• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics Collectors Convention//July 15th, 2018//Los Angeles, CA
1 1

59 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2018 at 2:32 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Just take the 405 and get off like you're heading to LAX.

How much is parking?

Over night parking is $24 if one is staying at least 1 night at Hilton LAX comicon rate. Day time parking is cheaper.

11 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Over night parking is $24 if one is staying at least 1 night at Hilton LAX comicon rate. Day time parking is cheaper.

I live 20 miles away from LAX, so I wouldn't be staying overnight. ;)

I think John's idea for this type of con, is great, if a lot of collectors show up AND BUY COMICS! more dealers will participate and maybe John will expand it with more days.  Bunky's were invited but between prepping in No Cal and So Cal, for the SD "media" event, could not find the time to make both happen.

I would love to do this type of show, if it grows and sustains real deal collectors that buy! and drop SD forever,

Just saying,

Bri

Just spent the day at the show. Really enjoyed it. I didn't check out the original art room. But the comic dealer room was pretty sweet. Just a room full of solid dealers with a lot of great books.

Good clean venue, easy access. It had an old school vibe, but in the best possible way. 

I hope it becomes a regular thing and grows a bit. (But not too much.)

2 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

Just spent the day at the show. Really enjoyed it. I didn't check out the original art room. But the comic dealer room was pretty sweet. Just a room full of solid dealers with a lot of great books.

Good clean venue, easy access. It had an old school vibe, but in the best possible way. 

May have to go to this one next year.

3 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

Was there too. Agree with GT. 

Great show for vintage collectors. Hope this becomes an annual event. Stopped going to SD years ago and this was a great alternative. 

The show was just OK today, IMHO. Lots of quality dealers, lots of books. Lots of high prices too, but to be fair the dealers are paying increased rates for quality material.

I expected attendance to be higher - in the later afternoon the show was dead - but that's OK as this is the first year, and word should spread.

The LAX Hilton is a convenient location, but parking, lack of A/C at times, and poor lighting need to be addressed for next year's show (already scheduled for July 14th).

Got to chat with numerous boardies, and had fun even if my purchases were less than expected.

Thanks to those who organized the event!

I was surprised at how the show had cleared out by early afternoon,  but that was the time when I was able to work out two trades to fill many holes in Four Color run.  I bunch from Terry, but mostly mid to low grade, and a couple of very sweet books from harley

The heat got to be a problem for me, but the ready supply of cold water in the hallway helped.

As a Los Angelino, I certainly plan on attending next year, and I really cannot imagine attending SD ever again.

recognized and talked to a number of the dealers,  but not to any individual boardie

50 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

The show was just OK today, IMHO. Lots of quality dealers, lots of books. Lots of high prices too, but to be fair the dealers are paying increased rates for quality material.

I expected attendance to be higher - in the later afternoon the show was dead - but that's OK as this is the first year, and word should spread.

The LAX Hilton is a convenient location, but parking, lack of A/C at times, and poor lighting need to be addressed for next year's show (already scheduled for July 14th).

Got to chat with numerous boardies, and had fun even if my purchases were less than expected.

Thanks to those who organized the event!

Good to see you Steve. Yeah, lighting was a problem. I parked next door with no problem except for trying to find my car at the end. I talked to John for a while. He was real receptive to my comments. He couldn't have made much if any money on it. Lowest table rates I’ve seen in a long time and $20 admission. 

I bought quite a bit but didn’t see anything I went specifically to find. To be honest, I didn’t expect to. The stuff I’m looking for is pretty scarce and high demand. 

Was very impressed with the dealer line up. The only way to get that many quality dealers at a small show like this was the timing and timing was perfect. I won’t miss SDCC at all except for the vibe and social part.

I did a report with pics over in GA in “Son of my 50 Year Junk Obsecession” if anybody is interested.

5 hours ago, Ghost Town said:

Really enjoyed it. I didn't check out the original art room. But the comic dealer room was pretty sweet. Just a room full of solid dealers with a lot of great books.

I don't think they hit their goal of 1,000 paid attendees. Excellent comic selection with wide variety. Saw 3 copies of a scarce Fox Giant that I had never seen before at 2 different dealers tables and 1 of them was in the original art section where there were at least 4 Hulk #180s, 3 hulk #182s, Avengers 1 fine, Avengers 4 raw, Iron Man #1 raw. I picked a few Howard Keltner fanzine mags, Frazetta White Indian zine, book about UGs and history of comics next to Big Ron. My buddy grabbed a decent early oversize b/w Phantom Feature Book (don't think it was the 1st app. due to price point but still scarce). Nice mix of 1/2 price SA, BA including ASM, FF, X-men, lots of slower selling Adv, Action, Superman comics and some decent selling DC 80 Pg Giants, Batman, Detects, Neal Adams Strange Adv's (Deadman), Aquaman by Neal Adams. Saw a Detect #33 origin for a modest $225k.

The artists and publishers (of Red Nails oversize by BWS, Doc Dave Winiewicz's Frazetta hardcover catalog had me drooling over it ($100). Saw OA to Steranko's double page splash from Capt America circa #111: mind blowing, framed. 

52 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, lighting was a problem. I parked next door with no problem except for trying to find my car at the end.  Lowest table rates I’ve seen in a long time and $20 admission. 

I bought quite a bit but didn’t see anything I went specifically to find. To be honest, I didn’t expect to. The stuff I’m looking for is pretty scarce and high demand. 

Was very impressed with the dealer line up. The only way to get that many quality dealers at a small show like this was the timing and timing was perfect. I won’t miss SDCC at all 

+1. As I am aged at over 50, the lack of lighting in the corner of the hall made it tough to dig thru boxes and probably reduced that vendor's sales, unfortunately. 

I parked on the Sat. night, and barely got a spot in the basement 5th floor of 6 parking. Even Sunday night parking at Hilton LAX was full so only the folks/guests who had reserved could find a parking spot on the 5th level. The gentleman handing out the wrist bands was nice enough to offer me 2 discounted parking passes. I did not realize it was a 2 step process to exit the parking lot. First insert the paper pass u entered the Hilton LAX lot with then (2) insert your discounted ($17) pass. Bit confusing to a Canuck with all this hi-tech parking in/out.

Frank Cho was happy to sign any graphic novel one brought to him. Mr and Mrs Wendy Pini had some great stories of exclusive direct distribution of Elfquest. Mr and Mrs Gerhard were glad to meet some Cerebus fans. Mark Schultz did not have a new SDCC sketchbook but did bring at least 2 portfolios of his Xenozoic, Kull and Dark Horse finished pencil work: outstanding per normal. Overwhelming selection of top OA on walls and items to be auctioned off that may have been in portfolios or framed. Great first effort Ultimate/Torpedo con. Thank you !