him otherwise.

He told me...to my face, mind you...that I would have to wait to get my books signed, because he had to sign "for the fans."

Because you see, after all, everyone slabbing isn't a fan.

And it's the scummy "corporate facilitators" (whose names are all over the SS area) who, themselves, aren't fans, and lie to creators to gain access, telling them that everyone slabbing is doing it "for the money", and they can get them their "fair share" of that "money" if they become "exclusive" with them. It's nothing but deliberate misrepresentation, on purpose, to get THEMSELVES that "money."

And then they have the unmitigated gall to complain about people lying to creators about their intentions WITH THEIR OWN PROPERTY.

It's comedy that Shakespeare couldn't write.

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

http://www.nealadamsstore.com/

Neal Adams is selling some with different COA's ..... ??? 

anyway, :shy: 

Well now people can feel even better tossing money out the window for a book that already comes with a COA, because now for only $20 more they can get one with a shiny hologram on it to make it really official!

Side note: The last time I approached Neal with a friend for a signature my friend requested a signature in a certain spot. As Neal was taking his money he says to him “How about I sign in the intelligent spot.” and proceeds to sign a mere inch away from where my friend wanted him to sign. :facepalm:

Just now, IntoAnother said:

Well now people can feel even better tossing money out the window for a book that already comes with a COA, because now for only $20 more they can get one with a shiny hologram on it to make it really official!

Side note: The last time I approached Neal with a friend for a signature my friend requested a signature in a certain spot. As Neal was taking his money he says to him “How about I sign in the intelligent spot.” and proceeds to sign a mere inch away from where my friend wanted him to sign. :facepalm:

Neal Adams is smarter than us, you see.

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's because JSC has been fed the lie by unscrupulous "facilitators" that anyone and everyone slabbing is doing it for "phat stacks of cash", and he thinks that's unfair to him.

He is as anti-slabbing as it is possible to be, and still be willing to tolerate it.

No one's bothered to explain it to him otherwise.

He told me...to my face, mind you...that I would have to wait to get my books signed, because he had to sign "for the fans."

Because you see, after all, everyone slabbing isn't a fan.

And it's the scummy "corporate facilitators" (whose names are all over the SS area) who, themselves, aren't fans, and lie to creators to gain access, telling them that everyone slabbing is doing it "for the money", and they can get them their "fair share" of that "money" if they become "exclusive" with them. It's nothing but deliberate misrepresentation, on purpose, to get THEMSELVES that "money."

And then they have the unmitigated gall to complain about people lying to creators about their intentions WITH THEIR OWN PROPERTY.

It's comedy that Shakespeare couldn't write.

Hey bud, were you aware JSC charges an additional $30 per signed book that’s going to be graded?

I haven’t bought anything from him in quite a while but I was never aware that was the case, or is this something that is fairly new?