• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Framing your OA
3 3

136 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2020 at 9:32 AM, Subby1938 said:

i am chill very chill don’t need picture of half naked man which is clearly derogatory to relax.

Don't take it too seriously.  Given the subject of the thread, that picture might even be framed and hanging on the wall!

Anyway, I'm a to-each-his-own type guy.  I do have some things framed, but waaaay more unframed.  That's partly a matter of certain things not really lending themselves to being on permanent displayed (with wife/kids taken into consideration).  Plus I also always go the museum glass / archival matting route, which for many pieces means that the framing costs as much as (or more than) the piece itself.  And me being in the frame shop is an exercise in the paradox of choice.  It can drive me crazy comparing every combination/permutation of 20 different off-white/cream mats and an equal number of frames...

But I love seeing pictures of folks framed artwork (I LOVE the gray matting that Brian Peck used for the inked pieces on page 3).  So thanks for sharing yours - they look great and I'm sure they bring a smile every time you see them.

These are very cool and you have a lot of art so I can understand having to figure out a way to archive and enjoy these as there is no way to frame everything up . Very tastefully done I didn’t know about these types of storage options 

13 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Great discussion.  My OA storage and display preferences have evolved over the years trying to find the right balance of storage (for protection and accessibility) vs. framing (for display).  I've kept some custom-framed wall pieces (ie, patriotic star-studded frame for Captain America) on my walls but now primarily use "mat and mylar" for my core collection.  In my mind, this achieves the visual appeal of a framed piece with high levels of accessibility....like flipping through a longbox of comics!  Two standard sizes (regular and twice-up/DPS) keep my pieces uniform and orderly while the archival matboard provides rigidity for added protection.  Using inexpensive Gibson holders, I can create quick ad hoc displays for informal showings or when playing make-believe museum curator lol  During the COVID crisis, I've enjoyed time to look at and appreciate my art, and this storage/display method has helped considerably.

Here are a few pics:

Storage1.jpg.4606e35b0da114454ea08203402753ce.jpg

Storage2.jpg.fa1efbe47b804a25faf51b7c78d1fed3.jpg

Storage3.jpg.48074706ff7151a8ec7af84fb7a9f2f9.jpg

:x

46 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Great discussion.  My OA storage and display preferences have evolved over the years trying to find the right balance of storage (for protection and accessibility) vs. framing (for display).  I've kept some custom-framed wall pieces (ie, patriotic star-studded frame for Captain America) on my walls but now primarily use "mat and mylar" for my core collection.  In my mind, this achieves the visual appeal of a framed piece with high levels of accessibility....like flipping through a longbox of comics!  Two standard sizes (regular and twice-up/DPS) keep my pieces uniform and orderly while the archival matboard provides rigidity for added protection.  Using inexpensive Gibson holders, I can create quick ad hoc displays for informal showings or when playing make-believe museum curator lol  During the COVID crisis, I've enjoyed time to look at and appreciate my art, and this storage/display method has helped considerably.

Here are a few pics:

Thanks for sharing your method D!  I am blown away whenever I see your collection on CAF but to see that this is the way you preserve them!  Man, I’m ultra impressed!

Like many guys who have been on CAF for a long time, I know lots of collectors with multi million dollar collections and literally thousands of pieces of art who couldn’t possibly frame and display all of their pieces. I’ve got more than one friend with hundreds of covers :) They do frame some pieces and like you, they rotate them.  But they definitely have to store some. It’s not preference.  It’s practical.

I might borrow your method:). What size mylar and mat do you use?

1 hour ago, GreatEscape said:

Thanks P!  

Regular mat is 14x20 size (so I can fold over mylar top with tape, no open end) with opening size 10.5 x 15.75 (I like some margin notations, title/page etc). 4-Mil Mylar is 14.5 x 22.5 inches, available everywhere  

Twice-up mat is 18x24 with opening size 13 x 19.  4-Mil Mylar is 18.5 x 24.5 inches  DPS same board and mylar, no mat. 

Archival foam core boards and custom mats from matboardandmore.com

Lineco archival corners

EGerber mylar 1422R and 1824R

Total $8-10 per piece, bargain vs framing!

I love this method. I’m def stealing this idea. 

Thanks P!  

Regular mat is 14x20 size (so I can fold over mylar top with tape, no open end) with opening size 10.5 x 15.75 (I like some margin notations, title/page etc). 4-Mil Mylar is 14.5 x 22.5 inches, available everywhere  

Twice-up mat is 18x24 with opening size 13 x 19.  4-Mil Mylar is 18.5 x 24.5 inches  DPS same board and mylar, no mat. 

Archival foam core boards and custom mats from matboardandmore.com

Lineco archival corners

EGerber mylar 1422R and 1824R

Total $8-10 per piece, bargain vs framing!

Thanks!  I'm going to copy too!

17 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Here are a few pics:

This is fantastic! Add me to the list of those planning to steal this concept. I like how the size of the pieces are consistent on the outside dimensions with the black border varied to account for different sized pieces of art. The uniform sizing looks great and I am sure displays very well. Do you put any of this on the wall? If so - how to you hang? Any pics of DPS done up like this? And finally ... did you do this for that new Philippe Druillet piece in your collection?  

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

This is fantastic! Add me to the list of those planning to steal this concept. I like how the size of the pieces are consistent on the outside dimensions with the black border varied to account for different sized pieces of art. The uniform sizing looks great and I am sure displays very well. Do you put any of this on the wall? If so - how to you hang? Any pics of DPS done up like this? And finally ... did you do this for that new Philippe Druillet piece in your collection?  

Jade--  Great idea, I guess we can evolve this together.   Plastic hanging tabs attached to the back of each piece would allow wall hanging on standard hooks and let's you switch out pieces very easily!  When not used, the clear tabs stay flush on back of pieces and won't interfere with storage.

Lots of clear hanging tabs available but open to other suggestions.

Hangtab3.thumb.JPG.bf1cb9eadedc3346231fda7fcf762f71.JPG

I’m assuming you are using the archival Conservation Crescent matboard option from that site? The first matboard option they list isn’t going to be acid free, and will likely cause issues down the line. 

Sure, I'll try to post step-by-step pics tonight but here's my basic process (About 3 min end-to-end).

1.  Place the matboard on flat surface and position the artwork FACE UP in the approximate center

2.  Overlay the mat on top and adjust the artwork underneath so you get optimal view in mat opening.  Note: I lift right side of mat and adjust the artwork so the margins line up square to mat opening with flexibility to image size, margin notes, signatures etc)

3.  Place a clean weight (I use a beanbag) on top of the art and carefully lift mat (or turn 90 degrees on art) so you can access corners

4.  Use adhesive corners (I use Lineco 1.25" clear) to secure artwork to mat, just like framers do.  I usually start with a diagonal pair (top left and bottom right) which keeps artwork in place without my beanbag when doing the other pair.  Works even if one or more corners are cut, for extreme cases just use best 2 corners.

5.  Gently place mat on artwork, align corners of matboard and mat and  confirm the view through mat opening is what you want.  Adjust corners (step 4) if needed, you might have to adjust 2 or all four to keep things tight.  Note: Peel off corners slowly to reposition, if too fast you can pull off some board material (so you'll need to use a new corner). I use white matboard so any "pull" won't be as visible compared to using a black matboard.  I've changed out several pieces and after some time (say 3 months), its harder to peel off corners perfectly clean.  Regardless, corners are usually not visible through the mat opening, in some cases you might see part of the corner (which is clear anyway). 

6. Place the layered "sandwich" next to the mylar opening (which is 1/2 wider than the matbooard and mat.  I place one corner in then carefully fit the other corner into the mylar top,  Once in, I push the whole sandwich FACE-UP into the mylar to the bottom (and face-up you can avoid the mylar impacting any stats), leaving 2.5 inch top.  I flatten the mylar to remove excess air then flip the whole thing over FACE DOWN and flatter again.  Once in, the sandwich is fairly secure in the mylar.

7.  Here's the most fun part or me. Turn FACE UP and again make sure everything looks exactly as you want, sometimes I need to pull out the sandwich slightly to adjust the mat position if it shifted relative to matboard.  I put a 6-inch piece of clear packaging tape sticky-side down on the mylar edge (50% overhang) then flip over FACE DOWN.  I turn the thing 180 degrees so I'm grabbing the the TOP of the mylar (and helps to have a heavy book or something against the BOTTOM end), fold over the top edge to the back and make it tight (nice soft "crunch" sound of mylar folding) then flatten the tape on the back.  The folded top closes the end (for protection) and gives a nice cushy tactile feel for your fingers as you flip through your art.  Turn it back over and enjoy!

Hope this helps!  

Big thanks for sharing the pics and process for all this!  It's a very snazzy way to have everything accessible. 

On 6/10/2020 at 4:56 PM, GreatEscape said:

Forgot to mention my $20 large laundry hamper (Target) holds 40 pieces = portability!   I can watch TV with my kids...and enjoy some art (during commercials of course) (thumbsu

Hamper2.thumb.jpg.1a45315fcd1dfbc976d89ec172ce0742.jpg

Dino, you have it all figured out! (thumbsu