• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Ring Question
3 3

108 posts in this topic

I started a thread on the GA board about this, but I thought I would bring it here as well since it should be of general interest.

I've been getting back books with horrible Newton Rings -- the worst I've ever experienced.  It leads me to think that either CGC has changed suppliers or it has changed the encapsulation process a bit with the result that the inner well is more likely than it was to come in contact with the slab.

I've gotten a few books where the problem isn't too bad, but the only slabs that are entirely free of the problem are the thicker-than-normal GA slabs where the inner well is recessed away from the front of the slab.

Compare Sweethearts 119 :cry: with Bomber 2 (in thicker slab). 

2018-07-05-0001_zpsnvjwgvnp.thumb.JPG.7160aeba32dba362aa295b6ad3e4b716.jpg

2018-07-05-0001_zpsu6x6ev1e-2.thumb.JPG.344f53c828642a841b68419378dbc06f.jpg

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Here's a side view of the two slabs, with the Bomber 2 on the right and the Sweethearts on the left. 

IMG_1185.jpg

Have you tried contacting CGC about having Sweethearts reholdered into the thicker slab? And is there a reason why one was graded in the thicker slab while the other wasn't? Thicker comic?

4 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Have you tried contacting CGC about having Sweethearts reholdered into the thicker slab? And is there a reason why one was graded in the thicker slab while the other wasn't? Thicker comic?

I haven't contacted them yet, but I plan to.  The Bomber Comics is a little thicker and I assume was over the line that leads them to using the deeper slab.

I included a note with my last submission. Not sure it'll make a difference.

"Please do everything you can to eliminate any possible newton rings. Thanks."

I have been having the same problem just recently. Both Spawns I sent in have the same issue, not as bad when looking at it straight on, but at any slight angle with light they are obviously distracting to say the least.

Spawn Newton 1.jpg

Spawn Newton 2.jpg

2 hours ago, Acegraphix said:

I have been having the same problem just recently. Both Spawns I sent in have the same issue, not as bad when looking at it straight on, but at any slight angle with light they are obviously distracting to say the least.

Spawn Newton 1.jpg

Spawn Newton 2.jpg

That one is pretty bad.

Just received my answer from CGC:

"There are Newton Rings present in all of our encapsulated books, these are considered normal and acceptable. Reholder service is available, however there is no guarantee that reholdering will eliminate or diminish the presence of Newton Rings."

I don't know what I find more disturbing, the admission that all CGC slabs have Newton Rings or the fact they consider them normal and acceptable. Acceptable to the company perhaps, but certainly not to their customers.

49 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

"There are Newton Rings present in all of our encapsulated books, these are considered normal and acceptable. Reholder service is available, however there is no guarantee that reholdering will eliminate or diminish the presence of Newton Rings."

I don't know what I find more disturbing, the admission that all CGC slabs have Newton Rings or the fact they consider them normal and acceptable. Acceptable to the company perhaps, but certainly not to their customers.

:pullhair:

2095233189_ASM50.thumb.jpg.a4d4b2e816626

From the website: "CGC’s state-of-the-art holder combines superior optics and the most advanced archival materials, making it ideal for visual display and preservation...The crystal­-clear plastic’s superior optics unleash a comic’s true color and vibrancy."

Visual display? With all those newton rings, this slab is just fugly. And the only thing those purportedly crystal-clear plastics are unleashing is a rantrant

On ‎2018‎/‎07‎/‎18 at 2:40 PM, Black_Adam said:

This stance is baffling to me. CGC: It is not acceptable to your customers and they are telling you this.

On 7/9/2018 at 11:44 AM, Gaard said:

I included a note with my last submission. Not sure it'll make a difference.

"Please do everything you can to eliminate any possible newton rings. Thanks."

The problem with including a note, of any sort, with the comic is it cannot travel with the comic through the process. In all honesty, it probably gets tossed by Receiving. 

12 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
On 7/18/2018 at 9:40 PM, Black_Adam said:

This stance is baffling to me. CGC: It is not acceptable to your customers and they are telling you this.

It is baffling, yes. Also, if the rings are consider by CGC to be 'normal and acceptable', why would they offer a (presumably free?) reholdering service? The offer to reholder is surely an acceptance / acknowledgement that the presence of newton rings is undesirable, no?

The only logical explanation I can think of is that they have ordered so many of the new cases that to dump them would represent an extinction level cost. Maybe they did not undertake sufficient due diligence before placing the bulk order.  They hope that they can get away with running down the supply before bringing in a modified, better tested version.

All this speculation on the owners boards is surely damaging, so the need to make a statement must be growing. There's no two ways to say it - a service to encapsulate a prized possession for posterity that places ugly rings across that possession simply cannot stand. It cannot be justified.

Unless the customers are prepared to accept them that is.

We're not, are we?

12 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It is baffling, yes. Also, if the rings are consider by CGC to be 'normal and acceptable', why would they offer a (presumably free?) reholdering service? The offer to reholder is surely an acceptance / acknowledgement that the presence of newton rings is undesirable, no?

The only logical explanation I can think of is that they have ordered so many of the new cases that to dump them would represent an extinction level cost. Maybe they did not undertake sufficient due diligence before placing the bulk order.  They hope that they can get away with running down the supply before bringing in a modified, better tested version.

All this speculation on the owners boards is surely damaging, so the need to make a statement must be growing. There's no two ways to say it - a service to encapsulate a prized possession for posterity that places ugly rings across that possession simply cannot stand. It cannot be justified.

Unless the customers are prepared to accept them that is.

We're not, are we?

No, we are not.

5 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

No, we are not.

Indeed. I've owned about 200 CGC's down the years but have never submitted. None of the previous generation holders I owned had this problem. They're opening an office in London soon so I was planning to take my AF15 and ASM 1-10 along for the treatment. I can't see me doing that while this is going on though so hope they do something soon to allay our concerns :wishluck:

9 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed. I've owned about 200 CGC's down the years but have never submitted. None of the previous generation holders I owned had this problem. They're opening an office in London soon so I was planning to take my AF15 and ASM 1-10 along for the treatment. I can't see me doing that while this is going on though so hope they do something soon to allay our concerns :wishluck:

I still find it odd that some of them have them, as most of my purchases that have the new case... there doesn't seem to be a problem. While I want you to be satisfied and I would love love to see you be happy with those books graded, London and the value seem too big a risk of the "didn't come back to your satisfaction"....

I understand cgc is willing to make things right, and I had mostly heard about this on moderns, I guess I'll have to venture (walk don't run) to GA and check'em out (thumbsu

I've put up a poll. I don't know if that's been done before, or indeed whether it will be allowed to stay. Maybe if we get hundreds of votes, we can refer it to CGC for their attention. I'm not going to post in it or comment. It will stand as it is.