• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever happened to Dupcak/Hammer/Comic Keys/Robojo
4 4

102 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

kellyssuperheroes is Dupcak.  Look at the trim job on that Strange Tales #110

s-l1600.jpg

It's a lovely trim job.

Too bad it functionally destroys the book.

Such a shame...so many otherwise very nice, high grade 8.0-9.2 books completely ruined because someone wants to steal money from others.

8 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's a lovely trim job.

Too bad it functionally destroys the book.

Such a shame...so many otherwise very nice, high grade 8.0-9.2 books completely ruined because someone wants to steal money from others.

I don't think any trim job is lovely. It's a mistake.  Compounded by time, and in most cases costly. Years ago, not so much of a mistake, but today's unrestored 8.0s have relative value to yesteryear's NMs.

26 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I don't think any trim job is lovely. It's a mistake.  Compounded by time, and in most cases costly. Years ago, not so much of a mistake, but today's unrestored 8.0s have relative value to yesteryear's NMs.

There are trim jobs that are lovely, and there are trim jobs that look like a child took safety scissors to the book.

This trim job is laser precise, creating perfect edges. I recognize the craftsmanship to do something like that. It looks like you could cut your fingers on those edges. 

It's simply too bad it's on an item that destroys its value as a collectible. The value of it is in its originality, not its precision edges. 

Don't misunderstand...I am in no way endorsing trimming. I'm merely reflecting on the precision of this particular job.

29 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

There are trim jobs that are lovely, and there are trim jobs that look like a child took safety scissors to the book.

This trim job is laser precise, creating perfect edges. I recognize the craftsmanship to do something like that. It looks like you could cut your fingers on those edges. 

It's simply too bad it's on an item that destroys its value as a collectible. The value of it is in its originality, not its precision edges. 

Don't misunderstand...I am in no way endorsing trimming. I'm merely reflecting on the precision of this particular job.

I understand. I think there was a thread where a seller was discussed who lists books that looks like a cumulative inch or more is trimmed off, and like you referred to, like a child with a dull pair of scissors did it. But like this seller, it's mentioned in the listing. Some do, but I don't view selling a trimmed book with full disclosure as thievery, these books are already trimmed, so there's only three choices for them. To not be sold, to be sold with full disclosure, or to be sold without disclosure, which would be thievery.

But I agree 100% with you. Trimming a book is a very poor choice by today's marketplace values and liquidity. Done well, it's craftsmanship. Done poorly it's not. But it's still butchery either way.

Was just looking through his e bay store. These books look to good to be true and these angled shots look odd to me. Every book seems to have razor sharp edges and the open end of most of the books don't really show any distinctive pages. Some are like a solid white line. These pics to me look like they were all enhanced and photo doctored up. Who knows?

Edited by DR.X

and I didn't see any back cover scans or pics on most of them. when you scroll down the listing many of them say slight color touch, trimmed, slightly trimmed doh! and other notes. he's asking high prices for these books too. if the high grade raw ones are what he says they are, get them slabbed right. but he claims he was banned by CGC or something for slabbing right. wonder if these books are cracked out lower grades that he doctors up and then fuzzes these scans up for his listings? who knows.

Edited by DR.X

1 minute ago, DR.X said:

There's a big dif between trimmed and "slightly" trimmed, but I don't have the slightest idea WTF that means.

see my new sigline lol 

2 minutes ago, kav said:

see my new sigline lol 

slightly means you only hack off one side of the book.

moderate trim means you hack of the top and bottom edges only.

full blown trim, you chop off all three for the trifecta, triple trim of terror.

Edited by DR.X

55 minutes ago, DR.X said:

slightly means you only hack off one side of the book.

moderate trim means you hack of the top and bottom edges only.

full blown trim, you chop off all three for the trifecta, triple trim of terror.

Ultra trim means all 4 sides cut!!!

Just now, mattn792 said:

Green label - BOOK MANUFACTURED WITHOUT A SPINE

Trim book into 9 equal size segments!!!  MORE $$$