• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Framing your OA
3 3

136 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Here are step-by-step process pics for my Barbie #63 cover--  lol, I needed a piece not already framed or in mylar!  lol  Besides, I think this method makes any piece look better...

216761853_Step1.jpg.9616a4f019ed9ba35b1b0c0e20fc82d7.jpg

1791668106_Step2.thumb.jpg.e4006abf8beebcff084318bb3df208b1.jpg

2107114979_Step3.thumb.jpg.e5d1a3afa2030722ea2969d7868681a9.jpg

Excellent! This is so helpful and appreciated!

Have you done this with anything oversized? DPS?

33 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Here are step-by-step process pics for my Barbie #63 cover--  lol, I needed a piece not already framed or in mylar!  lol  Besides, I think this method makes any piece look better...

216761853_Step1.jpg.9616a4f019ed9ba35b1b0c0e20fc82d7.jpg

1791668106_Step2.thumb.jpg.e4006abf8beebcff084318bb3df208b1.jpg

2107114979_Step3.thumb.jpg.e5d1a3afa2030722ea2969d7868681a9.jpg

(thumbsu can't wait to try 

I do something similar to the@Great Escape method.

But I can’t get the large Mylar bags here in the UK. So, I have to use just regular transparent plastic sheet to protect the art.

The only thing I do slightly different is that I cut the outer border to the size of off-the-shelf photo frames. This way I can easily switch the art in the frame for my rotating home exhibition.

D1BB4EAA-28F5-489E-B1C0-D6158DB3E62A.thumb.jpeg.c7b6382a1ef023539ddd293b12c1b393.jpeg

Edited by Skizz

@GreatEscape @Skizz

Can either/both of you guys elaborate a bit on how you size the viewing window of your mat?  Do you buy it pre-cut or do you do you cut it yourself?  If you do it yourself, what do you use?

edit: This is mostly for pieces that aren't a standard OA size.

Edited by Turtle

When I frame it depends on size of the piece . Standard commissions are awkward to frame such as 11 x 17” . Most framers will recommend 2-2.5” mattes ( that’s width ) I def don’t use that thickness on 11 x 17. You have also have to take into account where artists signatures are. On a few of my Spiderman pieces I covered them up because it would have had an odd thicker lower edge . 

I only use black frames and acid free mattes but every piece is different from one beside it. In my photo I had one odd ball Namor Vs Torch where I used white matte that had aqua core meaning when you cut it it’s aqua coloured inside . This was done because Namor’s trident and the Torches flame extended past border of main image I felt a black outer matte would have really made image feel small.

I have a lot of fun framing my art . I buy what I can afford but I def don’t cheap out on framing . Every piece is custom cut and hand picked by me to fit with my group of art. I have odd sizes from 9 x 12” to 11 x 17” to 10” x 14” to 18” x 24”. I lay it out on table with framer we mix and match until I’m happy . 

Every frame is hand picked , only use art grade museum UV glass and mattes are generally all black with either white or black core but I also add accent coloured matte to bring out something from the art . 

Edited by Subby1938

19 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Over the weekend, art collector Mel H paid a visit from Massachusetts for an impromptu meet-up and sharing/talking art.  Great guy, long-time collector...Mel showed me some impressive Frazetta, BWS and James St John pieces.  Mel is very passionate about The Studio artists (BWS and Wrightson in particular) and "fine art" segment of our hobby....and made a deal for my BWS Poetry painting in classic pre-Raphaelite style.  Before he left, I pulled out my Wrightson Frankenstein plate...he's never seen one up close and must have stared 10 minutes without blinking!  Anyway, a fun Art Day amidst this crisis...

1080121868_MelHiggins.thumb.jpeg.83e52ae55f0020eca98dec0a6fc570f4.jpeg

Speaking of Frazetta, I did a creative work-around for my Johnny Comet strip, using an exacto knife to extend the mat opening.  I think it looks great and now "fits" with other pieces...thoughts?

871584449_Frazetta-JohnnyComet.thumb.jpeg.95acf69b5e7f200587bd6bfde04b314d.jpeg

agreed - I like the cut - great idea! I'll be up for an impromptu visit shortly ;)

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

@GreatEscape @Skizz

Can either/both of you guys elaborate a bit on how you size the viewing window of your mat?  Do you buy it pre-cut or do you do you cut it yourself?  If you do it yourself, what do you use?

edit: This is mostly for pieces that aren't a standard OA size.

Hey Turtle,

My online source lets me specify the overall mat size and the opening size...plus you can customize stuff like colors, rounded corners and "bottom weighting" (ie, a slightly larger bottom margin is believed to improve aesthetics (according to a museum curator friend). One issue is that mats are much cheaper in larger quantities, so one-off mat orders will cost 5-6x more per piece than what I pay for 25 identical mats.  That's why I standardize with two sizes (regular and twice-up) and only this year added a third smaller size (9x12 opening for TMNT-size art and sketches that fits in standard 12x18 mylar.  

Ordering one-off mats let you perfectly customize size, cuts, fabric and colors to each piece of art, but you'll have to be comfortable with different sized mylars and/or frames.    Hope this helps (thumbsu

Edited by GreatEscape

9 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Over the weekend, art collector Mel H paid a visit from Massachusetts for an impromptu meet-up and sharing/talking art.  Great guy, long-time collector...Mel showed me some impressive Frazetta, BWS and James St John pieces.  Mel is very passionate about The Studio artists (BWS and Wrightson in particular) and "fine art" segment of our hobby....and made a deal for my BWS Poetry painting in classic pre-Raphaelite style.  Before he left, I pulled out my Wrightson Frankenstein plate...he's never seen one up close and must have stared 10 minutes without blinking!  Anyway, a fun Art Day amidst this crisis...

1080121868_MelHiggins.thumb.jpeg.83e52ae55f0020eca98dec0a6fc570f4.jpeg

Speaking of Frazetta, I did a creative work-around for my Johnny Comet strip, using an exacto knife to extend the mat opening.  I think it looks great and now "fits" with other pieces...thoughts?

871584449_Frazetta-JohnnyComet.thumb.jpeg.95acf69b5e7f200587bd6bfde04b314d.jpeg

Dino, I think you can open a side business to mat or frame art and be very successful :grin: 

On 6/16/2020 at 1:33 PM, GreatEscape said:

Hey Turtle,

My online source lets me specify the overall mat size and the opening size...plus you can customize stuff like colors, rounded corners and "bottom weighting" (ie, a slightly larger bottom margin is believed to improve aesthetics (according to a museum curator friend). One issue is that mats are much cheaper in larger quantities, so one-off mat orders will cost 5-6x more per piece than what I pay for 25 identical mats.  That's why I standardize with two sizes (regular and twice-up) and only this year added a third smaller size (9x12 opening for TMNT-size art and sketches that fits in standard 12x18 mylar.  

Ordering one-off mats let you perfectly customize size, cuts, fabric and colors to each piece of art, but you'll have to be comfortable with different sized mylars and/or frames.    Hope this helps (thumbsu

Awesome information.  Thank you! (worship)

Is there any way to display art safely and attractively that doesn’t involve framing?

I had a couple of Mondo prints professionally framed with museum glass and it ran me about $300 each. 

I have a piece of comic art that I bought on a whim a few years ago. Thought it would be cool to own at least one piece of OA but didn’t want to go heavy into it so only spent about $40 on it. 

I’d now like to display it but based on what the art is worth I really don’t want to plunk $200+ on getting it framed. 

It would be nice to matte it and set it on an easel on top of my bookshelf.  But at the same time I would like to protect the art. 

Any suggestions for displaying cheap stuff?