• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting back on collecting after 15 year absence, new collecting bubble?

51 posts in this topic

On 6/16/2018 at 7:56 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I've found that mostly the boards here aren't good for discussing the stories themselves, but more focused on the hobby. Kinda makes sense considering it's the board of a company that makes reading your book impossible. Gotta search out those boards elsewhere

Slabbing doesn't make reading your books impossible. 

Slabs can be opened. 

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Don't be a pedant. You know what I mean.

Don't say things that aren't true, and I won't need to be a pedant.

I may know what you mean, but I am not the only one who reads what you write. There are far too many people who think that slabs are sacrosanct and can and should never be opened, and that is a serious flaw in how people treat slabs. 

Slabs can be opened. It's perfectly ok.

19 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I may know what you mean, but I am not the only one who reads what you write. There are far too many people who think that slabs are sacrosanct and can and should never be opened, and that is a serious flaw in how people treat slabs. 

Yes, but if it's the goal to read a comic story, there are far more cost-effective ways to do so, considering most things that are slab-worthy are popular enough to have been made available digitally by now. I doubt that many, is any, people are buying slabs for the purpose of reading the physical copy of the book they are purchasing. And I'm sure you're aware of that, so you're intentionally being difficult.

51 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Yes, but if it's the goal to read a comic story, there are far more cost-effective ways to do so, considering most things that are slab-worthy are popular enough to have been made available digitally by now. I doubt that many, is any, people are buying slabs for the purpose of reading the physical copy of the book they are purchasing. And I'm sure you're aware of that, so you're intentionally being difficult.

No, I'm intentionally dispelling a persistent mindset that can be detrimental to the market.

As far as "there are far more cost-effective ways to do so", there are many advantages to reading comics in their original format that cannot be obtained from digital "copies." And yes, there are people who buy slabs for the purpose of looking at them outside of the slab. There are more reasons to crack a slab than just to read the book, though that's certainly paramount among them.

Are we arguing just to argue, yet...? Just want to make sure what phase we're in.

21 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No, I'm intentionally dispelling a persistent mindset that can be detrimental to the market.

As far as "there are far more cost-effective ways to do so", there are many advantages to reading comics in their original format that cannot be obtained from digital "copies." And yes, there are people who buy slabs for the purpose of looking at them outside of the slab. There are more reasons to crack a slab than just to read the book, though that's certainly paramount among them.

Are we arguing just to argue, yet...? Just want to make sure what phase we're in.

You're being a pedant. The percentage of people that slab books or buy slabs that will crack them to read is insignificant. Nickpicking "impossible" is arguing just to argue.

15 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

You're being a pedant. The percentage of people that slab books or buy slabs that will crack them to read is insignificant. Nickpicking "impossible" is arguing just to argue.

That is your opinion. Again: it is not impossible to read a book that is in a slab. Solution: open the slab.

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No there aren't.

See, it's really easy to just say things with no way to ever back it up.

11 hours ago, ygogolak said:

No there aren't.

Yes, there are.

Now that you've joined in the contention fray....again....are we going to get this thread locked?

To the issue: do you dispute that there are people who think slabs are sacrosanct, and can't be opened? Do you deny that? 

Because those people have posted here. In fact, some of the very people reading this think that. So do a good chunk...if not a majority...of the "people" posting on the CBCS forum.

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes, there are.

Now that you've joined in the contention fray....again....are we going to get this thread locked?

To the issue: do you dispute that there are people who think slabs are sacrosanct, and can't be opened? Do you deny that? 

Because those people have posted here. In fact, some of the very people reading this think that. So do a good chunk...if not a majority...of the "people" posting on the CBCS forum.

Thank you for proving my point for me regarding your own comment. :roflmao: