• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 50 variants
2 2

199 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

Thanks, I’ll look into it. I remember that one had a really large amount as well. 

I’m not sure if this article is accurate or not but it claims ASM #666 had 145 variants, 141 of them being shop variants. I don’t pay much attention to Spidey books so I don’t recall when it was released. I’ll mention the article hasn’t been updated since the end of January but I personally haven’t noticed any as much as Batman #50 this year.

https://www.zapkapowcomics.com/top-10-most-variant-covers 

Yea, that might be the most. The art wasn't unique for each one though. Just changed the words.

13 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

Yea, there were 68 at the beginning of December. Batman 50 may be the most.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/11/all-the-star-wars-1-variant-covers-we-can-find-in-one-place-45-so-far-42-pictured-including-stan-sakai/

50 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yea, that might be the most. The art wasn't unique for each one though. Just changed the words.

Yea, there were 68 at the beginning of December. Batman 50 may be the most.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/11/all-the-star-wars-1-variant-covers-we-can-find-in-one-place-45-so-far-42-pictured-including-stan-sakai/

I wasn’t aware they just swapped logos for it. No wonder it had so many, especially if it was of no additional cost or wasn’t very much extra to get one for the shops. 

2 hours ago, kimik said:

I wonder if DC will be offering a return for refund on this book now based on the reaction to the spoiler in the NY Times...........

Its gotta be hard for a company now to drop a surprise on readers anymore.
Retailers are the ones taking a bath on this one if they ordered heavy. I sincerely hope this book
has a resounding effect on the industry as a whole, but I doubt it.

2 hours ago, kimik said:

I wonder if DC will be offering a return for refund on this book now based on the reaction to the spoiler in the NY Times...........

I’m not too sure how to interpret #3 of DC’s response to the spoiler in this article, but it may be in regards to possibly accepting returns. I would hope they would anyway for retailers sake.

https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/dc/amp/2018/07/02/batman-50-spoilers-batrimony-DC-Comics-explains/

8 hours ago, IntoAnother said:

Thanks, I’ll look into it. I remember that one had a really large amount as well. 

I’m not sure if this article is accurate or not but it claims ASM #666 had 145 variants, 141 of them being shop variants. I don’t pay much attention to Spidey books so I don’t recall when it was released. I’ll mention the article hasn’t been updated since the end of January but I personally haven’t noticed any as much as Batman #50 this year.

https://www.zapkapowcomics.com/top-10-most-variant-covers 

I looked in the CLZ app, they show over 140 variants.  Many are the "Daily Bugle" variants, where Spidey is holding up a newspaper, and the only difference is the text/headlines on the paper...

4 hours ago, IntoAnother said:

I’m not too sure how to interpret #3 of DC’s response to the spoiler in this article, but it may be in regards to possibly accepting returns. I would hope they would anyway for retailers sake.

https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/dc/amp/2018/07/02/batman-50-spoilers-batrimony-DC-Comics-explains/

Exactly. The retailers with store exclusives are especially screwed - they had to order big on a book that fans wanted due to the wedding. Now that there is no wedding, how do they sell them? The same goes for the regular issues - even non-Batman collectors that buy from me were asking for it up to two weeks ago. They will not want it now. My guess is that DC leaked it to gauge how negative the fan response would be and now will offer refunds to retailers that have cancelled orders.

44 minutes ago, kimik said:
5 hours ago, IntoAnother said:

Exactly. The retailers with store exclusives are especially screwed - they had to order big on a book that fans wanted due to the wedding. Now that there is no wedding, how do they sell them? The same goes for the regular issues - even non-Batman collectors that buy from me were asking for it up to two weeks ago. They will not want it now. My guess is that DC leaked it to gauge how negative the fan response would be and now will offer refunds to retailers that have cancelled orders.

Looks like a big cluster doesn't it. How would the online retailers do it? I mean they pay upfront too. Now they are stuck with piles of variants no one wants from an event that didn't happen. 

Well, now, I am even happier than I was a minute earlier that I stayed true to not purchasing any variant covers for any comic book that is priced above cover price at release; and hopefully a discount is offered at release.

18 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Looks like a big cluster doesn't it. How would the online retailers do it? I mean they pay upfront too. Now they are stuck with piles of variants no one wants from an event that didn't happen. 

I'm sure a lot have pre-sold enough to cover their costs. DC has not said if they are going to allow returns yet. If a retailer has pre-sold most of their variants and they can return the rest for a refund, they may actually do well. It's just going to be a headache for the ones who have people trying to cancel their pre-orders.

Looks like at least one retailer is offering refunds already. Here is the note from Comic Market Street, who has those beautiful Natalie Sanders variants, to their customers today:

Batman #50 Release Info

With Batman #50 release for tomorrow we are aware of all the emotions related to the NYT's release of the storyline. Though we know that most of all the fans and new customers purchased the book mainly on the cover first and story second.

We know how our fans feel with the spoiler of the story but we take pride of our exclusives primarily on the beautiful art we get from the artists we work with. We have our policies stated where returns are not accepted but if you truly feel that you absolutely don't want this stunning piece of work then contact us and we'll see what we are able to do. 

Not only are we one of the best priced sets of books with stunning artwork, we even took it further and made a cover free. We stand behind our fans and customers and we will voice your concerns up to our reps...................................

Over 100 different covers for an event that didn't happen. :facepalm:

At least the X-Men actually provided a wedding. Albeit not the one  people thought. :tonofbricks:

God, it is the rule of 25 in full effect. :whatthe:

Don't buy any variants, even at cover price, right now. :rulez:

The CRASH IS COMING!!!!! *  :ohnoez:

* Courtesy JC :whistle: