• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAME OF THRONES prequel 'BLOODMOON' (2021?)

34 posts in this topic

GAME OF THRONES Prequel To Be Set Thousands Of Years Before Original Series; Jane Goldman On Board As Writer

161227.jpg

HBO is moving ahead with a pilot episode for one of five potential Game of Thrones spinoffs, and intriguing details on what is set to be a prequel to the current show have now been revealed.

It seems the new series will take place back when White Walkers and the Children of the Forest still roamed freely in Westeros, as it's reportedly set thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones.

HBO has released a synopsis:

“Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East, to the Starks of legend … it’s not the story we think we know.”

Jane Goldman (Kingsman: The Secret Service, X-Men: First Class, Kick-) is teaming up with A Song of Ice and Fire author author George R.R. Martin to write and show-run the series, which doesn't currently have a title.

Edited by Bosco685
Working title 'Bloodmoon'

Why would they pick a period so far removed from all events from the first series?  Picking up at some point during the rise of Aegon Targaryen seems like more of a crowd-pleaser.

I know, but all we have heard for a while now is the sounds of crickets at night on that one. I am not holding my breath. I trust HBO to get a quality series into production more than Amazon.

11 hours ago, kimik said:

I know, but all we have heard for a while now is the sounds of crickets at night on that one. I am not holding my breath. I trust HBO to get a quality series into production more than Amazon.

That's true for the most part.  Though I do think Amazon did a pretty great job with both Goliath and Sneaky Pete.  Both quality series.  (Without the HUUUUGE budget required to bring GOT and LOTR to life.)

On 6/9/2018 at 6:02 AM, Anfield Fox said:

Would have prefered a sequel show 200 years after GoT. Sick of prequels and i fear it'll never live up to the series that GRRM has been working on since 1991.

That being said I will watch anything set in Westoros.

would prefer he finish the damn original series before commiting to anything else. :) I've got about a billion readers and fans in my camp. 

24 minutes ago, fett said:

would prefer he finish the damn original series before commiting to anything else. :) I've got about a billion readers and fans in my camp. 

Just glancing at his bibliography it's clear he doesn't like to work on a single story at a time and switches back and forth a lot.  He's released multiple books since the last novel and has another 700+ page book coming out later this year that's a collection of content covering the history of the Targaryens.  He's already confirmed Winds of Winter won't be out this year, but this one comes out in November:  Just be happy he's working on the universe and not necessarily the main story that started it.

Fire_and_Blood.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

Way past that to the point that I actually watched all seasons of the TV show over the last few years. I know some of it will be different in the book when and if released but oh well it's still a shame about the super long wait. 

‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel Pilot Exec Producer Sara Lee Hess Inks Overall Deal With HBO

EXCLUSIVE: Sara Lee Hess, an executive producer on HBO’s Game Of Thronesprequel pilot from Jane Goldman and George R.R Martin, has signed a two-year overall deal with the premium cable network.

Created by Goldman & Martin and written by Goldman based on a story by her and Martin, the untitled prequel takes place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones. It chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend… it’s not the story we think we know.

An extensive article, with plenty of details on what is known so far about the first approved prequel.

Game of Thrones prequel: expected release date and cast list for Bloodmoon

This prequel (working title: Bloodmoon) won the "game of thrones" (so to speak) between a group of five potential spin-offs, of which the remaining four were cast aside - Valar Morgulis.

As the original series says it's finale goodbye, here is everything we know about the Game of Thrones prequel so far: 

When can we watch it?

It's a good thing that Game of Thrones fans are used to waiting (eight years and counting since the last book), because the new series won't be on our screens until 2020 at least. That's because Casey Bloys, HBO's president of programming, wants "the final season of Game of Thrones to be the final season of Game of Thrones".

He told Hollywood Deadline in January: "I don’t want to use it to launch something else, I want it to stand as the finale of the greatest TV show of all time, I don’t want to do anything that infringes on that."

Who has been cast and who will they play?

Casting news is being released in fits and starts, but HBO appears to be bringing the dragonfire power. Two-time Oscar nominated British actress Naomi Watts, who is best known for her roles in films Mulholland Drive, King Kong, 21 Gramsand Showtime’s revival of cult series Twin Peaks, will be the lead of the still-untitled prequel’s ensemble cast.

The details of Watts' character are being kept mum, but it is known she will play “a charismatic socialite hiding a dark secret.” 

Fans are already speculating whom Watts will be playing, with some thinking she could be Nissa Nissa, a casually referenced figure in Westerosi lore. Nissa Nissa was the wife of ancient hero Azor Ahai, the Lord of Light and central figure of the faith of R’hllor. Legend has it, he forged the magical sword Lightbringer by plunging it through the heard of his beloved in order to defeat the White Walkers.

Until further details are announced, anything is possible but Watts’ character’s description draws similarities to Cersei Lannister; perhaps she could be a Lannister ancestor?

Who is involved?

Game of Thrones creators and executive producers David Benioff and D. B. Weiss will not be on board, but purists need not worry. George R R Martin himself is creating the show alongside Jane Goldman, and it is based on a story that the pair have written together. Goldman has form in adapting books for television: she wrote the screenplay for Neil Gaiman's Stardust, Peter Ackroyd's The Limehouse Golem, comic-book adaptation Kick-, Susan Hill's incredibly creepy The Woman In Black, and Tim Burton's big-screen version of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

That's not to mention her co-producing credits on Kick-, The Limehouse Golem, and both of the Kingsman films. The flame-haired wife of Jonathan Ross, Goldman certainly has impeccable geek credentials.

Excitingly, the talents of SJ Clarkson have been secured to direct the show's pilot – she'll also serve as an executive producer. Clarkson has earned directing and production credits on Jessica Jones, the Marvel-Netflix show, as well as Orange is the New Black. She'll be taking on the project after directing the next film in the rebooted Star Trek franchise.

What will it be about?

HBO have revealed that it will tell of  "the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend… it’s not the story we think we know."

The Age of Heroes is supposed to have taken place 10,000 years before the events of the show, and to have ended around 6,000 years before the show started (If you're a stickler for detail, the first season of the show is set in 298 AC (After Conquest) and season eight was set in 305 AC. The Starks have been through a lot in just seven years.).

Who will be in it?

Given that the prequel will take place at least 6,000 years before Bran Stark got pushed out of the window, we won't be seeing such sights as Varys' youth as a slave and pickpocket, or the events that led Tywin Lannister to be such a terrible father (take note, other prequel writers!). 

However, we may well see the ancestors of some of our favourite characters. It was during the Age of Heroes that Brandon the Builder built several of the forts that we see in the show, including Stannis' seat Storm's End (the one with the gigantic map-shaped table), Winterfell, and the Wall itself. Brandon founded House Stark and was the first King of the North, making him the ancestor of Sansa, Arya and Robb. 

His counterpart is Lann the Clever, who took Casterly Rock (which Dany sent the Unsullied to attack in season eight) and founded House Lannister. He allegedly lived for 300 years, and a similarly long-lived character was the Grey King.

cool so I guess we might get some more back story of the night king? 

15 hours ago, Krishosein said:

cool so I guess we might get some more back story of the night king? 

I think I lost interest in the Night King when all it took to beat him was a shanking.  Didn't need an army...I would have sent Adebisi or Schillinger from "Oz" to take him out.  :sumo:

CtAPHAcW8AEqLF-.jpg  wp-back.php?getimage=aHR0cHM6Ly9zdGF0aWMuYnVzaW5lc3NpbnNpZGVyLmNvbS9pbWFnZS81NzcyZDU0ZTg4ZTRhNzE0MDg4YjQ5ZDYvaW1hZ2UuanBn