• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Members with 0 posts are hidden
3 3

44 posts in this topic

• Administrator

For privacy reasons, members are now hidden on the chat boards until they make a post in the forums, journals, or galleries. They're hidden from the following areas:

1. Search
  2. Online users
  3. Profile pages
  4. Private messages

Members with 0 posts CAN send private messages to other members and receive replies, so existing PM conversations should be unaffected. But going forward, you won't be able to start a new PM conversation with a member until they post in one of those areas.

Thanks!
Scott

10 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

For privacy reasons, members are now hidden on the chat boards until they make a post in the forums, journals, or galleries. They're hidden from the following areas:

1. Search
  2. Online users
  3. Profile pages
  4. Private messages

Members with 0 posts CAN send private messages to other members and receive replies, so existing PM conversations should be unaffected. But going forward, you won't be able to start a new PM conversation with a member until they post in one of those areas.

Thanks!
Scott

Just to clarify, 0 post members can send messages but members with higher than 0 posts cannot message those with 0 posts until they make their first post?

10 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Just to clarify, 0 post members can send messages but members with higher than 0 posts cannot message those with 0 posts until they make their first post?

Arch advised some time back that members with zero posts are effectively invisible on the new boards. I was contacted a month a ago by pm from a member about pence stuff. I could not view their profile, even though I had a pm from them.

I think what the change is, is that existing PM's from zero posters will remain open, but zero posters from now on can't make new ones until they have posted and 'shown themselves'. This makes sense, as it stops trolls joining just to harass people by pm. 

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Arch advised some time back that members with zero posts are effectively invisible on the new boards. I was contacted a month a ago by pm from a member about pence stuff. I could not view their profile, even though I had a pm from them.

I think what the change is, is that existing PM's from zero posters will remain open, but zero posters from now on can't make new ones until they have posted and 'shown themselves'. This makes sense, as it stops trolls joining just to harass people by pm. 

Re-reading all this though, I may be wrong...

23 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Thinking about it, if a zero poster is invisible, how would you know they existed to pm them? The only way you would,  is if they had PM'd you first. Maybe that's the change. You can't pm them back in a new one,  just the old one? I'm puzzled. Or drunk. Or both!

Where's Ze Count when you need him? At least he talks clearly :grin:

I was actually just re-reading what I had written and it sounds like I'm making fun. lol
That was not my intent.

From my interpretation of what Scott posted, it seems that 0 post members are now invisible on the boards and cannot be seen or contacted by anyone. If they choose to PM someone, they can and still maintain their board invisibility while still being able to communicate via PM with those they choose.

It's nice, I guess, for those who wish to lurk around and remain unseen. There were several sections of the boards that were previously unviewable unless you were logged in. I'm assuming this takes care of that problem for those who wish to stay unseen.

3 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

I was actually just re-reading what I had written and it sounds like I'm making fun. lol
That was not my intent.

From my interpretation of what Scott posted, it seems that 0 post members are now invisible on the boards and cannot be seen or contacted by anyone. If they choose to PM someone, they can and still maintain their board invisibility while still being able to communicate via PM with those they choose.

It's nice, I guess, for those who wish to lurk around and remain unseen. There were several sections of the boards that were previously unviewable unless you were logged in. I'm assuming this takes care of that problem for those who wish to stay unseen.

Zero posters have always been invisible - Arch once told us that thousands of new people were joining every month. When I asked where they all were, he said that they were not visible until they posted.

I just sent a pm to my mystery zero pence poster using the thread he started and it worked.  I tried to create a new pm to them and it said 'this member cannot accept pms'

So it seems that's the change. 

• Administrator

Let me try to further clarify.

There are 3 different things you can do with private messages:

1. Start a new PM conversation
  2. Add someone to an existing PM conversation
  3. Reply to an existing PM conversation

Lets say your desired recipient has never posted anything. You'll be unable to do #1 or #2 with that person going forward, but #3 will still work. So if you already have an open conversation with someone who has never posted, you'll be able to continue it.

You would be able to do all 3 with people who have posted.

---

Now let's say YOU'RE a person who has never posted anything. The same rules apply; IE, you can do #1, #2, and #3 with people who have posted, but only #3 with people who have not posted.

3 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

Now let's say YOU'RE a person who has never posted anything......... but only #3 with people who have not posted.

How will they know they exist?

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:
4 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

Now let's say YOU'RE a person who has never posted anything......... but only #3 with people who have not posted.

....and them you?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Zero posters have always been invisible - Arch once told us that thousands of new people were joining every month. When I asked where they all were, he said that they were not visible until they posted.

This was true in many places, but zero posters were unintentionally still findable in private messages. That's what we've now locked down.

The logic I described above may seem a little complicated, but the goal is relatively simple and straightforward: Keep people private until they do something that implies they're OK with being public.

If I send you a private message, it's implied that I'm OK with receiving a response. So the general objective was to prevent zero posters from getting messages, but we made an exception for the 3rd scenario I described above.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It's possible that there are "zero posters" who have been chatting via PM for years, long before we were hiding any profiles. Unlikely, but possible ;)

2 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

It's possible that there are "zero posters" who have been chatting via PM for years, long before we were hiding any profiles. Unlikely, but possible ;)

7 minutes ago, Scott =) said:

This was true in many places, but zero posters were unintentionally still findable in private messages. That's what we've now locked down.

The logic I described above may seem a little complicated, but the goal is relatively simple and straightforward: Keep people private until they do something that implies they're OK with being public.

If I send you a private message, it's implied that I'm OK with receiving a response. So the general objective was to prevent zero posters from getting messages, but we made an exception for the 3rd scenario I described above.

Got ya. 

Was there not anything of higher importance to do this week then? :baiting:

Or maybe if someone has 0 posts that they have a use it or lose it status.  If something is not done with their account then they lose access or the account is deleted.  This would stop certain someone / people from stockpiling shill accounts. 

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Or maybe if someone has 0 posts that they have a use it or lose it status.  If something is not done with their account then they lose access or the account is deleted.  This would stop certain someone / people from stockpiling shill accounts. 

I think my early speculation for why the change was made was actually a better reason than the actual reasons given for the change (:

On 6/11/2018 at 7:19 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

5 minutes ago, DR.X said:

I just read this thread and need special counseling.

Tell that to a zero poster.