• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage upping the Buyers Premium
1 1

15 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

I hate they charge these sky high buyer premiums.  Since I live fairly close to where they are, I have to pay sales tax as well.  It’s been a long time since I won anything from Heritage. 

I imagine it won't be that difficult should we try to guess when the next time you win anything from Heritage will be? 

28 minutes ago, Columbia Comics said:

From 19.5% to 20%

Not a lot but more in their pocket and less in the consignor. 

Thoughts!?!

I guess the price of shipping out all those Heritage catalogs went up.  (trade tariffs?) I'll be adjusting my bidding accordingly.  Of course exceptions will probably be made for those must-have books.  It would be nice if they were to adjust the commission they charge sellers by an equal percentage decrease.

46 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I imagine it won't be that difficult should we try to guess when the next time you win anything from Heritage will be? 

Nope! Unless there is a book I REALLY want and I’m willing to pay the price and the 20% juice on top. 

2 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

From 19.5% to 20%

Not a lot but more in their pocket and less in the consignor. 

Thoughts!?!

Since I don't buy from them it doesn't impact me much.

However since I am a consignment site I hope they raise it to 25%.  More books will be consigned with me.    

2 hours ago, musicmeta said:

I hate they charge these sky high buyer premiums.  Since I live fairly close to where they are, I have to pay sales tax as well.  It’s been a long time since I won anything from Heritage. 

+1, i've tracked every comic auction including each Sunday for over 10 years but since they opened an office in CA , i don't think i've ever won a book.  i finally gave up tracking the Sunday auctions this week

I don't buy from them either. Between paying through the nose to begin with, BP, sales tax and shipping I'm out. I also don't like the auction laws in TX

I bought one book from them a few years ago. Kinda felt a little dirty and taken. 

But if want the juice, they sure have it. 

Only things I really buy through Heritage are original art.  If that is the only venue to obtain a certain piece I have to bite the bullet.  However, keep in mind that i also have to pay a sales tax on the item and I know my purchasing power is stronger elsewhere.  

3 hours ago, justafan said:

I guess the price of shipping out all those Heritage catalogs went up.  (trade tariffs?) I'll be adjusting my bidding accordingly.  Of course exceptions will probably be made for those must-have books.  It would be nice if they were to adjust the commission they charge sellers by an equal percentage decrease.

I'd venture to guess that large consignors are not even charged a commission and in fact get more than 100% of the hammer (pre buyers' premium).  At least that's how things work in their coin world.

It's expensive but they do offer arguably the best auction platform, a world class catalogue and an international presence that no other auction has house.

Can't have it all. You can't have a world class auction house cheap.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

It's expensive but they do offer arguably the best auction platform, a world class catalogue and an international presence that no other auction has house.

Can't have it all. You can't have a world class auction house cheap.

Good for Heritage and the consigners, not so good for the buyers.

I prefer to go a little more "down town" for my comic buying needs...

43 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Good for Heritage and the consigners, not so good for the buyers.

Heritage's bidding platform factors in the buyer's premium into your final bid price.

So just bid as much as you are willing to pay for the item in total and if someone wants to pay more, there's no harm done.

For example, if you want to pay $100 for an item, just bid $84, Heritage adds the other $16 for you, shows you your total and you pay $100 (plus a few cents).