• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever happened to Dupcak/Hammer/Comic Keys/Robojo
4 4

102 posts in this topic

I know he still sells on ebay as Kellyssuperheroes but doesn't run auctions anymore. Wasn't there a court case against him that Zaid was pursuing? Anyone know what happened? Has anyone bought from him under the kellyssuperheroes ID? Looks like he is disclosing at least some of the resto work done these days. I assume still badly overgraded and probably isn't disclosing everything. Or is he trying to be legit? And no, I'm not considering purchasing from him. Just curious as he has slowly faded away from discussions on these boards and I think the new guard here might not even know who he is.

I don't think kellysuperheroes is Dupcak.  I was going to buy a book from him a couple of years ago and just asked him outright if he was Dupcak.  He said he gets the question every once in awhile because of the way he grades and because of the restored books.  He said his name was "Ed Kelly" (I think) and said at one point the Dupcak association was an issue for him as far as his presence on eBay.  He even went into his background, how he started collecting, when he started collecting, the fact his grandkids like comics.  If it is Dupcak he's gone to great lengths to create a back story and identity.  However, based on what Dupcak did do, you can't necessarily rule it out.              

53 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I don't think kellysuperheroes is Dupcak.  I was going to buy a book from him a couple of years ago and just asked him outright if he was Dupcak.  He said he gets the question every once in awhile because of the way he grades and because of the restored books.  He said his name was "Ed Kelly" (I think) and said at one point the Dupcak association was an issue for him as far as his presence on eBay.  He even went into his background, how he started collecting, when he started collecting, the fact his grandkids like comics.  If it is Dupcak he's gone to great lengths to create a back story and identity.  However, based on what Dupcak did do, you can't necessarily rule it out.              

I certainly wouldn't expect him to admit it. If it's not Dupcak, it's a shill for him. When he was selling as robojo, his name was Perry something. I don't remember anymore what name he used as comic-keys but I don't think it was Dupcak. The similarities between the type of books, how he markets them, the resto and even how he writes his descriptions are too great and if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's probably a duck even if the duck is telling you it's a chicken.

14 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

I certainly wouldn't expect him to admit it. If it's not Dupcak, it's a shill for him. When he was selling as robojo, his name was Perry something. I don't remember anymore what name he used as comic-keys but I don't think it was Dupcak. The similarities between the type of books, how he markets them, the resto and even how he writes his descriptions are too great and if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's probably a duck even if the duck is telling you it's a chicken.

It may be someone selling the books for him.  I asked for additional pics of the book I was interested in (pic angles are terrible) and it took him a couple of days to get them to me.  I can't remember what he said but I remember thinking he probably doesn't have immediate access to the books.  

Edited by comicquant

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:
1 hour ago, comicquant said:

It is almost without a doubt him.

He's a lifelong liar so you can't expect an honest answer.

As for what happened to him, someone would just need to bump the Zaid thread or post a link here. There were some updates in that thread.

On 6/6/2018 at 5:40 PM, LordRahl said:

What gave you that idea? And no, I don't think that's the case. Not that ebay would be able to stop him even if they wanted to but I have never heard anything about ebay having any sort of opinion on the matter.

I misspoke. What I meant was I didn't think he'd sell on eBay because his finances are scrutinized now because of a lawsuit in which he owed his former girlfriend child support.

On 6/7/2018 at 11:23 AM, LordRahl said:

He's created elaborate back stories for himself many times in the past. After looking at his listings, I think it's him.

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I misspoke. What I meant was I didn't think he'd sell on eBay because his finances are scrutinized now because of a lawsuit in which he owed his former girlfriend child support.

Find Mark's old update on the support lawsuit. The kid aged out and the lawsuit was dropped.

10 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

Find Mark's old update on the support lawsuit. The kid aged out and the lawsuit was dropped.

I remember that.  What a tool he is.  I exchanged some PM's with his girlfriend.  She seemed nice.  I was hoping he might of left some info either on a computer or notebook, of the books he manipulated.  No such luck.  

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

You ever ask yourself...."how can someone claim a comic book has never been read and/or opened?"....

I have.

Maybe there's an invisible seal, that can only be detected under a special light...?

Like they use at motel crime scenes...?

They make that swishy noise when you open them up for the first time - but it is only the first time.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

They make that swishy noise when you open them up for the first time - but it is only the first time.

lol

"Swishhhhh...."

If your disputing what I said, I have to question your collecting background.  Comics do make a distinctive sound the first time they are opened.  At least they did in the 70s and 80s and 90s.  I don't know about now.  The covers were tacked to the first interior pages ever so lightly.