• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maybe my favorite cover of all time, now in my gallery

36 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

You can read my little ramblings if you want on CAF. But sufficiet to say i acquired one of my favorite pieces of comic book art ever made. Ive coveted this art for over 30 years. Now its mine. Im happy, im very happy. Its been so long since i acquired a piece that actually moved me this way...anyway, enough prattle.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1477226&GSub=145535

Daredevil issue 249 , Leonardi and Williamson

DareDevil249Cover.jpg

Very cool cover. It’s no wonder that the take down happened so quickly. Congrats on acquiring this grail. 

A rare and special day when a vivid childhood memory pops up and you can recapture a piece of it for yourself in the present.

Really happy for you. Love that cover. 

What blows my mind is that it was THIS cover, it was meant to be. Any other cover from this era and caliber, I would have hit the BIN price without a thought. That it was THIS cover, after all these years...I only saw it cause i woke up at 3am just after he listed it. i was gonna send it off to get cleaned, but now looking at it, it really doesnt need it.

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

What blows my mind is that it was THIS cover, it was meant to be. Any other cover from this era and caliber, I would have hit the BIN price without a thought. That it was THIS cover, after all these years...I only saw it cause i woke up at 3am just after he listed it. i was gonna send it off to get cleaned, but now looking at it, it really doesnt need it.

congrats on a really memorable cover! as a side note - 3am eh? That's the secret to scoring great art! Thanks for sharing. 

Great cover, equally great that it ended up in the hands for who it was meant to be.  I loved Leonardi (and Williamson of course) during this period.  Congrats.  Just curious about how you found it, because as collectors we are as interested in the chase as the acquisition.  Did it post on a dealers website out of the blue.  Who had it?  Details!

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

Haha, yeah I shoulda shared the tale a little. Long and short i was watching "vikings" with the wife on amazon when I feel asleep. 3 hours later I wake up thirsty as heck but figured I'd check eBay before i got a drink and went to legit bed. Scroll through my phone, 3 pieces from top of new....in a horrible cheap red matte, there it was. I open it up, like my mind reeling "OMG" as I check the images. Guy had zero rating but 180 feedback, just it had been a while since he sold. The last image sealed it for me it was legit, the piece was MASKING TAPE mounted to the matte, UGH!! No one would go to that level of detail to fake it, and no one would ever INTENTIONALLY do that to such an iconic piece of 80s marvel cover art.

The story made sense, the art DEFINITELY made sense, everything lined up. Now I'm gonna try and say this next part without sounding particularly like a tool lol...When it came to the price, I'll just say I've had some experience in evaluating and pricing comic art. Since its been revealed where i got this and people can look up what I paid, I'll just say this, I'd have been hitting BIN on this piece had I never read or seen the comic before.

The second I hit BIN, i felt in shock. I started texting my friend who also collects comic art "OMG OMG" over and over. I woke up 3 hours later and saw replies to my texts. My friends and I went back and forth on the odds of this piece showing up at such an odd time. I knew a few collectors who had pages from the book, looking for this cover. I never thought id own it. If it went to auction, I know I couldn't out-punch any motivated "Russian Oil Czar" level collectors. It was a perfect storm of right place right time that let ME, of all folks possible, land it.

Anyway, that's the story.

I’d say you got lucky when you saw it when you did. It had been posted for a few days already. It was priced to keep causal collectors at bay, but not so high that any motivated collector could have snagged it. Again, congratulations.  

38 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I’d say you got lucky when you saw it when you did. It had been posted for a few days already. It was priced to keep causal collectors at bay, but not so high that any motivated collector could have snagged it. Again, congratulations.  

I think you’re thinking of a different piece. I talked to the seller and he said it was the first time he posted it, and I won it in its first hour online. Also I check eBay a lot and hadn’t seen before til it popped up on my newly listed items.

Well doesn’t matter really lol. Just glad to have it.

10 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I think you’re thinking of a different piece. I talked to the seller and he said it was the first time he posted it, and I won it in its first hour online. Also I check eBay a lot and hadn’t seen before til it popped up on my newly listed items.

Well doesn’t matter really lol. Just glad to have it.

Hmm. I had it on my watch list for a few days (maybe three?) and I was surprised it hadn’t been snatched up. But you know, maybe my memory falters after tracking so many pieces. It’s just weird that I could have sworn it was up for about 72 hours. But like you said, it doesn’t matter as long as you got it in time.