• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Jackie Robinson Fawcett Comics 1950

8 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

I agree. But it does look as though it's well on it's way to having pieces breaking off and the spine splitting even when handled carefully.

Yeah it does, I got the book significantly less than guide, so I'm happy with it.  I will probably get it graded to protect it. 

2 hours ago, Red Beard said:

Yeah it does, I got the book significantly less than guide, so I'm happy with it.  I will probably get it graded to protect it. 

That's what I was going to suggest. First, did you go through the pages to see if there were any autographs? Many times, autographs on the pages of sports periodicals have been permanently or temporarily overlooked! Always check through the pages for that, whether comics, programs, yearbooks, magazines, etc., any publication dedicated to sports or a sport.

9 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

That's what I was going to suggest. First, did you go through the pages to see if there were any autographs? Many times, autographs on the pages of sports periodicals have been permanently or temporarily overlooked! Always check through the pages for that, whether comics, programs, yearbooks, magazines, etc., any publication dedicated to sports or a sport.

I didn't think about that, but I will!  Thanks for the suggestion!

1 hour ago, Red Beard said:

I didn't think about that, but I will!  Thanks for the suggestion!

Not just this book, but any. So many valid and signatures of value have been missed, hidden within the pages of books. Many times, it'll be mistaken for a scribble or some kid, or an adult that wrote their name in it, or was just doodling. These "doodles" do get by folks and can turn out to be quite a valuable addition to the piece or make what would be a piece of little value into something spectacular. It's only in the last 20 years that signing books on the cover has become in vogue. People that don't count pages or look for page defects on books of any kind, and just gloss over them grading the covers alone are most susceptible to missing something that might have been there for 20, 40, 100 years or more without discovery! Going through a book's pages is like a treasure hunt. You may find something somebody buried a long time ago and you're the first to find.