• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Ring Question
3 3

108 posts in this topic

I recently sent some of my favorite books in to get reholdered because they were in the older case.  Well, today they arrived, and they all have really bad Newton Ring effect.  I've read the most-current Newton Ring thread and someone pointed out requesting the deeper well case will solve the issue.  Can anybody confirm that this works?  My only concern is that the book would rattle around inside the case since the well would be deeper.  

Newton ring can be quite painful. Carefully prise the newt from your ring, place him in a sealed - but not air tight - container, and then apply a soothing balm to the ring to reduce any inflammation. A further tip is to buy elasticated pants to prevent newts from accessing your ring in the future.

31 minutes ago, bmalone said:

So they were normal size books in deeper well cases?  Did you request them, and they still had the Newton Ring issue?

Yes, though not as plentiful.  I just don't understand why CGC can't get its act together on this issue.

T

I just got a batch of several books back. The 5 Golden Age books look gorgeous in their case I couldn’t be happier so crystal clear. My 2 Silver age books Action 242 and ASM 13 look hideous i mean the puddling is BAD. I just opened the box today and it’s the first batch I have sent in with the “new” new holder with the inner well. I have several new holder books i have won via auction and had no issue but these 2 books just look a mess. They are whiter covers too as most of you know. I will be contacting CGC as i want to reholder all my slabs but I want to make sure this isn’t an issue before I shell out hundreds of dollars. CGC has always been very responsive and courteous to me in the past so I have no doubt the situation will get cleared up. 

So as you can see here is one of the Golden Age books. No complaints it looks beautiful in its new slab like I stated couldn’t be happier not a ring to be seen. The book is slightly dirty next to Captain Flags head those aren’t rings...

40875852260_2a31f2a416_b.jpg28811559648_8690a3b2f7_b.jpg

One of the SA books I got back. Nailed the grade and PQ but the slab is not so good. The rings cover the entire book. I guess when i think about it it kind of gives it that Mysterio illusion look ? Problem is it now looks filthy at certain angles and you have to hold it just right to get what the book actually looks like. 

40875856790_3b173ec16f_b.jpg40875855600_102b2eb54b_b.jpg27816063787_07c7fea050_b.jpg40875846170_d04a1564b6_b.jpg

8 hours ago, FSF said:

I just don't understand why CGC can't get its act together on this issue.

Because they would need to change either the materials the inner well is made out of or the outer holder (or both).

27 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Because they would need to change either the materials the inner well is made out of or the outer holder (or both).

Or, cunningly devise a way for the faces of the two materials to not touch. Some kind of perimeter ridge around the inner well maybe hm

Next up, a man on the moon. 

Sadly, I consider myself an expert on this topic. Brittany was kind enough to help me reholder a 30 book order a little over a year ago. I've tried every thickness case they have and the #5 case shows the least amount of prism effect. Even those show a bit more than older cases but it's the BEST they have right now.

10 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:
11 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Or, cunningly devise a way for the faces of the two materials to not touch. Some kind of perimeter ridge around the inner well maybe

While I can't say for sure, I don't think you want a thick outer case around a thin book in an inner well. This might allow the book to bend inside the thicker outer case under some forms of impact.

Also, just like a comic book is not perfectly flat, the inner liner is never perfectly flat. It would be almost impossible to avoid contact between inner and outer liners.

I'm sure there is a solution (like applying some sort of film between the contact surfaces) but it's likely not cost effective and I don't think submitters will want to pay more for their slabs than they already do.

11 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Obviously they would need to change something because what they're doing now isn't working.  I mean when a comic book is placed in a slab, you can't read it (not that you would really want to with a high dollar book).  All you have is the beauty of the front cover to appreciate.  And it's difficult and often impossible to appreciate when there are Newton Rings all over the place.  If CGC doesn't eventually correct this in the foreseeable future, I can't fathom I'll be collecting graded books for much longer.

If we're saying that it doesn't matter or who cares, then all we're saying is that CGC books are ONLY for investing (comics are a horrible investment IMO) or as a store of value.  Collecting means nothing if it doesn't matter that the book looks as sharp as can be.  This isn't some minor nuisance.  It really is a MAJOR eyesore.  I don't think of that as an opinion but objective fact.

3 minutes ago, FSF said:

Obviously they would need to change something because what they're doing now isn't working.  I mean when a comic book is placed in a slab, you can't read it (not that you would really want to with a high dollar book).  All you have is the beauty of the front cover to appreciate.  And it's difficult and often impossible to appreciate when there are Newton Rings all over the place.  If CGC doesn't eventually correct this in the foreseeable future, I can't fathom I'll be collecting graded books for much longer.

This discussion was hashed out two years ago to death (and most agree with you). CGC isn't changing anything.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

This discussion was hashed out two years ago to death (and most agree with you). CGC isn't changing anything.

Well it would be ultimately to their detriment IMO.

Just now, FSF said:

Well it would be ultimately to their detriment IMO.

It doesn't seem to have slowed down submissions.

7 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

While I can't say for sure, I don't think you want a thick outer case around a thin book in an inner well. This might allow the book to bend inside the thicker outer case under some forms of impact.

Also, just like a comic book is not perfectly flat, the inner liner is never perfectly flat. It would be almost impossible to avoid contact between inner and outer liners.

I'm sure there is a solution (like applying some sort of film between the contact surfaces) but it's likely not cost effective and I don't think submitters will want to pay more for their slabs than they already do.

What I was thinking Roy, in the redesign in my head, was an inner holder laying flat - in fact pressed against the back of an outer holder. Then, raised ridges around the front of the inner holder keep it a millimeter or two away from the front of the outer case. The inner locks in place. So you may get Newton rings on the back.  But not the front. I can envisage the overall case being the same depth more or less as the existing cases. The benefit,  no rings on the front of the case. It's engineered to stop it. The appearance of your comic in its holder is a major feature / benefit of encapsulation. To have a design which allows a visual disturbance is highly undesirable. 

Next up, a car with a blurry wind shield. 

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

It doesn't seem to have slowed down submissions.

That's because the entire economy has been inflated like a bubble pushing asset values of everything to the sky.  It has been purely a money function recently across comics, cards, whatever.  We'll see how they hold up when the calamity hits and there is no easy money to be made by virtually anyone in comics.

CGC books are becoming like Picassos or Van Goghs with glass covers where the glass has been randomly painted all over the place largely obstructing the painting's beauty.  Who would really hang that in their home?

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What I was thinking Roy, in the redesign in my head, was an inner holder laying flat - in fact pressed against the back of an outer holder. Then, raised ridges around the front of the inner holder keep it a millimeter or two away from the front of the outer case. The inner locks in place. So you may get Newton rings on the back.  But not the front. I can envisage the overall case being the same depth more or less as the existing cases. The benefit,  no rings on the front of the case. It's engineered to stop it. The appearance of your comic in its holder is a major feature / benefit of encapsulation. To have a design which allows a visual disturbance is highly undesirable.

So then you are adding a lot to cost.

I'm sure CGC has looked at options.

I can only think that any changes at this point would be price prohibitive. Then the additional costs of retooling (and of coming up with a complex mold as opposed to a simple sheet, which the top of the inner well now is) would then be passed onto the submitters who already have complained about every price hike.

I agree that newton rings are unappealing (and even unacceptable) but I just don't see it happening.