• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 1
6 6

341 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, kav said:

Me too and I was stunned to hear it.  I was thinking like ok what about a detached cover?  As a collector I would rather have a taped on piece than no piece at all and I think most would agree.

The thing you said CGC told you makes no sense.

If half a cover was torn as in the IH and was MISSING that half the cover, are they saying it'd be the same as having a complete (though taped) cover?

Makes no sense. Are you sure you dialed the right number?

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

The thing you said CGC told you makes no sense.

If half a cover was torn as in the IH and was MISSING that half the cover, are they saying it'd be the same as having a complete (though taped) cover?

Makes no sense. Are you sure you dialed the right number?

I am sure.  And it wouldnt be the same-the taped cover would be lower grade.  this was about a year and a half ago.  If someone from CGC wants to clarify I would be interested .

Edit: I remember now he said the tape 'could' lower the grade not 'would' lower the grade.

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, kav said:

I am sure.  And it wouldnt be the same-the taped cover would be lower grade.  this was about a year and a half ago.  If someone from CGC wants to clarify I would be interested .

That's just cray-cray.

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

That's just cray-cray.

Maybe it depends on the size of the piece? (shrug)

I remember now he said the tape 'could' lower the grade not 'would' lower the grade.  I think that definitely makes it less crazy.

6 hours ago, kav said:

I spoke to CGC on the phone and was informed it makes no grade difference if you have the piece or not it is graded the same and tape lowers the grade.

Edit: I remember now he said the tape 'could' lower the grade not 'would' lower the grade.

I believe you called, but I don’t believe that answer. 2c 

1 hour ago, thirdgreenham said:
8 hours ago, kav said:

I spoke to CGC on the phone and was informed it makes no grade difference if you have the piece or not it is graded the same and tape lowers the grade.

I believe you called, but I don’t believe that answer. 2c 

I believe that you believe that but I don't believe that you don't believe the other thing.

Edited by Ryan.
Andy smells like asparagus

Well maybe you talked to the janitor (shrug) because this is what CGC says about tape.

Currently, CGC’s stance on tape allows for its presence to fix a detached cover, a tear or to re-attach a piece of the comic. This would still allow the book to receive a Universal Label and even a possible grade increase from what the book would have been had tape not been present.

After consideration of the expressed views of the community and assessment of the practice, beginning with submissions postmarked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book.

2 hours ago, topcat54 said:

Well maybe you talked to the janitor (shrug) because this is what CGC says about tape.

Currently, CGC’s stance on tape allows for its presence to fix a detached cover, a tear or to re-attach a piece of the comic. This would still allow the book to receive a Universal Label and even a possible grade increase from what the book would have been had tape not been present.

After consideration of the expressed views of the community and assessment of the practice, beginning with submissions postmarked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book.

That is definetely not what we saw on the IH 181.  No way that book would get a 1.5 if the tape was not there and half the cover was gone.

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

That is definetely not what we saw on the IH 181.  No way that book would get a 1.5 if the tape was not there and half the cover was gone.

That's two different things.

If there was no tape, the detached untaped half-cover would still be there, just like a completely detached full cover is still there - just not attached.

Say for example - If a fully detached cover was held on by tape, they would not grade it as a "no cover". Same thing if the cover was fully detached and no tape present - you wouldn't pretend the cover WASN'T there at all.

Now using that same grading principle, apply it to a half of a cover, present but attached by tape. You wouldn't pretend the half cover WASN'T there at all.

Edited by jcjames

4 hours ago, jcjames said:

That's two different things.

If there was no tape, the detached untaped half-cover would still be there, just like a completely detached full cover is still there - just not attached.

Say for example - If a fully detached cover was held on by tape, they would not grade it as a "no cover". Same thing if the cover was fully detached and no tape present - you wouldn't pretend the cover WASN'T there at all.

Now using that same grading principle, apply it to a half of a cover, present but attached by tape. You wouldn't pretend the half cover WASN'T there at all.

speaking along those same lines-- let's say that the IH 181 book had a detached cover that was split completely at the spine but no tape -- does that book get a better grade than 1.5? Basically I am asking if the fact the front cover has a huge long torn off portion is more detrimental to the grade given versus similar tearing on the spine.

1 minute ago, 01TheDude said:
13 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 6/11/2018 at 2:00 PM, sckao said:

this is probably my last Grading Contest unless something happens.

:cry:   

hang in there @sckao -- we are just joking around. We appreciate your efforts.

please tell us what you want to happen and we will make it happen!!!!  

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

speaking along those same lines-- let's say that the IH 181 book had a detached cover that was split completely at the spine but no tape -- does that book get a better grade than 1.5? Basically I am asking if the fact the front cover has a huge long torn off portion is more detrimental to the grade given versus similar tearing on the spine.

Detached AND fully split? No, not higher than 1.5.

6 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I can't imagine a completely split on the spine cover being attached-- well I suppose one side could be

There's detached but fully intact, and then there's detached and fully split. And then like you said, I guess fully split and partially detached is also possible.

My point was that a fully detached cover would be a ding down to no higher than 2.5, and then add in a fully split spine and that'd drop it at least another 1.0 grade down to 1.5 max.

IMO