• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Hero Initiative books - underwhelming

8 posts in this topic

Is anyone else underwhelmed by this year's Hero Initiative 100 books?  I typically love these books.  I thought the Wonder Woman books from last year were great, but this year they are awful.  Adventure Time, while a great show, is a pretty crappy (and limited) subject matter for art and really only appeals to a very limited audience.  Plus they didn't seem to get as many big name artist this year, and frankly, many of the artist just phoned in their covers.  If your goal is a raise as much money as possible why wouldn't you do Marvel or DC books every year that have a much broader appeal and long term collectablity?  For instance, the Jeff Brown book, which I thought was one of the better covers from a fairly well known child's book artist, only sold for $266, while his WW cover from last sold for $400 without the help of eBay. Rant over. 

Edited by bigcbass

found some of them :shy: as they ARE "adventure time" books I don't get some of the references.... kind of cheapens it for me, but maybe some people will find it better than I (thumbsu 

5 hours ago, bigcbass said:

Is anyone else underwhelmed by this year's Hero Initiative 100 books?  I typically love these books. I thought the Wonder Woman books from last year were great, but this year they are awful.  Adventure Time, while a great show, is a pretty crappy (and limited) subject matter for art and really only appeals to a very limited audience.  Plus they didn't seem to get as many big name artist this year, and frankly, many of the artist just phoned in their covers.  If your goal is a raise as much money as possible why wouldn't you do Marvel or DC books every year that have a much broader appeal and long term collectablity?  For instance, the Jeff Brown book, which I thought was one of the better covers from a fairly well known child's book artist, only sold for $266, while his WW cover from last sold for $400 without the help of eBay. Rant over. 

My pocketbook is very grateful that Hero decided to roll out a "klunker" or at least a book/art I'm not personally crazy about. That being said, if you'll notice, Hero does a good job of spreading around their 100 projects to different publishers. My guess is that keeps Hero from "going to the well too often" with the big 2. Also, since the artists who donate their work don't get paid, (even though Hero Initiative does benefit the medium), Hero has to be careful not to burn those bridges either. All in all I will probably not buy nearly as many of these as I otherwise would in previous projects, but it's still a great cause to support and I'm sure I will bag a few here and there!

I do love the Frison cover a ton, but I know it's going to go out of my price range.

There's a few others I could see myself bidding on when the time comes; I only watched the first season or so of Adventure Time so I'm not crazy about them.