• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Ring Question
3 3

108 posts in this topic

I just got back a bunch of GA books, no Newton Rings yet, no ripples at the top yet...but these are way too heavy and while I could fit about 25 in a box before, I'm down to 22 (maybe). I'll see what happens when I get the SA books back.

I wonder where quality control was with your book @Black_Adam?  They really shouldn't be sending those out.

I would love it if we could request "no Newton rings" on the submission form but I have a hunch that is not an option. Has anyone sent a slab with a significant amount of rings to be reholdered? And, if yes, did this correct the problem?

31 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

I would love it if we could request "no Newton rings" on the submission form but I have a hunch that is not an option. Has anyone sent a slab with a significant amount of rings to be reholdered? And, if yes, did this correct the problem?

I haven't tried to reholder books with newton rings, but I have wanted to. A while back I got back two expensive (for me) books with very bad puddling. I contacted Christian, and after sending him some pics, he said that they would reholder them for free. They came back with the EXACT same puddling. Not similar, mind you, they were the same. They transferred the books right from my box to theirs. I remember removing them from the CGC box and thought, "Shoot, they have puddling again. And they're the same size...in the same spot of the book. Come to think of it...". After I got out the pics of the books I had sent to Christian, and my suspicions confirmed, I figured that they just wanted to shut me up. So even though I've gotten books back with excessive amounts of rings (where the WHOLE cover is covered), I haven't even tried to contact them again.

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

Plenty. The 30 I sent back were all in the normal thickness cases(copper/moderns). They were all put in the thicket #5 cases and all were improved with most showing none of very little. 

Edited by I like pie

22 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Plenty. The 30 I sent back were all in the normal thickness cases(copper/moderns). They were all put in the thicket #5 cases and all were improved with most showing none of very little. 

Did you make any kind of request...like "watch for rings", or "put in bigger cases"? And if so, I wonder if we can make that request on our forms?

23 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Did you make any kind of request...like "watch for rings", or "put in bigger cases"? And if so, I wonder if we can make that request on our forms?

Yes. I requested they were all reholdereed in #5 cases but I called before I sent them in.

4 hours ago, I like pie said:

Yes. I requested they were all reholdereed in #5 cases but I called before I sent them in.

Purchased an ASM 50 off ebay with excessive newton rings.  Sent in to be reholdered with a sticky note reading "excessive newton rings, help!".  Should be back within the next week or so.  Anxious to see what it looks like.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, jdw1991 said:

Purchased an ASM 50 off ebay with excessive newton rings.  Sent in to be reholdered with a sticky note reading "excessive newton rings, help!".  Should be back within the next week or so.  Anxious to see what it looks like.

All newton rings are gone case and book look great !!!