• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Framing your OA
3 3

136 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2020 at 4:08 AM, TheGrayGhost said:

I mostly agree. I’m the same way. Art is meant to be displayed like museums. They are works of art. Think storing them in portfolios takes the fun out of it. 
dont see the point of them sitting in boxes for months and years when they can be enjoyed by someone else. If a piece of my collection is taken off my art wall and stays off for a period of time, then I prefer selling it rather than storing it  

I don't display much art primarily due to raw volume. Furthermore, displaying it on walls prevents easy comparison and contrast unless they are posted next to each other.  Besides, I really do not want my living space decorated with around 100 Phantom Strangers and other assorted miscreants. Visitors might think I need a bunk bed at Happy Acres or electro-shock therapy. Maybe they are right.

I like to store them in Itoya's, for the most part, and then take them out every once in a while and place them, while in top loaders, around my home office or bedroom. I can then position them as I see fit, e.g., a run of splashes, various Chaykin pieces, etc.

17 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

That’s nice . I don’t think that’s what art is for . It’s meant to be out . I could care less about what visitors think as well. 

I do enjoy it. I just don’t want it all framed.

7 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I do enjoy it. I just don’t want it all framed.

I totally understand a space that would look cluttered . In my case I knew I had to have a game plan on what and where I would display my fav stuff tastefully. I kept my theme uniform and framed most with similar themes so it looked cohesive and clean yet displayed my vision . It’s still ongoing because the framing gets costly and adds zero value to my art but really does the pieces justice and protects them for me. 

On 5/31/2020 at 11:16 AM, Subby1938 said:

So my two cents on framing .... I love my artwork . So much so whatever I buy I frame because the point of collecting my fav artists is to enjoy them everyday up on my walls. I think it’s completely irrelevant to put stuff in portfolios and boxes tucked away and if you do that you shouldn’t collect art it’s called hoarding .

Keeping art in portfolios is not hoarding. If any art that isn't on a wall is irrelevant, the vast majority of comic art would be considered irrelevant which is clearly not true. Your statement reads as if you believe this to be a universal truth ... if this is just your opinion for your own collection, great. 

Nice wall displays!

3 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

Keeping art in portfolios is not hoarding. If any art that isn't on a wall is irrelevant, the vast majority of comic art would be considered irrelevant which is clearly not true. Your statement reads as if you believe this to be a universal truth ... if this is just your opinion for your own collection, great. 

Nice wall displays

Edited by Subby1938

Not sure why you think saving art in folders is relevant ! It’s not art inside a portfolio . I’m pretty sure most of us are not museum curators so buying art to store in folders you could do better with medium . 

it’s like buying music and not listening to it . That’s an art form as well 

Edited by Subby1938

I just want to enjoy them . Life is too short for putting things away lol. I’ve been doing that since my childhood days I said to myself nows the time . I’m in my mid 40s when will I be able to sit and smile looking at these beauties or show them off to those interested to ask. I enjoy that . I get to talk about the stories that went with them and share that with someone that may pass it along and so forth . 

it keeps the art alive and fresh to me . My collecting methods work for me and what I try to do . Maybe it’s not for everyone . I’ll get more finished pictures of all the art it should soon be ready for a proper room tour ....

Do what makes you (and anyone you may live with) happy. I went wild framing when I started collecting. I love my art and I honestly NEVER thought I would run out of wall space. I wrote the post below previously - Now, I have a long gallery on the kids’ floor that works well with color, and mostly simple black for everything else. But there is lots of stuff in portfolios, so I made sure I have a space to properly enjoy those portfolios. In terms of enjoying and comparing art (as someone mentioned earlier) having the art in a portfolio means you can pull it out, study it, hold it. Go ahead and touch it if you like. Just wash your hands and don’t have open beverages around. I hope @Reba shares some pictures of her setup - it’s awesome and definitely something I will emulate in the next house. 

Finally, here’s an insane over-share so don’t tell my wife, but as we’re selling our house I happen to have a digital walk through with all the framed (and hung) art so, if you like house hunters, take a look, you perverts! 

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=i6Ch2DChr9c

BF263188-7E84-4DAD-A097-A1D1B2499DD2.jpeg

142E21BF-ACF6-4FCE-98ED-C90A8F34683D.jpeg

1AB438C0-E9A0-427D-A28B-613C713A7AA0.jpeg

Edited by dichotomy

Metal frames are extremely versatile and easy to swap around art, and I wish I had started using museum glass from the start, but it is a significant expense, and very daunting for bigger pieces (like the Bill S Superman), but I regret it every time. Glare free anti UV plexi is MUCH cheaper and maybe I’ll swap out the glass for that on some pieces later. 

1 hour ago, dichotomy said:

Do what makes you (and anyone you may live with) happy. I went wild framing when I started collecting. I love my art and I honestly NEVER thought I would run out of wall space. I wrote the post below previously - Now, I have a long gallery on the kids’ floor that works well with color, and mostly simple black for everything else. But there is lots of stuff in portfolios, so I made sure I have a space to properly enjoy those portfolios. In terms of enjoying and comparing art (as someone mentioned earlier) having the art in a portfolio means you can pull it out, study it, hold it. Go ahead and touch it if you like. Just wash your hands and don’t have open beverages around. I hope @Reba shares some pictures of her setup - it’s awesome and definitely something I will emulate in the next house. 

Finally, here’s an insane over-share so don’t tell my wife, but as we’re selling our house I happen to have a digital walk through with all the framed (and hung) art so, if you like house hunters, take a look, you perverts! 

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=i6Ch2DChr9c

Great art, great looking home. Good luck with the sale!

14 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Not sure why you think saving art in folders is relevant ! It’s not art inside a portfolio . I’m pretty sure most of us are not museum curators so buying art to store in folders you could do better with medium . 

it’s like buying music and not listening to it . That’s an art form as well 

We will have to agree to disagree. Art in a portfolio is art. Your music analogy doesn't hold water. Do you have all your music playing in your home 24x7? Or do you have a lot of music stored? Just because art is in a portfolio, doesn't make it irrelevant. That's a silly notion. 

14 hours ago, Infamouspure22 said:

Hi guys!  Can we just say "to each their own"?

If you like to display your art, that's great!  There can be a myriad of reasons why some collectors keep their art in portfolios and none of them diminish their art as long as they look at them :)

We are all art collectors here.  Collectors like to protect their collections.  Like baseball cards that are boxed or comic books that are boxed.  It's ok to frame or not to frame.  

I own one piece of art that I keep in a frame.  Thick UV protected museum glass.  But I have other art pieces that are either in a portfolio or in some kind of sleeves for their protection.  I look at these from time to time and I do enjoy them.  They're just not framed or displayed.  But they are definitely art!

In my opinion, there is no right or wrong here.  You are also entitled to your opinion.  But I don't think there's anything negative about keeping art in a portfolio or kept safely anywhere else.

Here's my framed art: First appearance of Daredevil.  D022692D-7940-455E-8C6E-93ADB6EEBF98.thumb.jpeg.4b1a7f6afcebcac9bfd982a221c7d537.jpeg

And one of my pieces of unframed art:  Byrne Bullpen Bulletins

3589F6A3-44E5-4A10-8528-6F699533CD30.thumb.jpeg.3be0e5f4d750d3d1b58d1e53939dae05.jpeg

and this Ramos ASM 648 cover (his first cover on the title) not framed:

A1B996DB-7556-49AB-8AB9-52584D1D9AC3.thumb.jpeg.02856805e9150d13c7c7fa753729fcdf.jpeg

These are all pieces of art, no? :)

Btw Subby your wall displays are very cool!  I may try to do something like that some day.

P

Agreed. I love your irrelevant art!