• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Ring Question
3 3

108 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

My reply wasn't to you, but to FSF.  

I roll my eyes in your general direction.

Just now, VintageComics said:

Alrighty then Captain Obvious, let me know when you change the angle of that windmill. :flamed:

If it's so obvious, you should be helping in the attempt to change the angle.  But since CGC is making money, Vintage Comics and most dealers are making money, who cares right?  Only the lowly collectors like myself who are the end repository for these things you are pawning off to make your livings.

Just now, FSF said:

If it's so obvious, you should be helping in the attempt to change the angle.

I did. It didn't work. Do you suggest people should take on lifelong crusades for their 1st world problems and let more important things by the wayside? lol

2 minutes ago, FSF said:

But since CGC is making money, Vintage Comics and most dealers are making money, who cares right?  Only the lowly collectors like myself who are the end repository for these things you are pawning off to make your livings.

Your beef is with CGC and not with people selling CGC graded books.

Attempting to make it otherwise is just a waste of time. 

Just now, VintageComics said:

I did. It didn't work. Do you suggest people should take on lifelong crusades for their 1st world problems and let more important things by the wayside? lol

Your beef is with CGC and not with people selling CGC graded books.

Attempting to make it otherwise is just a waste of time. 

First off, if that attitude of your's was how humans behaved, we'd literally still be in caves. "We tried lighting a fire, it doesn't work, we'll just have to do without."  "We asked the government to free slaves but they wouldn't so slavery it is." "We tried to take Normandy but it was too hard so we'll just let Germany have it."  Seriously, do you give up on everything so easy?

Yes, my beef is with CGC.  I'm not sure where you think I have made beef with anyone else, including YOU.  Any derisive comments I've made in your direction was only in response to your derisive comments.  Maybe I should be more mature than acting in a "tit for tat" behavior, but I'll be honest...I'm really not.

3 minutes ago, FSF said:

Seriously, do you give up on everything so easy?

Obviously not since I'm shadowboxing with you. lol

3 minutes ago, FSF said:

Yes, my beef is with CGC.  I'm not sure where you think I have made beef with anyone else, including YOU. 

You just did in your last quote to me. :makepoint:

9 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
  12 minutes ago, FSF said:

But since CGC is making money, Vintage Comics and most dealers are making money, who cares right?  Only the lowly collectors like myself who are the end repository for these things you are pawning off to make your livings.

2 hours ago, FSF said:

That's because the entire economy has been inflated like a bubble pushing asset values of everything to the sky.  It has been purely a money function recently across comics, cards, whatever.  We'll see how they hold up when the calamity hits and there is no easy money to be made by virtually anyone in comics.

yup. I've said it before but as I feel many don't bother with my posts what's the harm in saying it again: After a 30 year break in collecting I jumped back in hog-wiled. I was a Slab-Fool. But thank my lucky starts it only lasted about 6 months and than it moved onto raw copies for reading. No investing BS. Although I've got a hardy comic-as-investment book here and there. We'll see what happens when food & fuel become scarce. 

Anyways, there are so many great stories with great art. Encase them in plastic? But I've been wrong on just about everything so slab that mess. Now!

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Obviously not since I'm shadowboxing with you. lol

You just did in your last quote to me. :makepoint:

Obviously you are because you ARE indeed shadowboxing with me.  So unless you agree that Newton Rings are awesome, obviously you've given up and in fact are going out of your way to discourage those who would express their satisfaction.  That's the thing I really don't get in the myriad of illogicality that must be going through your head, which you've displayed numerous times in this one thread alone.  You agree that it is a problem, and yet you are going out of your way to defend the notion of keeping that problem going.

As for beefing with you, once again, I'm not going to take any derisive comments by anyone lying down.  YOU are the one that came into this thread and picked the argument. A stupid argument if you ask me since you state you agree with my comments about the issue (at least to the extent that it clearly exists).  YOU are the one that expressed fatigue from talking about this issue yet it's all you can do to stop talking about it, which you haven't been able to. 

42 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Anyways, there are so many great stories with great art. Encase them in plastic?

Because the primary reason CGC came onto the scene was to facilitate person to person internet transactions with a higher degree of certainty. You get a reasonably level playing field when it comes to grading and restoration check.

Most of my collection was raw and they were either books I bought raw or books I bought slabbed and cracked out. Nobody is forcing you to keep the book encapsulated.

44 minutes ago, FSF said:

So unless you agree that Newton Rings are awesome, obviously

Obviously, Captain.

So have all major auction houses, dealers and high volume collectors.

46 minutes ago, FSF said:

YOU are the one that came into this thread and picked the argument. A stupid argument if you ask me since you state you agree with my comments about the issue (at least to the extent that it clearly exists).  YOU are the one that expressed fatigue from talking about this issue yet it's all you can do to stop talking about it, which you haven't been able to. 

lol

I didn't pick an argument. I tried to educate you on the history of the topic because it wasn't a new one and had already been rehashed a zillion times (and continues to be an issue regularly on the chat forum). I was trying to help you understand CGC's stance on the topic.

You said that you'd read up on the history of the topic (something that wasn't obvious to me by the way you took on the topic) but stated things that seemed to show you hadn't (like the fact that CGC had already addressed newton rings) I started to doubt you'd read up on the topic. Who wouldn't?

If you took any of that as derision, a personal attack or a lack of logic that's up to you.

I also wished you good luck in your crusade. Seriously, good luck in making newton rings go away.  (shrug)

17 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Because the primary reason CGC came onto the scene was to facilitate person to person internet transactions with a higher degree of certainty. You get a reasonably level playing field when it comes to grading and restoration check.

Most of my collection was raw and they were either books I bought raw or books I bought slabbed and cracked out. Nobody is forcing you to keep the book encapsulated.

I hear ya. I have a really big key that I wouldn’t have bought unless CGC’d because I needed someone to check for restoration cause I don’t know jack. 

I don’t know how to say what I mean so I just gonna step back from the conversation. 

Edited by NoMan

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Obviously, Captain.

So have all major auction houses, dealers and high volume collectors.

lol

I didn't pick an argument. I tried to educate you on the history of the topic because it wasn't a new one and had already been rehashed a zillion times (and continues to be an issue regularly on the chat forum). I was trying to help you understand CGC's stance on the topic.

You said that you'd read up on the history of the topic (something that wasn't obvious to me by the way you took on the topic) but stated things that seemed to show you hadn't (like the fact that CGC had already addressed newton rings) I started to doubt you'd read up on the topic. Who wouldn't?

If you took any of that as derision, a personal attack or a lack of logic that's up to you.

I also wished you good luck in your crusade. Seriously, good luck in making newton rings go away.  (shrug)

You hardly tried to educate anyone other than to express that the topic had been beaten to death.  As for CGC's stance on this, please educate me in the form of press releases or whatever as to what they explicitly stated.  Because I don't recall you saying anything about what has been addressed other than to state or make references to the fact that the money is still flowing and submissions are up and people are buying regardless, the market has spoken, etc.  I have yet to read anything from you in this thread that provides any insight on the topic.  And once again, what is it exactly in your mind that the posts from two years ago, and since, have brought to definitive finality that this issue can't or shouldn't be discussed???  I mean just the way you talk of "crusade" in the obvious condescending manner that you are shows time and again your derisive and dismissive nature.

God forbid that I express public dissatisfaction on an issue that YOU also find to be "unacceptable" and actually expect for someone like you to actually support the position.  Because that would make no sense, right? 

26 minutes ago, FSF said:

You hardly tried to educate anyone other than to express that the topic had been beaten to death.  As for CGC's stance on this, please educate me in the form of press releases or whatever as to what they explicitly stated.  Because I don't recall you saying anything about what has been addressed other than to state or make references to the fact that the money is still flowing and submissions are up and people are buying regardless, the market has spoken, etc.  I have yet to read anything from you in this thread that provides any insight on the topic.  And once again, what is it exactly in your mind that the posts from two years ago, and since, have brought to definitive finality that this issue can't or shouldn't be discussed???  I mean just the way you talk of "crusade" in the obvious condescending manner that you are shows time and again your derisive and dismissive nature.

God forbid that I express public dissatisfaction on an issue that YOU also find to be "unacceptable" and actually expect for someone like you to actually support the position.  Because that would make no sense, right? 

Whatever makes you happy. :foryou:

Alright gents let’s get back on track. To someone with more knowledge than me on the issue why is it that only my 2 SA books have the rings but the GA books? I did notice that my SA books look to have some kind of heat seal outside the well that be the cause due to it pressing against the book?

I think Roy is right in that CGC is quite content with the current state of things so long as submissions continue unabated. The broader customer base hasn't voiced a dissatisfaction or slowed submissions to CGC. Has voldemort picked up customers as a result? We don't know. I would wager that they have some, but I would also wager that any such number is pretty small.