• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 1
6 6

341 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sckao said:

The middle table is actually the main table you guys see.

In the future, I would probably make it so players had to enter their guesses into a unique encrypted FORM for each round. That way, we could tabulate all the entries instantly and could close the FORM round for everyone instantly by closing the form round guesses.

Forms would re-open for the next round just for that round of Guesses. (So we could close Round 1 and then Open Round 2 on the same Form.) Host Comments would still happen via some method. :baiting:

(That's probably for someone else to run if I automate it that way... Like I told Andy, this is probably my last Grading Contest unless something happens. If that new idea interests me enough to make it happen, then we might have an improved interface next time that I'll pilot.)

Thanks for all your work, and GreenEggs, too,  This is my first grading attempt and am learning a lot.

7 hours ago, flashlites said:

Ok I get the green label for a signature that hasn't been authenticated... but for other defects that are "authentic" I don't understand. Surly you couldn't sell the book at the green label grade?

Another condition that results in a qualified grade is a married cover or married pages.  Example my #1 FF purchased for 50-cents from a fanzine ad in 1971...this is cracked back out of the case... :headbang:

FANTASTIC FOUR 1  G COW.JPG

FANTASTIC FOUR 1 CGC 2.0 COW.jpg

3 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

Another condition that results in a qualified grade is a married cover or married pages.  Example my #1 FF purchased for 50-cents from a fanzine ad in 1971...this is cracked back out of the case... :headbang:

I will give you 10 times your initial investment for that book!

7 minutes ago, kav said:

I will give you 10 times your initial investment for that book!

Taped two (2) quarters to a 3x5 index card...,mailed it off and the book showed up 2 or 3 weeks later.  Leap of faith but I figured if the book never came I could afford the 50-cent hit.  Although bear in mind you could get a lid of good Columbian at the time for $10 bucks... :whatthe:

Edited by trmoore54

28 minutes ago, sd2416 said:

If you missed round one, are you still in it?

Yes, you're still in it. (thumbsu

It's best to compete and submit grades for as many rounds as you can, because the points are cumulative. 

With prizes at the end going to the top 50 (or so) places, every point counts.  Could be more prizes, could be less, that just depends on how many people donate things.

Edited by thirdgreenham

To keep a reminder for myself, I set a calendar reminder on my phone for 10 pm (when the books for a round are first posted - more or less) every two days through the end of the contest. I had to adjust it slightly after round one was a little delayed-- but this works for me.

Edited by 01TheDude

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

No - you and Toro are out

:banana:

7 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

Yes, you're still in it. (thumbsu

It's best to compete and submit grades for as many rounds as you can, because the points are cumulative. 

With prizes at the end going to the top 50 (or so) places, every point counts.  Could be more prizes, could be less, that just depends on how many people donate things.

:sorry:

28 minutes ago, toro said:

I know CGC hammers books with tape.  But it's books like this one that made me go a little higher on the IH181

4457557.jpg

If that book with no tape and a much smaller piece ripped off got a 1.5 the IH had no business being a 1.5.  I demand a resubmittal of the IH and GreenHam point this out then when it comes back a 1.0 I want my 5 points!! :sumo:

ps that book would make me go lower, not higher on the IH wtf.

Edited by kav

20 minutes ago, kav said:

If that book with no tape and a much smaller piece ripped off got a 1.5 the IH had no business being a 1.5.  I demand a resubmittal of the IH and GreenHam point this out then when it comes back a 1.0 I want my 5 points!! :sumo:

ps that book would make me go lower, not higher on the IH wtf.

Difference is the ih 181 has the piece still. This book is missing it entirely. The ih presents way nicer than the two gun kid. IMO the two gun kid should be a .5 or 1.0 at best

1 hour ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

Difference is the ih 181 has the piece still. This book is missing it entirely. The ih presents way nicer than the two gun kid. IMO the two gun kid should be a .5 or 1.0 at best

I spoke to CGC on the phone and was informed it makes no grade difference if you have the piece or not it is graded the same and tape lowers the grade.

Edit: I remember now he said the tape 'could' lower the grade not 'would' lower the grade.

Edited by kav

6 minutes ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

I see. Makes sense. Definitely looks better to me though. 

Me too and I was stunned to hear it.  I was thinking like ok what about a detached cover?  As a collector I would rather have a taped on piece than no piece at all and I think most would agree.

Edited by kav