• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 1
6 6

341 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Larryw7 said:

I got a bullseye for the Hulk, and graded the NM 7.0. :fear: I thought it looked crappy and unappealing. 

Yes that was the Liefeld art.

25 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I got a bullseye for the Hulk, and graded the NM 7.0. :fear:I thought it looked crappy and unappealing. 

damn. Kav beat me to it.

Edited by jcjames

6 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

You were closer than me.  I couldn't bring myself to put it above a .5 

I went 0.5 and 9.2.  The book is an 0.5 and 1,0 max. I always say in my head what would you be comfortable grading the raw book if you sent it off and someone opened it on the other end and they would be happy or at least agreeable on the grade.  Who could say they could sell that above a 1.0? 

I had a NM 98 a while back that the seller guaranteed was a 9,8....came back a CGC 9.4.  Perhaps that clouded my vision.  Wanted to go 9,4 but the fuzzy top BC edges made me pull it down to a 9,2,  I'm happy with the round 1 results. :headbang:

Through all these contests, I've learned I can't grade lower end books.  Higher grade is no problem.  I honestly thought 1.8 was default for detached portion of the IH.  That's just my lack of knowledge apparently.  That NM looks like a 9,4 to me, which i got that one correct.  :D

9 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Went 2.0 and 9.4.  Couldn’t even guess how a complete rip would get downgraded and was thinking 1.8 but CGC seems to be loose in the lower grades.

I went with the same exact grades

4 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

I went 0.5 and 9.2.  The book is an 0.5 and 1,0 max. I always say in my head what would you be comfortable grading the raw book if you sent it off and someone opened it on the other end and they would be happy or at least agreeable on the grade.  Who could say they could sell that above a 1.0? 

I had a NM 98 a while back that the seller guaranteed was a 9,8....came back a CGC 9.4.  Perhaps that clouded my vision.  Wanted to go 9,4 but the fuzzy top BC edges made me pull it down to a 9,2,  I'm happy with the round 1 results. :headbang:

Yup, had both at the same grades as well.

From what I read if the tape was not there it would receive a lower grade.

Info found here  https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3327&cgc-modifies-stance-on-grading-submissions-with-tape

I guess that's why I went with 4.5 on the IH and 9.2 on the NM

If the IH had got a GREEN label it might have graded a 4.0 to 4.5 

Let's say you owned that Hulk book--- trying to think of what I would do if it were my own and I felt like burning some money. I'm thinking I would get professional restoration done to remove the tape carefully and reattach/join the ripped cover portion (good use of tear seal?). Also would do a clean and press (that back cover looks filthy). Having it re-graded at that point, not sure what restored grade it might be able to get. I can't see it going up much from a universal grade position though.

Or do nothing since the book looks decent enough as is--- I mean short of this being a personal copy I bought of the racks, is investing any money into this book really worth it? I suppose the tape removal might help preserve it.

What would you do, if anything?

Hmm...I got a bullseye on the NM, and overgraded the IH by a bit. Wasn't sure how much a detached chunk like that would affect grade, especially if it was taped on (as opposed to just missing). Gotta get better with lower grades, they definitely tend to be my weakness...along with middle grades. And higher grades.

9 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

Me too I'm happy with round 1. I nailed IH and was only slightly off NM. I agree if I were selling IH mail order I would price it at 1.0. Better to under grade than over grade, and with such a severe defect! 

2 hours ago, topcat54 said:

From what I read if the tape was not there it would receive a lower grade.

Info found here  https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3327&cgc-modifies-stance-on-grading-submissions-with-tape

I guess that's why I went with 4.5 on the IH and 9.2 on the NM

If the IH had got a GREEN label it might have graded a 4.0 to 4.5 

I'm new to the whole CGC thing. I know what blue, purple and yellow lables are. What is a green label?

1 minute ago, flashlites said:

I'm new to the whole CGC thing. I know what blue, purple and yellow lables are. What is a green label?

Qualified.... it means different things: unwitnessed signature, or "incomplete" with something missing like a MVS or a page, doesn't necessarily have to affect the story :)