• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 50 variants
2 2

199 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, joecgcmaniac said:

Over 100 different covers for an event that didn't happen. :facepalm:

That's the point that's sailing over the head of all the journos covering the rage around this reveal.. 

The fact the wedding was cancelled isn't the issue.. Rather The that DC allowed the hype train to build and continue to build with excess of 100 variants being made (and presold well over cover price) for a troll  ' haha, wedding on another 50 issues guys and gals'  ... 

I didn't jump on the train at all - weddings are not what I want to read on my comics and also most  aren't any good to resell.   But can fully appreciate the rage 

3 minutes ago, joecgcmaniac said:

Over 100 different covers for an event that didn't happen. :facepalm:

That's the point that's sailing over the head of all the journos covering the rage around this reveal.. 

The fact the wedding was cancelled isn't the issue.. Rather The that DC allowed the hype train to build and continue to build with excess of 100 variants being made (and presold well over cover price) for a troll  ' haha, wedding on another 50 issues guys and gals'  ... 

I didn't jump on the train at all - weddings are not what I want to read on my comics and also most  aren't any good to resell.   But can fully appreciate the rage 

Pretty disappointed in this issue and DC for hyping a non-event with 100 variants. Half of King's run is not worth the re-read for me now..

At least I only picked up the Lee variant.

I actually really enjoyed Batman 50 - I avoided most spoilers (couldn't help hear the news that NYT spoiled it, though didn't read the headline or article) just knew that people were pissed off and so likely they weren't getting married. The story itself was pretty good, I thought the form of the book (took me awhile to realize that each page was an excerpt from a letter that Batman / Catwoman were writing each other) really worked and allowed the huge line-up of artists to work in the book fairly seamlessly.

The rationale for calling the wedding off made sense in context of Tom King's run so far (eg. can / should Batman ever be happy, can he still remain "Batman" and fight crime if he is), and the last page reveal was a pretty big "WTF? WOW" moment for me, and I'm excited to see where Tom King takes this. Full disclosure, I'm a big fan of Tom King (loved his Vision, Omega Men and Sherriff of Babylon books, his Mister Miracle is probably my favorite title right now, and have loved his Batman run thus far), and so I'm trusting him to see where he takes this.

I 100% agree however with the backlash of how DC marketed this book, telling everyone outright that this will be the wedding of the century, making retailers market / push and likely up their orders to sell to not just normal Batman readers, but the casual public who may stop in to get the book because of its importance (a la Superman 75). I'm also annoyed at DC spoiling the book intentionally (especially given the spoiler has the opposite effect of saying "this book isn't as important as it was hyped up to be). DC really screwed the pooch on this one.

2 hours ago, CKinTO said:

I actually really enjoyed Batman 50 - I avoided most spoilers (couldn't help hear the news that NYT spoiled it, though didn't read the headline or article) just knew that people were pissed off and so likely they weren't getting married. The story itself was pretty good, I thought the form of the book (took me awhile to realize that each page was an excerpt from a letter that Batman / Catwoman were writing each other) really worked and allowed the huge line-up of artists to work in the book fairly seamlessly.

The rationale for calling the wedding off made sense in context of Tom King's run so far (eg. can / should Batman ever be happy, can he still remain "Batman" and fight crime if he is), and the last page reveal was a pretty big "WTF? WOW" moment for me, and I'm excited to see where Tom King takes this. Full disclosure, I'm a big fan of Tom King (loved his Vision, Omega Men and Sherriff of Babylon books, his Mister Miracle is probably my favorite title right now, and have loved his Batman run thus far), and so I'm trusting him to see where he takes this.

I 100% agree however with the backlash of how DC marketed this book, telling everyone outright that this will be the wedding of the century, making retailers market / push and likely up their orders to sell to not just normal Batman readers, but the casual public who may stop in to get the book because of its importance (a la Superman 75). I'm also annoyed at DC spoiling the book intentionally (especially given the spoiler has the opposite effect of saying "this book isn't as important as it was hyped up to be). DC really screwed the pooch on this one.

Agree with all points. I somehow managed to avoid the spoilers and was shocked reading Batman 50 yesterday. It was actually a very, very good read and Catwoman 1 looks to be an excellent start to the new series. However, agree that DC really screwed the pooch bad. Pulling  like this is what threatens the ongoing viability of the big two and is why more readers, myself included, are now drawn to Image and other publishers. I have no idea what they were thinking but I believe this marks the end of the variant cover collecting craze, as others have already speculated.

The whole premise - can/should batman be happy and therefore can he love - is a bit too teenage magazine.  That it is being stretched out even further.. Well.... Sigh.. 

The guy is a good looking beefcake billionaire and all he could say was paperback schlop.  

They are writing bats for the wrong demographic.. Or maybe the demographic has changed that much that fantasy romance novels  is a thing we apparently want to read 

Edited by MGH

I love King’s Mister Miracle but the whole Batman series has not impressed me in the slightest. Jokes and Riddles was the real cut off point for me and beyond that all the ‘Bat’ and ‘Cat’ stuff annoys the hell outta me. I get that romance can be a part of Batman’s story  but I’d agree with the post above where it feels too much like a teen mag. :sick:

So now that everyone is mad and the story was a non-event, can I get all of those variants for $2 or $3 each? That's what I'm willing to pay. Let me know!

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

So now that everyone is mad and the story was a non-event, can I get all of those variants for $2 or $3 each? That's what I'm willing to pay. Let me know!

Give it a month or two. Hard for people to let the bottom drop out in a few days. 

Before the issue came out, I’ve already saw the Times article. I thought it was pretty stupid of DC to let the cat out of the bag even before the issue came out. But then when I read the issue, especially the last page, I think dc took a gamble. Just think what would Batman and Catwoman do when (not if) they found out who what/who really was pulling the strings. 

Also, if you’ve been reading the previous books, King dropped a few hints here and there about this, especially his Batman-Joker-Catwoman storyline. So it wasn’t a big surprise nor a big disappointment. 

22 hours ago, combiner1 said:

Before the issue came out, I’ve already saw the Times article. I thought it was pretty stupid of DC to let the cat out of the bag even before the issue came out. But then when I read the issue, especially the last page, I think dc took a gamble. Just think what would Batman and Catwoman do when (not if) they found out who what/who really was pulling the strings. 

Also, if you’ve been reading the previous books, King dropped a few hints here and there about this, especially his Batman-Joker-Catwoman storyline. So it wasn’t a big surprise nor a big disappointment. 

The whole concept of an arch nemeis "pulling the strings" to  sabotage the wedding and "break" (emotionally) the hero seems far more "Days of our Lives" than something you would want to read in a batman comic .. 

Pass. 

On 7/7/2018 at 12:49 PM, combiner1 said:

or if you guys remember. way back in brave and the bold #197

the bat and the cat ACTUALLY get married ?

not original art but original color guides :)

bab.jpg

Edited by Kwan Chang

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, MGH said:
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:49 PM, F For Fake said:

Give it a month or two. Hard for people to let the bottom drop out in a few days. 

Rest assured this will happen over time. They will bleed out slowly. There is nothing there to get them to hold their value other than scarcity of the book
itself which might save a couple.

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Story drama aside, the Middleton is just stunning in hand. It's probably modeled after Audrey Hepburn.

IMG_8640.JPG

IMG_8641.JPG

Despite everything I feel like those are worth every cent I paid. The only issues of 50 I bought.