• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 1
6 6

341 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

IH 3.0 ¬¬ & NM 9.4 :banana:. Is there anywhere on here that I can read about the tape changes? I have a couple of older books with tape that came back 3.0. The grading guide failed me on that one. doh!

Is pretty much the entire front cover held on by the tape on your books?

4 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Is pretty much the entire front cover held on by the tape on your books?

Yeah pretty much it looks like it. Was probably graded pre-2013. Didn't check that. Some of the examples in the guide have tape also so I just went with that. Was gonna go 2.5, but then went the complete wrong way lol.

Would the grade still be the same if it was only a couple of inches of tape and the cover wasn't completely turn off like IH 181? 

Edited by Not A Clone

That gives me another question-what if that IH was still attached at the tear, but only by 1/2 inch of cover?

1 minute ago, Not A Clone said:

Yeah pretty much it looks like it. Was probably graded pre-2013. Didn't check that. Some of the examples in the guide have tape also so I just went with that. Was gonna go 2.5, but then went the complete wrong way lol. 

Wow. I don't think 3.0 would be typical for a book with half the front cover detached/torn off (tape or no tape). Keep yours in those slabs because I doubt they'd ever come back as 3.0 again. B|

2 minutes ago, kav said:

That gives me another question-what if that IH was still attached at the tear, but only by 1/2 inch of cover?

Then still don't use tape. In this instance it probably made sense to do so, because otherwise it wouldn't get graded all together... meaning cgc wouldn't put it loose in the case...Probably didn't affect the grade? If they grade it like the tape isn't there and just put the notation on the label, as it seems the link said..

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

Wow. I don't think 3.0 would be typical for a book with half the front cover detached/torn off (tape or no tape). Keep yours in those slabs because I doubt they'd ever come back as 3.0 again. B|

Agreed (thumbsu

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Then still don't use tape. In this instance it probably made sense to do so, because otherwise it wouldn't get graded all together... meaning cgc wouldn't put it loose in the case...Probably didn't affect the grade? If they grade it like the tape isn't there and just put the notation on the label, as it seems the link said..

yes no tape just half the cover barely attached what would grade be?

4 minutes ago, kav said:

yes no tape just half the cover barely attached what would grade be?

I would call that similar to "partially detached cover", no higher than 3.0, then dock it 1.0 grade (or a bit more) for the aesthetics of such a large front tear.

ETA: I have a raw JO134 in the exact condition you're describing, full-length fc tear and hanging on by an inch at the bottom and I graded it 1.8 myself.

Edited by jcjames

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

I would call that similar to "partially detached cover", no higher than 3.0, then dock it 1.0 grade (or a bit more) for the aesthetics of such a large front tear.

so maybe 1.8 if still attached barely, 1.5 with completely missing and thrown away. (which it was explained to me by CGC having a loose piece of cover adds nothing and tape will downgrade so no reason from a grading standpoint to even keep it.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

so maybe 1.8 if still attached barely, 1.5 with completely missing and thrown away. (which it was explained to me by CGC having a loose piece of cover adds nothing and tape will downgrade so no reason from a grading standpoint to even keep it.

But that doesn't apply to a fully detached cover though. hm

Just now, jcjames said:

But that doesn't apply to a fully detached cover though. hm

No maybe i'm not being clear-I am wondering if that IH had no tape, same tear except it wasnt fully torn off but still attached by 1/2" what would grade be?  My guess is 2.0

2 hours ago, kav said:

yes I also ended up with a total score of 2 by guessing 1.0 and 8.5.  so sickening.  My initial gut was 1.0 and 9.4 then i kept looking for defects.

I did the same, I thought there's no way the Hulk is getting higher than a 1.0 with half a cover torn off and I counted what I thought were at least 10 spine tics on the NM.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

No maybe i'm not being clear-I am wondering if that IH had no tape, same tear except it wasnt fully torn off but still attached by 1/2" what would grade be?  My guess is 2.0

I was just referring to your comment about having a completely loose piece of cover and CGC saying "it adds nothing so no reason to keep it" and comparing that situation to a fully detached cover.

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I was just referring to your comment about having a completely loose piece of cover and CGC saying "it adds nothing so no reason to keep it" and comparing that situation to a fully detached cover.

Yes those are different.  I would keep it.

Ps I'm kind of glad round 2 was delayed so I can lick my wounds some more.

rocky5.jpg