• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting back on collecting after 15 year absence, new collecting bubble?

51 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 5:44 AM, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Nothing like a variant with 50 different covers, it's right up there with rebooting a series back to number 1 

I don't think this is going to help.  I just don't think people are into FF.  It wasn't even that bad at the end, but no one was reading it.  I enjoyed hickman's stuff mostly.  People just don't connect with it anymore.  Like Captain America, same thing.  We're just past the innovative stories that can be told to make it a SUPER HIT COMIC.   I'm not saying they shouldn't keep it going, but the million variant treatment doesn't seem like a great idea. 

I think they should have done a little more in the interim with the characters, as in getting some individual titles to draw some attention.  Like a Reed vs Evil Reed comic (yes I know secret wars was like this, but like on a much smaller level).  Or a 'mom and kids' comic with Sue and the kids.  Build some interest, try some stuff out.  I liked Johnny on Inhumans and Thing with the GOTG, those were fine.  But they don't really make me more interested in a new FF story. 

I would have done the "Return of the Four" with each character getting a four issue limited series leading into reuniting the FF in September. 

19 hours ago, revat said:

I don't think this is going to help.  I just don't think people are into FF.  It wasn't even that bad at the end, but no one was reading it.  I enjoyed hickman's stuff mostly.  People just don't connect with it anymore.  Like Captain America, same thing.  We're just past the innovative stories that can be told to make it a SUPER HIT COMIC.   I'm not saying they shouldn't keep it going, but the million variant treatment doesn't seem like a great idea. 

I think they should have done a little more in the interim with the characters, as in getting some individual titles to draw some attention.  Like a Reed vs Evil Reed comic (yes I know secret wars was like this, but like on a much smaller level).  Or a 'mom and kids' comic with Sue and the kids.  Build some interest, try some stuff out.  I liked Johnny on Inhumans and Thing with the GOTG, those were fine.  But they don't really make me more interested in a new FF story. 

I would have done the "Return of the Four" with each character getting a four issue limited series leading into reuniting the FF in September. 

Could be right, but I'm hoping it's more like what Cates has done with Venom. He's writing an absolutely outstanding story and has managed to clean up 30+ years of messy, inconsistent symbiote writing in just 4 issues. Al Ewing is writing an outstanding Hulk story with a Horror movie vibe. I had no interest in this, but picked up the first issue because the cover was outstanding. Glad I did because the book rocks. Spencer is killing it after just 2 issues of ASM. This new wave keeps me hopeful that FF won't suck. 50+ variants don't interest me at all though. Unless there's an Artgerm variant or something like that, I would be shocked if many stores ordered tons of this book. I'm betting my LCS didn't order many. I'll have to ask. "Return of the Four" sounds cool, I'd read that (thumbsu. I've heard they won't actually get reunited with Ben & Johnny until #3. Wondering if Reed will still have Doom's "God Powers" when he gets back.

2 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

Could be right, but I'm hoping it's more like what Cates has done with Venom. He's writing an absolutely outstanding story and has managed to clean up 30+ years of messy, inconsistent symbiote writing in just 4 issues. Al Ewing is writing an outstanding Hulk story with a Horror movie vibe. I had no interest in this, but picked up the first issue because the cover was outstanding. Glad I did because the book rocks. Spencer is killing it after just 2 issues of ASM. This new wave keeps me hopeful that FF won't suck. 50+ variants don't interest me at all though. Unless there's an Artgerm variant or something like that, I would be shocked if many stores ordered tons of this book. I'm betting my LCS didn't order many. I'll have to ask. "Return of the Four" sounds cool, I'd read that (thumbsu. I've heard they won't actually get reunited with Ben & Johnny until #3. Wondering if Reed will still have Doom's "God Powers" when he gets back.

FYI Artgerm is doing a variant cover for each member of FF. I have them preordered. His variants are about the only I will collect unless a cool one just happens to pop up at my local shop. He gives them to me for cover price.

pssst...hey Gogo...

You took it out of a CGC case!? Do tell more... I'm new to the CGC and have yet to send a book off ( I suffer from postal anxiety). Before I'd heard of the CGC I bought a book some years ago that had a CGC label behind the backing board. Apparently some do "crack them open"?

...from the "show us your 10 centers" thread....

On 7/31/2018 at 7:35 AM, ygogolak said:
On 7/30/2018 at 8:47 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Don't say things that aren't true, and I won't need to be a pedant.

I may know what you mean, but I am not the only one who reads what you write. There are far too many people who think that slabs are sacrosanct and can and should never be opened, and that is a serious flaw in how people treat slabs. 

Slabs can be opened. It's perfectly ok.

No there aren't.

Unfortunately, you're wrong. See the related discussion in this thread.

I have to think if there's a bubble that's going to pop, it's going to be when the movie crowd moves out & finds something else to do. Look at Star Wars. As soon as Han Solo didn't hit it's expected numbers, people came out of the woodworks to start bashing that there are too many movies coming out too soon. Disney instantly started cancelling planned projects. Ant-Man & the WASP was Marvel's 20th MCU movie. Although it was predicted that it wouldn't have crazy high numbers, it is only 17th out of 20 in MCU box office sales & is receiving so-so reviews. The only movies below it are early phase-1 movies. The DC's movies are not even worth talking about. The one thing I could see killing the comic movie the fastest though is Sony. I think their movies are bad. I could see any of their billion movies-in-development bombing so bad that the herd mentality will kick in and and everyone says adios. One other thing that could hurt is when the actors decide they don't want to reprise their role. Someone other than Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man? Lots of people won't bother. Any of these things could take a big bunch of quick money key-flippers with it which wouldn't bother me. I know someone mentioned SDCC was full of these types of buyers that could care less about comics otherwise. 

In my opinion as long as the economy stays stable the comics should do fine. Comics aren't going anywhere neither are the movies. Infinity War was one of my favorite MCU movies and Ant-Man and wasp I liked. You also have to remember you have fox properties going back to Marvel/Disney. X-men and Avengers team up would be awesome. There are decades worth of Comic stories that Disney hasn't tapped into. I know that Disney has used one of the best and most popular story arches in Infinity War but they will come up with something. When that Is I don't know they have used the original Avengers cast a lot. Just like sports cards If you buy what stands out in the hobby It will likely increase over time. The hobby hasn't really changed in that aspect and It never will.

I don't know I'm looking at current prices of vintage low grade keys and maybe there is a bubble. I didn't realize that some of the big books had gotten so expensive. So I could for sure be wrong with my statement earlier. I don't see how new people would ever be able to get into the hobby.

I just started collecting slabbed comic books about a year ago, and I'm not a fan of variants either. One exception that I have, though, is Action Comics #1000's "direct" variants (the 10/12 from DC, not store variants or other).

I hope they do the 8 decade variants, a foil Convention variant, and a blank variant of Detective Comics #1000 next year.