• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics Collectors Convention//July 15th, 2018//Los Angeles, CA
1 1

59 posts in this topic

It was a great one day show that felt like you were back in a 1980s hotel con. The lighting was poor around the back walls of the show room. You needed a flashlight at SuperWorld, Metro, and Bob Storms booths. It was all comics and OA (two separate rooms) and serious buyers. No issues bumping into cosplayers. There was only one media presence, and that was for Carbo and Anthony’s weekly Selling Heroes show.  It was great to see Loboagain, Pacific Rim Lance, Miller, CW, Danielle, Roy, Sacentaur, ciorac and several others. Special thanks to John D. of Torpedo comics for putting this together. 

Edited by Primetime

2 hours ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

Thanks for the report!

It was a well balanced vintage comic and OA show. There was lots to see and do in L.A. so I hope more families will stay all weekend next year. Cosplay and crowds along Hollywood Blvd where I unfortunately blew a tire on day 1 of a car rental.

Have to have patience to dig thru all those portfolios and wall racks of OA. Recent Teen Titans pin-up by Nick Cardy:

Z1KoYBb.jpg

Since others have posted many wall pics already, I will post about fun tourist sites upon my 2nd visit to LAX. Huntington Library, excellent museums, and Gardens had a structure to hear sounds from USA satellites in outer space:

hxOPbbi.jpg

About a mile away was a better than expected L.A. County Museum. Saw Roman antiquities but Japan exhibit closed for renovations. Foyer has framed movie posters:

mJRu2Cs.jpg

About 10 Picassos and a superb Kandinsky pre-Geometric period that moved me:

giKfKiN.jpg

If one does not like to drive, across street from L.A.C. Museum (also had 3D comics and 3D movie room) is superb Peterson Auto (Motor Trend mag) museum for $16 admission to see cars from 2 Fast, 2 Furious and Back to Future plus Dark Knight motorcyle:

sOgcEZI.jpg

Some Torpedo vendors found the inaugural show slow for retail sales but this is not the end for Ultimate/Torpedo con, just the beginning of a new annual show. Thanks for all your hard work to organize this con, as it takes about the same promotional energy to run a 2 day show!

6Zh7CTu.jpg

7 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

I drove along the coast to visit Venice/Muscle beach, Santa Monica Pier, and Long Beach. Many fine attractions like ferris wheels and mermaids:

EArxgW7.jpg

Glad you got to see the sights of LA as well as a great comic show. The Peterson Auto Museum is off the hook if you are a car guy. Lots of places as an Angeleno, I take for granted. Now where were these mermaids you speak of?  hm

26 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Glad you got to see the sights of LA.  Lots of places as an Angeleno, I take for granted. Now where were these mermaids you speak of?  hm

Mermaids were near the pier that stretched out from Long Beach. I also visited Griffith's Observatory where Charlie's Angels part 2 was filmed with Demi Moore jumping off 1 level to escape into her Lamborghini Countach all the while looking stylish ^^ in her high heels.

On 7/15/2018 at 11:07 PM, sacentaur said:

The show was just OK today, IMHO. Lots of quality dealers, lots of books. Lots of high prices too, but to be fair the dealers are paying increased rates for quality material.

I expected attendance to be higher - in the later afternoon the show was dead - but that's OK as this is the first year, and word should spread.

The LAX Hilton is a convenient location, but parking, lack of A/C at times, and poor lighting need to be addressed for next year's show (already scheduled for July 14th).

Got to chat with numerous boardies, and had fun even if my purchases were less than expected.

Thanks to those who organized the event!

I was just checking to see if a date for next year had been posted yet. Thanks! Any idea if there will be a change in venue?

Edited by mysterio

18 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I was just checking to see if a date for next year had been posted yet. Any idea if there will be a change in venue?

Sunday July 14, 2019, I believe. Still at Hilton LAX but I hope they rent the halls on the 2nd floor where the air is fresher than basement air.

Just now, aardvark88 said:

Sunday July 14, 2019, I believe. Still at Hilton LAX but I hope they rent the halls on the 2nd floor where the air is fresher than basement air.

Thanks. I’m hoping I’ll have enough miles to see about flying out, maybe even just for the day. 

I'm already planning to go to this show next year. Do hope they move it upstairs out of the basement to better lighting. I will say it was nice being able to walk around pretty freely and not having to fight through crowds stopping for photo ops.

The only thing I can say is that for next years show, would be nice to see if we could arrange for a boardie meet up or dinner say after the show? There were probably quite a few of us in that room who didn't know each other in person. Heck, I spent considerable  time shopping next to Robot Man, exchanging comments on comics we found, and didn't know it until I read his posts later that day when I was back in my hotel room.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to it and have it my calendar already.