• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 1
6 6

341 posts in this topic

Just now, Chillax23 said:

I counted 7 tics ....... 

well at least whoever subbed that books is happy :) 

this is baffling.  I checked many NM 98 on ebay and plenty of 9.0 with NO SPINE TIX!!!  So I figgered 8.5 was reasonable guess......

44 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

So on the hulk I thought CGC grades now as if the tape is not there and that piece would be completely detached how is it a 1.5?

That was my reasoning too. I guessed 1.0 thinking it was pretty much the equivalent of a split and detached cover... (shrug) 1.5 doesn't seem out of the question though.

45 minutes ago, kav said:

this is baffling.  I checked many NM 98 on ebay and plenty of 9.0 with NO SPINE TIX!!!  So I figgered 8.5 was reasonable guess......

I've done that stuff too (believe me) but I honestly kinda think it's a fool's errand for the most part, and very hard to get any real data from. Even when comparing the exact same issue, in this high grade range both the grading consistency over time and the scan quality (magnifying defects in some scans, hiding them in others) can swing pretty wildly.

45 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

If I were to grade that book with the piece completely detached (which it is - without the tape) I would give it a 1.0 to a 1.5. 

CGC said 1.5! :acclaim:  

I also believe that if I asked for a green (Qualified) label, it would get a 4.5. 

I typically undergrade in these contests and had as a .5 :taptaptap:

I put 1.8 on the hulk...

I knew with the art on the NM that picking out spine ticks are hard to see. I blew up the scan and guessed 7.0 lol

I guess I should have remembered that they were smaller than when I  blew up the scan.... ah so what is that a 3 and a -1, =2?